Dr.Jane Johnston MBChB, MRCGP
Some women choose to avoid HRT and prefer to use more "Natural "methods to deal with menopausal symptoms. Although this may be effective it is not an entirely risk free approach and little information is available about the effectiveness of preparations.
WHY DO YOU WISH TO CONSIDER ALTERNATIVES TO HRT?
Reasons for avoiding HRT
- HRT is contraindicated (not medically advisable)
- HRT has been tried but not tolerated (usually due to side effects)
- A more "natural" approach is desired - (Increasingly so after detrimental publicity on HRT)
Medical reasons for not using HRT
- Recent Heart attack or poorly controlled angina
- Recent clot in the lung or leg
- Active womb or breast cancer
- Undiagnosed vaginal bleeding
- Newly diagnosed or uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Severe or active liver disease with abnormal liver function test results
The use of alternative therapies is a hugely expanding market. Try to ensure that the products you take are actually doing you some good and their planned effects are not overlapping - thus wasting money.
Advice to Patients leaflet:
Alternatives to HRT (PDF, 127Kb, 7 pages)
Complementary Alternative Therapies
For further reading, we recommend 'The New Natural Alternatives to HRT.' by Marilyn Glenville - on the recommended books page.