Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 254734 times)

san

Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »

How's everyone doing with the 'oldies'. I'm off to visit a couple of neighbours today. Make sure they all have everything they need in case the promised snow comes.

Bette. Hope all is ok with your in-laws and your mum.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »

Mine is back to ringing on a Monday morning and never any other time  ::)
She is getting back to Church and Clubs to keep her occupied and plans to take up sewing again

san

« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »

She is getting back to Church and Clubs to keep her occupied and plans to take up sewing again
Good she's getting back into a routine. Gives you peace of mind.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »

Want to swap CLKD?  I ring my Mum every day at some point.  I tell her I like to catch her out so I ring her at different times  ;D  She tells me what she has eaten at every meal, how she prepared the vegetables, how long she cooked them, which saucepan she used, what it tasted like.  If it's a day she goes to Luncheon Club I hear what she ate, who she sat with, who has died and how long she slept when she got home.    Bless her heart, I love her really but there are only so many times you need to be told how to boil an egg. ;D

Taz2

« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

Does she ring you if you don't ring her Penny?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »

On the days that I am not at mums I call at 9am then again at 1pm again at 4:30pm and again at 7pm.

I run out of things to talk to her about and as I cook her meals we cant even talk about that  ::).

She has been known to call me in-between times. My sister is there on the days I am not but she has one day alone so sis and I call the same amount of times each.

Its wearing but I do understand that she wants to talk to someone so we call and find something to chat about.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »

Mum talks over me these days but at least I know she's fiesty again  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:53 PM »

Mine just talks. She is very deaf and although she has hearing aids they don't work very well on the phone.

I just let her go on and add bits in the gaps  ;D

Honeyb
x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

Does she ring you if you don't ring her Penny?

Taz x

She used to but we seemed to have slipped into this pattern.  I ring her  around 5 if I've got to go out in the evening. I never ring her later than 9 pm because she goes to bed early. So it's somewhere in between.

Another pattern that's slipped in ..... we start talking and then the phone goes dead.  She must move her head and knock the button.  I think she's talking to herself for a while because I ring back and it's engaged.  ;D Then I think I'll wait for her to ring me and she doesn't, so I ring her again.  It happened twice in one call the other night. ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »

I must just share this phone conversation from Thurs night.
It still makes me laugh thinking about it.  ;D

I'm ringing her and phone rings for ages. A weary voice finally says "hello".
Me "Are you OK Mum?"
Mum "Yes, I was just asleep there."
Me "Oh sorry.  I thought if I rang now you'd be up from your afternoon sleep."
Mum "Oh I am. I got up about 4pm and started knitting and must have fallen asleep again."
Me "well I'm ringing early because I'm off to knitting group tonight."
Mum "Well you'd better hurry up, you're going to be late."
Me "What?"
Mum "It's 10 to 8"
Me "It's not, it's 10 to 5."
Mum "Oh right that's because my head is on the side."
 ;D ;D

I have another funny phone call to share but will save that for another time.

san

« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2013, 07:26:54 PM »

Has anyone read "lost for words" by Deric Longden? It was a tv play too but I think the book has more in it. There are some funny conversations in the book between him and his mother. I'm reading it at the moment ..

CLKD

« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »

No - I've got most of his other books.  He writes as he talks and is very humerous

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2013, 10:23:37 PM »

Has anyone read "lost for words" by Deric Longden? It was a tv play too but I think the book has more in it. There are some funny conversations in the book between him and his mother. I'm reading it at the moment ..

I remember the play on TV - didn't Thora Hird play his mother?  Going back a lot of years but now you've mentioned it, I think mine and Mum's conversations are heading that way. ;D

I rang her tonight and we talked for about 10 minutes and I'd said goodbye several times and each time she'd remembered something else.  Then she must have moved her head and switched the phone off ..... I didn't ring her back either. ;)  I will pull her leg about that tomorrow.

san

« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »

I remember the play on TV - didn't Thora Hird play his mother?  Going back a lot of years but now you've mentioned it, I think mine and Mum's conversations are heading that way. ;D
Yes Thora Hird was the mother. It was your post that made me think of the book PF  ;D

grandy

« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »

Hi All - I contributed to the early part of this thread but have been out of touch for some time. Just an update on my Mum who has vascular dementia and mobility and sight problems. She is going into a residential home on Monday for a trial period to see how she likes it. It has been a really difficult time over Christmas and New Year and this week has been particularily bad. Not looking forward to taking her to the home on Monday. She blows hot and cold - one minute wanting to go in and the next saying she has nade a mistake so I don't know what her mood will be like on Monday. Wish me luck!!!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74