Guest Blog: Kerry Dolan
Let's emphasise the positive
Kerry Dolan appreciates that whilst it's not all good news in the world at the moment there are still some menopause positives worth remembering!
"I am so pleased to see that menopause is becoming a hot topic! With World Menopause Day last Sunday my various feeds were flooded with posts on menopause. All good stuff!
There is, however - and probably inevitably - a preponderance of bad news coming through.
For the many women who have suffered in silence, been ambushed by unexpected health complications or worried about their mental health, it is crucial that we are aware of the potential side effects that can come with perimenopause.
However, it's equally important also to recognise that it isn't all bad news.
So, I hoped it might be useful to re-emphasise some of the positives:
- 25% of women will experience no menopausal symptoms at all (other than the end of their periods)!
- Of those women who do experience symptoms, only a quarter report severe symptoms.
- No more periods!
- Many women experience a renewed zeal for life after menopause.
- Whilst menopause can increase the risk of osteoporosis for some, there are other factors which determine risk and many women are not at risk. A bone density test can help you determine your risk and make choices about supporting your bone health.
- Making simple changes to your lifestyle such as: exercising, improving nutrition and managing stress can significantly improve your health and wellbeing around menopause.
- Simple mind/body techniques have been proven to improve menopausal symptoms such as hot flushes and anxiety.
A positive attitude can really help through some of the harder days you may experience."
Find Kerry on
The Glynis Kozma BlogSee Glynis Kozmas's Blog
The Dr Daisy BlogSee Dr Daisy's Blog
Dr Currie's Blog Posts
- Davina McCall: Sex, Myths and the Menopause
- Bio Identicals
- Menopause - what does it mean?
- What's in a Name?
- HRT and breast cancer
- Why do we flush?
- Vaginal dryness - lube or hormones?
- Vaginal dryness, a tale of neglect
- Menopause is everywhere
- Breast Cancer & HRT
- A sore point
- Menopause in the workplace
- Ten Wasted Years
- Menopause Time For Change
Menopause Matters has been named as one of "The 12 Best Menopause Blogs of the Year" 2017, by an American site, 'Healthline'
- Amanda Jane : A Menopausal Host's Guide to Self-Care During Christmas Holidays - Nov 2023
- Amanda Jane : Menopause and Mental Health - Oct 2023
- Kerry Dolan: Let's emphasise the positive - Oct 2020
- Kerry Dolan: Scrapping the Rule Book on Ageing - June 2020
- Kerry Dolan: Avoiding Menopausal Melt Downs During the Lock Down - March 2020
- Jane Renton: Menopautism - December 2017