Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 78

Author Topic: Re: How are you today?  (Read 134037 times)

Songbird

Re: How are you today?
« Reply #690 on: October 14, 2023, 02:29:33 PM »

Yep. I've had the heating on for most of the day, CLKD 🥶..
No no songbird,Mr jaypo peeing me off too,so it's you and me  ;D Cunard won't know what's hit it  ;D ;D
Fab idea Jaypo  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #691 on: October 14, 2023, 03:28:16 PM »

Hail, frost and wintery conditions 4cast  :o.  My hands are cold.  Fire laid.  Might put the heating on low to warm me through, if I cuddle into my cashmere throw I'll drop off to sleep and probably miss strictly  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #692 on: October 14, 2023, 04:05:54 PM »

Warm here still in the south of england. 20 degrees still in the house but I've brought my tenders in (getting into gardening speak  ;D) and the log burner is ready even though I feel guilty nowadays using it  :(

CLKD

« Reply #693 on: October 14, 2023, 04:23:05 PM »

Why Taz?  A wood burner saves most of the heat [80%] going up the chimney.  We've got a full store of logs. 

Stuffed full of piazza  :D

Taz2

« Reply #694 on: October 15, 2023, 07:17:47 AM »

It's to do with particulates and the effect on the lungs and heart. Our stove is 7 years old so can no longer be manufactured as new guidelines came in to force last year.https://www.politico.eu/article/cities-wood-burning-stove-energy-air-pollution/#:~:text=Smoke%20from%20wood%2Dburning%20stoves%20contains%20fine%20particulate%20matter%20and,of%20asthma%20and%20heart%20failure. There's also the pollution risk inside the home too each time you open the door to put another log on. We used ours instead of the gas central heating last winter though  Very cosy and cheaper but we are aware of the polluting aspects. Our sweep is very genned up on it all.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/indoor-wood-stoves-release-harmful-emissions-our-homes-study-finds

Taz x  :-\

Penguin

« Reply #695 on: October 15, 2023, 07:22:33 AM »

We have an open fire, which is even worse unfortunately. I love the smell of it and it really heats the room well, but having read up on it, we won't be use much at all this year except at Christmas.

Hubby needs to bleed the radiators before we can turn on heating though- hoping he'll do that today as it is really cold in our house.

Taz2

« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2023, 07:28:11 AM »

I love bleeding  radiators and did ours yesterday  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2023, 07:40:33 AM »

Taz - that's propaganda.  Simply hype because the government wants to get rid of wood burners ........... it doesn't mean that your wood burner is putting out any more particulates today than it was yesterday.  Our Sweep attends every year and is angry that the government, who know nowt about particulates etc., are believing 'others'.

Why would there be a danger from wood burners which are an enclosed system, against open hearths ?  The point is that un-seasoned wood is now illegal to burn, i.e. those sticks picked up from petrol stations unless marked 'kiln dried'.  Forget what you read. 

Our Sweep checks the particles when he does our 'clean'. 

CLKD

« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2023, 07:47:41 AM »

“If people want to use wood burners we would recommend minimising the time in which the stove is open during lighting or refuelling as that will help in reducing the exposure to the emissions released indoors.

“Over the longer term, we recommend that measures be taken to raise awareness of the risks posed by log burning stoves due to the indoor air pollution they produce. Future research needs to be done on a wider range of stove types and user groups to understand the full extent to which this indoor air pollution is occurring.”

It's someone looking for another Research Grant!  I can't find who has sponsored this .... and in all honesty, how many of us keep the door opens for longe enough, that 'harmful emissions' would escape?  I'll send it to our Sweep to get his take ...........
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 07:51:45 AM by CLKD »

Taz2

« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2023, 08:30:38 AM »

If you can smell any smoke when you open the door then there will be particulates. How did your sweep check your particulate levels? I guess he swept then waited while you lit the stove? In cities the particulate problem is obviously a higher concern due to the amount of stoves. It's something to be aware of as even burning seasoned wood causes them. It's not propaganda but a real concern especially for those with heart and lung conditions. Whatever we choose to heat our homes seems to cause problems of some sort.  :(

Kathleen

« Reply #700 on: October 15, 2023, 08:44:57 AM »

Hello ladies.

I have a relative who has worked with the scientists and others on the effect of wood burning stoves and the risks to health are real.

A neighbour had a stove installed a few years ago but using it exacerbated her son's asthma so now it is just a decorative item in the lounge!

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #701 on: October 15, 2023, 12:27:20 PM »

Our sweep lights a curly thingy to make sure that smoke goes up the chimney and not into the room.

Me - weary .

Taz2

« Reply #702 on: October 15, 2023, 01:21:24 PM »

Our sweep lights a curly thingy to make sure that smoke goes up the chimney and not into the room.

Yes that's standad sweep behaviour 🙂 It won't measure the particulates though. I remember my dad sweeping our chimney when I was young and waiting for the brush to pop out of the top. It seemed really magical to me. It's all very sanitised nowadays

Taz x

jaypo

« Reply #703 on: October 15, 2023, 01:47:37 PM »

Oh yes Taz,me too, I remember as a small child,running outside JUST to see the brush pop out of the chimney  :D

CLKD

« Reply #704 on: October 15, 2023, 01:50:24 PM »

And shouting it if came out of the neighbour's chimney!

Very tired.  And cold. 

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 78