Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Mental health  (Read 9102 times)

SarahT

Re: Mental health
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2023, 10:51:53 AM »

I agree with Kathleen, in that although CBT helped me previously, this year I Had talking therapy, a one to one counselling that was better for me in this instance. As you know counselling is very much tailored to each individual. Sometimes just knowing someone is listening to you can bring enormous relief whatever the therapy given.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2023, 11:54:18 AM »

Hi Kathleen

Yes I can see positives in CBT just from the online work I have been given in the interim before therapy.
I feel that I do need to offload too as I feel alot of anger and resentment from the past experiences I have been through which I know have affected me.
I need to accept my past but it is so difficult when certain family members bring up painful memories from past. That is difficult as how can I  move forward if there is a constant reminder. I know CBT focuses on changing way of thinking and I will try it as got nothing to lose right?

Losingtheplot

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2023, 11:58:58 AM »

Hi SarahT

Yes I can appreciate different therapies can help in different ways. I am pleased both have helped you. Either way it's a start for me. CBT may give me some coping skills when the negative thoughts creep in. I know I need to be kinder to myself too.
One step at a time for me. I have started the process so things can surely improve obv I need to commit to the exercises and I am going to write a journal daily and reflect on things so they are out of my mind as that is another issue for me. Over thinking!

SarahT

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2023, 08:19:32 PM »

Yes it's very easy to know our had habits we inflict on ourselves like overthinking things, and far less easy to find a way to change. 🙄 CBT did give me skills to be able to see things clearer and also to help me  slow down when the negative stuff started to spiral. It was 100% worth working on the CBT side of things. You definitely have nothing to lose, all positive steps forward will help. And of course the therapist will be there to work with you.

It does take some courage to seek therapy as we know we may be opening ourselves up for stuff we kind of prefer to keep hidden away, ( easier not to face things, that's me)  so remember to tell yourself that you are doing a positive action, a kindness to yourself. Xx

Losingtheplot

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2023, 08:51:07 PM »

I will give any therapy my best shot. Just hope I don't have a long wait to get started with an actual therapist. Thank you fof the kind words and I am proud that I have managed to make this move towards helping myself, I just need to try and commit myself as motivation isn't great at the minute.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]