Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Late Menopause Over 55  (Read 46058 times)

Dee

Re: Late Menopause Over 55
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2021, 01:31:54 PM »

Hi Helenhelena  hope you ok lm just about feeling bit better ads kicking in morbid thoughts fading a little other symptoms still here but bearable hope the worst is over keep in touch and we will get through this together
Dee x

Floo36

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2021, 09:58:35 AM »

I’m 53 and still getting periods all over the place every few weeks then once a month again, heavy one minute then barely anything. 

Gynaikeíos

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2021, 06:45:46 AM »

57 now and cycles skip to two of normal number of days between, then a blank cycle. Reading this forum I have learned that a pain I have could be ovulation pain which I did not used to notice. So that is on my list for telling my GP.

I hope everybody is managing well and I send best wishes to everybody.

Helenhelena

« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »

Just an update . Shall be 57 very soon. Suddenly menopause symptoms have strengthened and it all feels a bit different. Now gone 11 months withous a period. Several times it has felt that my body is trying to have one. But hasnt. So this might be it. i would love to up the HRT if possible as the itching has become very ntense and unpleasant. Will post on another board about that :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2022, 01:29:13 PM »

A lack of oestrogen may cause the itchy feelings  >:(.  Using a good moisturiser might help.

CLKD

« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2022, 06:13:57 PM »

Hi!  welcome here too.  We are a Mine of Info..

I think that we are offered mammograms on the NHS to a certain age after which we can request if worried; we won't automatically be called.  Same with smears ........ I think  :-\ though I consider the latter important.

Do read the vaginal atrophy thread ;-). 

ange63

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2022, 05:40:20 AM »

Hi, I had last period at 53 and then 5 years post meno.    My point is don't think 5 years post meno means you have missed the worst it can get.   I started worst symptoms 7 months ago aged 58.    I had thought I had managed to plough through meno and was waiting for the magical 5 years post and being through it.  NOT!! turns out you can have late onset symptoms at any time and I am now struggling with worst meno symptoms ever and has totally ruined my plans for an active semi retirement.   Sorry to be a misery but the end of periods does not necessarily mean ending of symptoms - it can get you any time.

CLKD

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »

oh ange63  :foryou:

Helenhelena

« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2022, 09:10:24 PM »

Yes Ange63 also :hug:

Helenhelena

« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2022, 09:14:12 PM »

And yes,  to update I was finally 12 months period free in March. So at age 57 officially at menopause at last. Feel reasonably good. HRT invaluable and would not be without it. No unbearable symptoms now. So wont be posting on this board any more but all the best to everyone  :thankyou: :foryou: :vibe:

Fiestalady66

• First Flush
« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2023, 05:42:12 PM »

Hi new member here so pleased to find this thread I was starting to feel a bit of an oddity I am 56 turn 57 in a couple of days and still having periods just had a tranvaginal scan because my gp was saying I was too old not to be post menopausal but the consultant said my lining was 3mm which was reassuring so he just wants to monitor me for a few months the longest gap between periods I have managed is 4 months really hope I am approaching the finishing line soon so fed up with it all

SarahT

« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2023, 06:29:19 PM »

Hi Fiesta
Welcome to the forum, and I lconsider women like myself,  a bit vintage. There are a few of us older women who don't fit neatly in to the text books. Am sick of hearing the average age for menopause is 51. Well, we're not are we?
I am also 56,  and up until end of last year was getting periods every single month without fail. Never missed a month. So what with 40+ years of massive pmt mood swings, then being hit with peri symtoms, I tried several (failed) ways to cope before going into estradot patches and the mirena coil. The coil, after time to settle has stopped my periods (despite an odd bleed last month) which in turn has helped by my emotional upheaval and despair with periods, and the worsening mood swings.

You are not alone, late onset menopause is very real and brings its own set of problems too.

This forum is packed with knowledge and experience and support and understandng.
I am grateful to know you are hereto Fiesta!

If I can help you with anything, do ask. If I don't know, chances are there  is someone here who will!
X

Hurdity

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2023, 08:43:35 AM »

Hi fiestalady

:welcomemm:

Hi new member here so pleased to find this thread I was starting to feel a bit of an oddity I am 56 turn 57 in a couple of days and still having periods just had a tranvaginal scan because my gp was saying I was too old not to be post menopausal but the consultant said my lining was 3mm which was reassuring so he just wants to monitor me for a few months the longest gap between periods I have managed is 4 months really hope I am approaching the finishing line soon so fed up with it all

Your doc is ridiculous saying that. The stats (so I've read) are that in Western society 80% of women are post-meno by age 54 so that leaves a very substantial minority who are not!!!! You docs should be aware of this, but because of your age and because of these stats, obviously the further past 54 you get the fewer women there will be who have not reached menopause, so it is wise to get checked out because problems will be more likely and potentially more serious at that age.

So apart from that comment by your doc, they did the right thing to refer you. The fact that your lining was so thin is great!! When was the scan taken in relation to your last bleed? Also are you on any sort of progestogen contraception like Mirena or POP?

Hurdity x

Greenfields

• First Flush
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2023, 10:53:32 PM »

Im new to this forum, but great to find this thread as i too am 57 and still having periods! i have also had to have a scan and awaiting results. Ive been having hot flushes and also rapid heart beating, but also just found out my thyroid is slightly overactive, (im underactive) so unsure whether it's menopause or thyroid....thoroughly fed up of the anxiety though  :( again this could be either!

SarahT

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2023, 04:28:11 PM »

Hiya Greenfield,  welcome!

Two good things, you are having investigations as to what may be going on with your body, and you have joined this forum for some great advice and support. Threads on thyroid on here too. In fact almost every subject seems to be covered.

Am 56 and only stopped periods due to having mirena coil fitted. Few of us non here in vintage age. X
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10