Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Stock Piling in panic  (Read 15994 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Stock Piling in panic
« on: March 15, 2020, 09:50:29 AM »

Lots of articles this morning advising not to stock pile.  But this situation should have been for seen by the Supermarkets etc..

In the 1970s when sugar was short, one had to buy a tenners worth of goods in order to get a 1lb bag.  Same with potatoes, one had to buy groceries and not simply spuds.  As DH lived at the top of a steep hill and shops were at the bottom ........ he gave up sugar ;-)

It is easy enough for Managers to take initiative and put signs up to remind people not to stock pile.  Common sense seems to have gone out of the window on both sides to the check out desk.  Today I need celery, bread and loo rolls - I can probably guess which will be the easiest to find  ;D

Donnadoobie

Re: Stock Piling in panic
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »

I have been stockpiling for brexit for the last 12 months, a little at a time.  I have ample toilet roll, flour and bread making, toiletries and washing stuff...........  Freezers are always well stocked too.

People laughed at me for doing so.  They are not laughing at me now.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 10:42:07 AM »

I have been stockpiling for brexit for the last 12 months, a little at a time.  I have ample toilet roll, flour and bread making, toiletries and washing stuff...........  Freezers are always well stocked too.

People laughed at me for doing so.  They are not laughing at me now.

I am!   ;D   ;D   What possible pleasure or satisfaction can people get from having piles of stuff knowing that others don't. Is it a smug feeling?   Is it a feeling of being smarter than others?  Or is it just that greed and selfishness takes over?

I had to shop on Thursday and just bought the usual stuff. I didn't buy anything extra. 

The major supermarkets have written a letter today asking people NOT to stockpile. They all say they have plenty of everything but if people stockpile it doesn't benefit anybody. 

Foxylady

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »

Not stockpiling just bought a few tins soup, some pasta, rice, beans and frozen veg/fruit sooner than I normally would!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »

I don't think anyone has the right to judge what others will do.

My neighbour told me earlier that a man she knows can't get gluten free pasta etc. because it's been grabbed from the shelves.  So although he may not die of the virus ..........

Managers have been TOO SLOW to react!  They do not have to serve anyone that enters their store and should not have waited for the Government!  They can easily stand at the till and explain that in order to keep stock flowing sufficiently, one item per person is enough. 

3 times a year we buy bulk.  I have kitchen roll at a quid each ;-)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »

Can someone give me some money so I can stockpile please ;D?

Very good point Teresa and exactly what my OH said this morning when we were discussing this.  Some people just get by each week and can't afford to buy extra.  OH said he heard that foodbanks have had a big drop in donations too.  These are the very people who need food not people with already bulging cupboards. 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:45:31 PM »

My thoughts too stellajane  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »

People were the healthiest in recorded memory during WWII ;-). No sugar.  Few fats.   Living on 1 oz butter per person a week  :o

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 03:25:07 PM »

I tried to do my normal online shop. No chance. Fully booked up at all supermarkets, except Waitrose, for next week. The site kept freezing and took forever, so I added 4 ombars (healthy and expensive chocolate!) so this week I will have to go shopping, even though I'm in a risk group. Now I'm worried about my very old parents who cannot go shopping and rely on online shopping.

Joaniepat

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 03:54:51 PM »

Too right Ju Ju. I just tried to book my next online order and my usual supermarket had no slots until 10 days time. I placed an order with them anyway, but also managed to book an order with another company who can deliver in 7 days time. If the earlier one comes up with the goods I will cancel the second one. It is ridiculous, because now I have taken up two slots.

If the Government has it's way, as a septuagenarian I will be "confined to barracks" soon. I don't drive so am trying to minimize shopping trips. Can't win  :bang:

Joaniepat

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 05:35:48 PM »

Not cynical at all, stellajane. I think you are right.

My mother acquired a laptop in her eighties and was a regular online shopper for all sorts of things. She saw other folk in her retirement complex having their groceries delivered by online ordering and thought "I want that!". I appreciate it was unusual for someone of her age though, and having no previous computer experience.

JP x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »

I nipped into Lidl this afternoon for porridge oats for the morning.  Whole sections were empty.  No bread, no pasta, no rice, no toilet rolls, no hand sanitiser and hardly any kitchen rolls. Most of the freezers were empty.   Only desserts and ice cream left.  I bought my oats and came out.  The lad on the till said he will be glad to go home as it has been absolutely mental.

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »

Tesco in Trowbridge doesn't let you through the checkout with more than 4/5 of the same thing.Email from Sainsbury's today assuring me their shelves are well stocked and advising NOT to panic buy

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 07:51:40 PM »

Advising not but what are the Managers actually doing at the Tills  :-\ ?

Two hoots

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »

I have 9 toilet rolls, most of the time it's just 2 of us but on weekends can be 3, OMG this sounds like a maths exam question  ;D I feel I should buy more  :madeyes:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19