Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Mental health  (Read 9240 times)

Dierdre

Re: Mental health
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2023, 11:16:58 AM »

Myself and my siblings have always talked openly about our childhood to family and close friends and I've never felt the need to keep it to myself. I know what you mean though when people are sharing all their happy times and you can't think of many. What you have to think of is all the lovely memories your family have, the memories you have made.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2023, 11:59:49 AM »

Me and my sister sometimes talk about our childhood but its very painful for us both and if I share details with friends etc I find it upsetting as the focus is then on me and people go quiet so I find it easier to blend in the background rather than have sympathy from people which isn't what I want.
That's a good piece of advice as I do reminisce about my son at Christmas time when he was younger. The magical aspect of it and the innocence and he has wonderful memories as do I x

Dierdre

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2023, 03:24:16 PM »

I know what you mean, that's why it's only discussed with friends who have known me for years. I've got lots of memories and more to come with grandchildren now too.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2023, 05:43:51 PM »

Chased up what next steps were after my therapy assessment.  have been referred for High intensity cognitive behaviour therapy. Firstly, I need to complete an onboarding task which involves writing down over 7 days 1 situation daily that triggers my moods. I have to write down what I thought, how I felt and what I did.
Once I submit this I will then be put on a waiting list.
I think its to see if I am psychologically ready for the therapy.
Hopefully my diary will report that I am as I do need coping strategies I am worn out mentally drained and need some practical guidance alongside my Ads

SarahT

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2023, 07:30:57 PM »

That's good to be following a plan of action. Even in the interim of waiting for the course of therapy, it may help you see in plain writing exactly how you are affected by day to day anxieties. Sometimes we simply have to just work through these anxieties just to get through the day. This way you will see more how affected you can feel.
I know you don't like rereading your thoughts and feelings ( that's a painful thing, I do understand) but it will be useful as you carry on to the CBT.
Deep breath girl. X

Losingtheplot

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2023, 07:34:23 PM »

Thank you Sarah T appreciate your advice xxx

Jules

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2023, 10:22:06 AM »

Fortunately, I've never had those symptoms ........ I had restless legs since the age of 11 - could that be the side effect?  I cured mine by eating several bananas a day or taking 'nurofen' at night.

Do you take nurofen regularly? I only ask because it contains ibuprofen and that has damaged my stomach. Its so harmful if its being taken repeatedly.  Do you need an anti inflammatory or will painkillers work? I'm sorry you all have challenges with mental health.  I've a lot of lived experience with it. My grandad was bipolar and my close aunt had clinical depression, back then having EST. My father in law had clinical depression. My son is on anti anxiety medicine having started with depression and anxiety attacks at university and I have my low  moods.  I think sometimes it's in the family. My last job was working on a positive mental health programme. I used to teach art and alongside, talk about how it can be used as a helpful strategy. I turn to my art whenever I'm feeling in a black hole but it's not so easy for people who have more severe problems however I did find the people who came to my sessions, and they had a variety of problems,  found some escape and began to take notice of things outside and around more. I think my son will always take his medication but having seen the state he was in, I'm not objecting. He was about to lose his job. He's turned his life around with meds and CBT.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2023, 05:52:03 PM »

Hi Jules

Thank you for sharing. Yes my dad suffers bi polar and schizophrenia and his brother my uncle who died quite a few years ago also suffered severe mental health issues.
I think so many people do these days. Its good to hear that art helps you. I find listening to music can change my mood even for a short time. Its just when the anxiety takes over my life to the extent I can't function that dark thoughts creep in. Medication is a life saver for me. Hopefully CBT will also benefit me like it has your son. Take Care xxxx

Jules

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2023, 12:51:34 PM »

Hi Jules

Thank you for sharing. Yes my dad suffers bi polar and schizophrenia and his brother my uncle who died quite a few years ago also suffered severe mental health issues.
I think so many people do these days. Its good to hear that art helps you. I find listening to music can change my mood even for a short time. Its just when the anxiety takes over my life to the extent I can't function that dark thoughts creep in. Medication is a life saver for me. Hopefully CBT will also benefit me like it has your son. Take Care xxxx

I have to say, if I'm feeling low, I'm also feeling tired and don't have energy to be creative however it's opened up new avenues and social opportunities for me and I've made new friends, something also reported by people who came to my sessions. Regarding CBT, my son is a very pragmatic person, he was desperate and so did exactly what he was told, put the strategies into place without too much overthinking so it worked. It might not be the case for everyone.  He does still use the strategies too.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2023, 10:39:12 AM »

Well  I am open to trying it. I know it won't be a walk in the park, however I do try and get as much help as I can. I am open to anything that will help get my mental health back on track.
I may also try some counselling following the CBT if I feel I need some additional support

ElkWarning

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »

I've just read this thread and you, LTP, are absolutely heroic.

Don't really want to go into the ins and outs of it, but I've been in weekly therapy for 4.5 years now.  I think I've probably got about another 5 years to go.  I found a heavily reduced rate through local women's services - otherwise I couldn't afford it.

I can't really believe the change in myself, suicidal ideation has gone, no more chronic self-injuring, can just about stop myself spiralling and talk it through / put it behind me / be my actual self.  In other words, recovery is possible.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2023, 09:04:55 PM »

Oh wow Elkwarning that is amazing to hear! I don't feel heroic but thanks for the lovely words.
It is so nice to read a positive experience. You sound like you have been really committed to your therapy and are reaping the benefits. Truly fantastic. Thank you for giving me hope. Xxx
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 09:06:41 PM by Losingtheplot »

Whitewitch1965

• First Flush
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2023, 10:58:43 AM »

Hi
The best advice I can give you, is read the body keeps the score and do the therapies it advises, somatic work which it goes into detail about would be so beneficial at this stage in your life.💚

Losingtheplot

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2023, 08:46:08 PM »

Hi Whitewitch

Thank you for the advice.
I take it you have tried CBT yourself as you seem to speak from experience. Hopefully this is the right therapy for me as friends have told me about some other therapy trauma based which might be more suitable. However, I am prepared to give CBT a try first.

Kathleen

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2023, 09:58:35 AM »

Hello Losingtheplot

The NHS is very keen on CBT as it includes frequent monitoring so progress can  be recorded.

There are obviously other types of therapy available if CBT doesn't suit you. Personally I didn't get on with CBT, probably because it was too practical for my meno fuddled brain and changeable emotions lol.

Take care.

K.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5