Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply  (Read 17432 times)

Penguin

Re: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 09:56:18 AM »

littleminnie - some young people have been hospitalised due to VAPE reactions, 1 as young as 11  :o. What were her parents thinking  >:(

Autumnwalks - yep, January is 'about right' because every 1 suddenly remembers that they require a sweep B4 they light up.  Which is why ours attends our burner and chimney in May/June.  He takes his family on Holiday in Jan/Feb.  ;)

Bird mess and debris shouldn't get into a wood burner  :-\.  It's still better to use than an open fire which emits 85% of the heat, straight up the chimney.  However, that man in the Red Outfit moans every year  ;D  :whist:

Are you saying, from a particle perspective, that open fires are safer? I have been so reluctant to use ours because of the risk, thought it was worse than wood burner tbh. Would be glad to hear otherwise.

Chimney sweep coming in 3 weeks though so I'll hold off until then at least. Have to wait as we had a seagull nest on our roof this year and last!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2023, 09:58:50 AM »

I don't know whether particulates have been recorded with open fires.  It seems that the Government wants to rid the country of gas and now wood burners so have all these 'tests' done to prove a point.  And with any government of the day, apart from discussing with our Sweep, I don't listen to any scare mongering.

Coal fires caused smog = deaths particularly in the 1950s. 

Our Sweep fixed a thing on top of our chimney which confuses the birds and as for that man in the Red Suit ........

Penguin

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2023, 10:04:54 AM »

Lol, kids here young enough to refuse to let us light a fire on Christmas eve!

littleminnie

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2023, 10:51:26 AM »

Penguin - I would have thought wood burners are safer than an open fire.   We have a log burner and we love it but I just think the trend will wear off as the government seems to want to get rid of them.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2023, 11:23:01 AM »

We R however approaching an Election Year ;-)

Penguin

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2023, 11:36:04 AM »

Penguin - I would have thought wood burners are safer than an open fire.   We have a log burner and we love it but I just think the trend will wear off as the government seems to want to get rid of them.

Doesn't seem to be much point switching at the moment if the focus is on getting rid of them. I'll just use the open fire sparingly, maybe on a Sunday afternoon when it's really cold. Will have to have a look around to see what the safest wood is, I think it is the extra dry stuff?

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2023, 11:37:29 AM »

Kiln dried: anything else sold is now illegal, i.e. the stuff at Petrol stations and garden centres, best to check the labels.

Penguin

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2023, 11:40:15 AM »

Husband just said our wood is kiln dried so that's good.

littleminnie

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2023, 12:00:38 PM »

Yes we use only use kiln dried. Having  a log burner fitted is expensive now too, someone we know has just been quoted almost 5k.

Penguin

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »

Yes we use only use kiln dried. Having  a log burner fitted is expensive now too, someone we know has just been quoted almost 5k.

Blimey I can think of better uses for 5k right now. Probably moving next year anyway so I'll see what new house has. Guess that's something I'll have to look at too - if new house already has one, I'll have to make sure it's compliant.

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2023, 04:00:14 PM »

That's something that the owners of any house with wood burner should put on their information pack, backed up by a Sweep.  We get a Certificate to show the Fire Service - what good that would do though, as it's in the filing cabinet  ::) - under fire place.

I can't remember what we paid for ours.  There was a lot of choice, we had good advice from the people who fitted it. We didn't need a chimney/flue lining though many companies will insist ...... even if the chimney is OK without.

What was the 5K covering exactly? 

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »

Looked at the price from the company that fitted ours 5 years ago:  Aquaflame :

Some are multi-fuel, others wood: some can be cooked on the top, others have a chimney which goes up the flue in the way  ::)

VIEW 5 MIDLINE T (MULTIFUEL) [photo]
ex-show room model in black with glass door

£1,449.00 £1,149.00

Multi-fuel | 4.9kW nominal output

Suitable for smoke controlled areas

Upto 84% efficient

Was £1449 – Now £1149

littleminnie

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2023, 06:36:54 PM »

This was to go in a kitchen/diner/lounge.  Not in a fireplace with a chimney.
The price was for the log burner plus fitting.

SarahT

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2023, 06:56:06 PM »

In an older house with iffy underfloor heating (oil fired) a woodburner is essential and far cheaper to use than central heating. We are at home most of the day and language the heating on a couple of hours in morning then again evening. The woodburner is heats up our main room and retains the heat.

We are rural, so have are classed as off main grid. Looked into  having a new boiler fitted using green electricity, but the running costs are currently four times higher than oil. Costs mean we will need to stick with oil, and wood as an additional heat source.

Just had ours swept, birds and nests can affect the chimneys, sweep said a grid to protect from such things is not viable for some chimneys, definitely use their knowledge when they come to being swept. And house insurers often need an up to date certificate too.

Autumnwalks

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2023, 11:17:41 PM »

CKLD it's the chimney that has the bird mess etc down it, not the actual woodburner stove. It's a big stone fireplace in a rural property.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6