The Dr Daisy Blog
Our Monthly blog by Dr Daisy
Let's talk about Xenoestrogens
What are xenoestrogens?
By definition, xenoestrogens are chemicals, which are not produced in the human body, but have estrogen-like effects.
It is important to note that not all xenoestrogens are harmful.
- Natural xenoestrogens include for example plant based estrogens, known as phytoestrogens. A diet rich in phytoestrogens is often recommended in peri/ post menopausal women.
- Synthetic xenoestrogens include for example ethinyl estradiol, the most common type of estrogen in the Combined Oral Contraceptive Pill. The Combined Pill has been shown overwhelmingly to have huge advantages for female health.
Now let’s also not get confused - Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) does not contain xenoestrogens. The estrogen in most HRT products - is a natural estrogen, chemically identical to the estrogen produced by the premenopausal ovary.
So this article - surprisingly - is not really about HRT at all! - but it is all about hormones.
» Download the pdf to read the full text. (233Kb)
Dr Daisy Mae is a doctor and writer. She has worked extensively as a Specialist in Sexual & Reproductive Health, in the South of England. She has also worked in the field of Menopause for around 25 years, and latterly has run her own specialist Menopause Clinic.
Daisy has just published her first novel - Dating Daisy. She also has a Sexual Health Blog on The Huffington Post UK and writes for Dr Ed, the online doctor service. Daisy will be blogging for us once a month.
You can contact Dr Daisy with ideas and suggestions for the blog or on any specific topics you are interested in.
Dr Daisy's Blog Posts
- Vaginal Estrogen - June 2018
- HRT and loss of libido - Feb/March 2018
- Itís a New Year! 2018 - New beginnings! - January 2018
- My Menopause Christmas tree - December 2017
- Let's talk about Xenoestrogens - November 2017
- Strictly Menopause! - October 2017
The Glynis Kozma BlogSee Glynis Kozmas's Blog
Dr Currie's Blog Posts
- Bio Identicals
- Menopause - what does it mean?
- What's in a Name?
- HRT and breast cancer
- Why do we flush?
- Vaginal dryness - lube or hormones?
- Vaginal dryness, a tale of neglect
- Menopause is everywhere
- Breast Cancer & HRT
- A sore point
- Menopause in the workplace
- Ten Wasted Years
- Menopause Time For Change
Other Guest Blogs