Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Late Menopause Over 55  (Read 45191 times)

Machair

Late Menopause Over 55
« on: July 26, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »

I am starting this thread as recently there have been one or two members joining in the category of women experiencing late menopause with periods going on after 55, and they seem to struggle finding somewhere to gain help and support. I am in this category, and have had the benefit of a wonderful thread on here that I started, but often women can't find what they are looking for as it has become a lovely chatty thread, but in that a new member may find it hard to find information.

It would be wonderful if this forum could have two sections- one for early menopause under 45 and one for late over 55 - I think there would be much support for this. In the meantime please contribute to this thread if you are 55 or over and still not post menopausal. Lets also keep this factual so that other ladies can find help and support.

So with this in mind. I am 57 and still not quite there- last period April. I have no hot flushes and am still very hormonal at times, but my periods are now lighter and much less often, but are only spotting and can be managed with a panty liner. I have 4 children all grown up and have CFS/ME. When my friends were post menopausal at 52 I was still as regular as clockwork. My grannie lived to 102 and her Mum had babies in her late forties. So feel free to join me and let's have a late menopause thread.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Late Menopause Over 55
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:52:11 PM »

I think that's a brilliant idea! 

Happytobe

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »

I've found this thread Machair.
I'm 56 and will be 57 next January.Last period 5 weeks ago very very light spotting. Before that erratic for 18 months longest gap 4 months. Dr thought I had post meno bleeding when my longest gap was only 9 weeks!  So had to go through scan and biopsy. .All ok. I knew the bleeding I was having were periods as  they felt like periods always had. I'd been to Dr with something else and the discussion just somehow arose. She's a lovely Dr and very thorough but a bit too hasty in this case. Obviously I was worried and it was a horrible few weeks.
Having meno symptoms. .hot flushes, not sleeping well, tired, no energy and little motivation at times, foggy brain, low mood and some anxiety although I have had health anxiety since my teens. My anxiety had been better but last few months seems to be a little worse.
Had a course of CBT which I did find very useful for health anxiety and some other issues concerning the mental health of my daughter...long story.
I do think a later meno fools me into thinking I'm younger than I am.  ;D

Machair

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:29 PM »

So sorry Happytobe I have only just noticed your posting on my thread. Lovely to have you in our late menopause group! How are you doing? I haven't had a period since April but have plenty of hormonal feelings recently! I noticed also you mentioned period pains but only slight spotting in August- I have had this too in the past as many of us have.Feels like a period wants to start but not enough hormones to start it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:33:32 PM by Machair »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »

15 years since my last period and I still get the occasionally pains, 'oh no, not after all this time!' springs to mind

Machair

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »

Hello Hope22

Wonderful to hear from you, I think more of us are later than it appears, as many like yourself just accept it as your sister did too! Did your periods get lighter and lighter in the end? I was regular till 53/54 - the age when many people are post menopause. Not really had hot flushes yet either- did you have those?

Machair

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 05:21:18 PM »

I know what you mean and you think it will never end but at last you have 5 years behind you now!
My last one was so light in April it only needed a panty liner for a few days. Hope it is the last but I don't think it will be as I feel very hormonal on and off!

ancient runner

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »

56 here, on HRT and I think still having light periods mid HRT cycle - it's v regular and I get cramps so pretty sure about it. Granny went on to 60 apparently. VA is a bugger.

Machair

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »

Hi Ancient Runner. That is amazing 60! Well I wish I could ask my grannie as she lived to 102. However her Mum had 14 children and her last one was just before she was 50.
I think it is more common that I first thought to go on longer than the average. I think it is just the way that 51/52 is seen as the normal is a worry to many women who do not fit that pattern, and see themselves as abnormal rather than different.
Were you having periods when you started on HRT? I was regular to 53/54 which is why I think I have gone on this long as didn't see much change in cycles till then and certainly no skipping.

ancient runner

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »

I went on HRT in Jan because of VA problems, and at that point hadn't had one since September, and May before that I think- but had been regular until about 54 I think. I have a mate of the same age who's also been having regular periods until pretty recently. I agree, people do seem really surprised by it - including even one of the practice nurses.

Bluebell

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »

Hi Machair, just came upon your posting. I had my last period aged 59. I thought I would sail through the menopause but unfortunately I haven't. 😬
I am now 63 and still have terrible hot flushes, night sweats, aching bones and at times over the last 4 years bouts of frightening palpitations. I recently tried HRT in the form of Evorel Conti Patches but they made me feel really anxious - although they did put away the flushes and night sweats. I decided to come off HRT after 5 months and all the symptoms are back again. I think at the back of my mind I was concerned about starting HRT at this age? I have been on vagifem for the last couple of years and that has helped with dryness and painful bladder. It's a really difficult one wondering whether to soldier on with it all or try a different HRT.
I'm glad you started this thread for the older ladies. 😉 👏🏼

Machair

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »

Hello Carol,

So lovely to hear from you. Aged 59 gives me hope (I am 57)! What were your periods like up to the point when they stopped and what age were you when the flushes and sweats started?

My periods have become very light (Last one April and only needed panty liners) but still feel like I might have more as I am very hormonal.

Hope things improve for you soon, it must be so hard.x

Bluebell

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 09:01:17 PM »

Hi Machair, my periods leading up to stopping were some months flooding and then towards the end lighter. The hot flushes and night sweats started not long after - then stopped after three months and I thought that was it. But alas they started again and never gave up. I also had and still sometimes have bad palpitations. 😬 x

Machair

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »

That is so interesting Carol as we are very similar. I have not really experienced the hot flushes yet as I am producing my own oestrogen into my later fifties. I guess it is waiting to happen soon! Did you have any long gaps before your periods stopped altogether?

Bluebell

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »

Hi Machair, I don't think I did actually. I rember when they had stopped for a year I then had another bleed...had it checked out and everything was fine. I think a few people have that.
I think my worst symptom of menopause has been racing heart and palpitations.
Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones and don't have too many symptoms. Most of my friends have sailed through the Menopause not experiencing a hot flush or a nightsweat. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10