Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply  (Read 17209 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« on: October 15, 2023, 08:17:59 AM »

This is Old news :   Open fires are worse than stoves. They haven’t even mentioned that.

Stoves are better than open fires. The  Clean Air Act research had proved that, and the new modern stoves are even better still. They are only just behind oil fired boilers in terms of efficiency and cleanliness.

Pm2.5 is produced at higher levels when the stove is started, slumbering (low temperature for a long time) or going out.

Running it within its optional temperature range dramatically reduced the amount of pm2.5 it produces over all as it combusts the fuel efficiently.

Over all, the whole point of the Clean Air Act and all these little studies is that we will have to move away from burning at home completely. Probably in our lifetime too.

News on all the sweeping forums is that studies have found that the new clean air act hasn’t had the affect on air quality that the government wanted to see. This is primarily due to people still burning “wet” wood collected themselves or wood above the recommended %.

Combine that with the amount of dodgy installations, the amount of broken, not serviced and old stoves and finally, those who don’t sweep their chimneys regularly, this is why it amount of pm2.5 hasn’t dropped as predicted.

The next move, within the next 2-3 years will be to get sweeps to report all none compliant stoves they see to councils who will serve cease and desist notices on the owners forcing them to either buy a new efficient stove or probably because of the price, stop burning at all.

Taz2

Re: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 08:37:45 AM »

This is a bit confusing for those who haven't seen our posts on the How Are You Today thread  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 09:21:04 AM »

Hello ladies.

Keeping to one thread on a subject is a big deal to some people but now another one has appeared! I can't figure out if I am confused or not lol.

Take care ladies.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 12:27:53 PM »

Because Taz it's a different topic - nowt to do with 'how R U today'.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 12:49:24 PM »

They won't be reporting on my mine, we have a chimney liner that doesn't get swept. It seems that instead of pursuing zero carbon policies they're picking off those who who don't squeal loudly enough. They're building a new estate near me with presumably all the insulation they need but they have gas heating and no solar panels. Why? It's much cheaper to do it now than to retrofit. Yet they thought they'd ban oil CH for rural off grid properties (and now trying stoves too) most of which are old, poorly insulated and owned by people without a spare £30k to insulate and retrofit their homes. Why aren't we starting with the ones that are cheap and easy to do? Other countries have much better off grid solutions than we do but here we seem to do everything to benefit the big corporations at the expense of the man in the street who has no choice but to pay for it.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 01:17:10 PM »

We still have ours swept even though it's lined. I'm not sure what is being reported.I know that we have to declare that the wood burner doesn't meet the new particulate emission rules if we sell the house.

I don't know what things other countries have in place re solar panels for heating and hot water although I have friends with them. Will have to look into that further  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 01:49:31 PM »

In the 1990s it was agreed in Europe that all new properties would have grey water collection tanks, solar panels, proper insulation and triple glazing.  Any1 know how many Estates were built thus?   :-\. 1 new build estate with all the above was OK until the pumps failed to bring the grey water into tanks for flushing loss etc..  Because no one had thought far enough ahead to find a Company who would service the pumps  :-\  >:(.  Opened by Prince Charles at the time with bells and whistles as to how 'green' it was going to be ..... it's easy to get the 'little man' in the street but rarely are the large companies kept to building the % of shared homes as passed on the Plans.   >:(

I didn't think that gas was going to be built in2 new properties?  None of the new builds around here have solar panels ........  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 02:59:12 PM »

An Autumnal reminder:

Brits are urged to make sure they use certified fire logs in their burners and to monitor the stove’s glass to ensure there are no small cracks or excess damage.

Burning at home with traditional house coal or wet wood is a major source of the pollutant PM2.5 – tiny particles which can enter the bloodstream and lodge in lungs and other organs. This pollutant has been identified by the World Health Organisation as the most serious air pollutant for human health.

While people with log burners and open fires can still use them, they are required by law to buy cleaner alternative fuels, such as dry wood and manufactured solid fuels, which produce less smoke. Burning dry wood also produces more heat and less soot than wet wood and can reduce emissions by up to 50%.

Under government restrictions:

sales of bagged traditional house coal and wet wood in units under 2m3 are now unlawful

wet wood in larger volumes must be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning
all manufactured solid fuels must now have a low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke

John Cutts, expert at MeandMyGlass.co.uk said: “Many log burner owners are unaware of the recent implications of clean air regulations. If they’re not followed correctly, thousands of Brits could face large fines and even a criminal conviction".

R sweep and local wood man know what they are doing when they give advice and deliver our logs  8)

Minusminnie

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 05:32:42 PM »

If logs are stored up off the floor in the dry on a pallet or similar the air can then get round them.
I miss our woodburner since moving handy for cooking on when we lost power and so cosy.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 06:00:41 PM »

Ours holds 3/4 small baking spuds in foil on top ;-)

One shouldn't store logs beside the burner as they can self ignite.

Autumnwalks

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 07:15:33 PM »

My daughter has recently inherited a wood burner which she'll rarely use and is unaware of rules and regulations etc. I'm curious about how these clean air regulations would be enforced? Do they send people to your door asking if you have a wood burner and demanding to inspect it? I genuinely don't know.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 08:05:59 PM »

The sweep has to inform the owner what is required to keep wood burners within legal constraints I think ........ but there will be a time when owners are asked I suppose.

What does DD plan to do with her wood burner, in situ it will help to keep draughts from going up the chimney.  Of course houses should be built with underflow flow to a fire but builders rarely do what might be of benefit  ::)

littleminnie

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2023, 07:44:54 AM »

I think the log burner will loose it’s popularity soon especially if more evidence emerges of what it omits.  It will be a a lot further down the road though.
On a slight meander, I think vaping will have a limited lifespan too, when people start getting ill from all the chemicals.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:47:04 AM by littleminnie »

Autumnwalks

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2023, 08:43:32 AM »

CLKD the only plans so far is to have it swept. Think it's full of bird mess and debris. She can't get a sweep to come out before January. :o

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 09:51:32 AM »

littleminnie - some young people have been hospitalised due to VAPE reactions, 1 as young as 11  :o. What were her parents thinking  >:(

Autumnwalks - yep, January is 'about right' because every 1 suddenly remembers that they require a sweep B4 they light up.  Which is why ours attends our burner and chimney in May/June.  He takes his family on Holiday in Jan/Feb.  ;)

Bird mess and debris shouldn't get into a wood burner  :-\.  It's still better to use than an open fire which emits 85% of the heat, straight up the chimney.  However, that man in the Red Outfit moans every year  ;D  :whist:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6