Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Late Menopause Over 55  (Read 46848 times)

HazelnutMilk

• First Flush
Re: Late Menopause Over 55
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2023, 06:10:56 AM »

I'm only 51 but still regular as clockwork - closer together and flooding but no sign of stopping. My  best friend (50) is done and dusted with it all, and my sister was done by about 50 I think. I guess I'm too early to say I'm a late menopause but I do feel like I'm a bit behind the curve.

Taz2

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2023, 06:35:26 AM »

The average age to reach menopause seems to be between 51 and 55. Not sure if this means post meno (one year without a period) or just that you've had your last period by 55. I don't think you are behind the curve. I was still having fairly regular periods at 53 having had peri symptoms for four years including nine months with no periods before they began again. I started HRT at 53 so I don't know when I'd have stopped natural periods.

Sorry that you are having flooding. The fact that your periods are now happening closer together is a sign of peri menopause though.

Taz x  :)

SarahT

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2023, 07:38:35 AM »

I think it is slowly becoming accepted that ages of menopause do not always fit the text books, both in early and late meno.

In my experience 51 seems reasonable to still be peri. I am almost 57, which is quite unusual it seems. And get pms and sometimes spotting ( am on mirena so no real periods) every 4 weeks without fail. No sign of finishing or even becoming erratic.  My sister was 58 and had erratic periods before finally becoming post meno.

It is hard not to compare with other women and their own experiences. I get very frustrated \ angry that most of my friends had all finished by 50!  But like Taz, I don't think you are behind the curve. It's gotta stop sometime,  but that doesn't help us still going through it. Watch your iron levels maybe if the flooding continues.?

Take care x

ACP

• First Flush
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2024, 08:22:06 AM »

Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice please. I started sequential HRT when I was 52, with fairly regular periods.  I'm now 55 but still have a regular period every month on day 8 of the progestogen. I don't know whether I should swap to continuous H.R.T now I'm over 55? I don't know whether It's a period or just a withdrawal bleed, so not sure if I can move from sequential to continuous yet

sheila99

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2024, 09:17:57 AM »

I think you could try it if you want to but if it was me I'd leave it a bit longer. As you bleed on day 8 perhaps it's more likely to be your own period. If you use utrogestan the 25/28 routine can be useful in late peri.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2024, 12:38:50 PM »

I was still having fairly regular periods age 57 when I went on sequi. I changed to conti 2 years later due to headaches and wanting more hormonal stability. However, since then I'm now age 62 I have had frequent episodes of bleeding, cramping etc. The menopause clinic said it may be breakthrough bleeding as I may not have been menopausal when I started the conti regime. None of the gynae's would countenance that I may not be menopausal at 60 + and each episode of bleeding they wanted to investigate.

Anyway, just to warn you don't be surprised if you do get episodes of bleeding. The disadvantage of this is that they may be irregular unlike the sequi regime.

You can try and see, you could always swap back if your GP agrees. Good luck

Hannahlou

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2024, 07:09:36 PM »

I am 55 and still having periods. The last couple of months they are every 2 weeks. I’m yet to miss a period.

Can’t wait for the end of periods, I  I’m aware that other symptoms can get worse though.

The only other symptom I have at the moment is anxiety which I never used to have

I’m so glad I was pointed in the direction of this thread and no longer feel alone being this age and still having periods
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 09:35:48 AM by Hannahlou »

DottyD68

« Reply #142 on: Today at 04:20:48 PM »

Hi ACP,

You situation sounds similar to mine. I was peri when I started HRT at 53. Still having periods so synced sequi (gel & utrogestan 14/28) to my period pattern. After a few months my bleed would occur during the utrogestan phase. I assumed it was my own period breaking through and not a withdrawal bleed. The medics did not voice concerns, however at regular intervals from age 54 they have encouraged/insisted I move to conti. I tried but did not get on with continuous utrogestan so reverted back to sequi which was ok (not perfect and with previous breakthrough/withdrawl bleeds). It was only when i read somewhere that the bleeds could be because the utrogestan was not being absorbed and the bleeds were early withdrawal bleeds not my own breakthrough bleeds I became concerned that the utrogestan was maybe not providing me with adequate opposing protection. At 55 I decided to have a break from HRT for 3 months to see "where I was". My symptoms returned so I wanted to go back on HRT and under pressure from GP started a new conti regime on patches.

Whether it is because the progesterone in the patches suits me better or because my own hormones don't seem to be fluctuating as wildly or because I am now meno (who knows!), things seem to be more settled after 3.5 months. I am now nearly 56. I had a bleed after a month and a phase of very light spotting after 2 months which I believe is common when on a new regime so no idea if it was my own breakthrough bleed or not.

If you are happy to stay on sequi and not under pressure from GP to move to conti then I would stay on it for now. I believe from this forum there is a very very small risk increase of build up of endometrial lining if you are meno on sequi, which is why GPs want to move to conti and 55 is the meno age their guidelines state. If you want to try conti and don't get on with it you can always go back to sequi. The guidelines are very black and white but the reality is not and not everyone is meno at 55 as other ladies have stated.

Hope you get sorted.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]