Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply  (Read 17204 times)

littleminnie

Re: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2023, 08:47:56 AM »

If underfloor heating is a fire risk it must be extremely low. I’ve never heard any reports of fires being started by it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2023, 10:14:29 AM »

I have heard of at least 5 in recent years which is why I wouldn't be keen to 'own' underfloor heating.  Nor thatch!

Let me know Minusminnie ?  How long will Capital outlay take to be recouped?  Trade prices are different to what the usual house holder has access to.

Taz2

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2023, 11:37:00 AM »

How about water under floor heating? No fire risk there.

Taz x

Gnatty

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2023, 12:41:31 PM »

Ours is water underfloor heating. Didn't realise there were other options. Certainly no fire risk here.

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2023, 01:42:56 PM »

That's B pipes then  ;D - our Siamese knew where all the pipes were, he would lay purring gently once the heating went on of an evening  8)

SarahT

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2023, 06:50:12 PM »

Yep, same here. One cat on the same spot every evening, the other on the hotspot under the kitchen table....😻😺

Minusminnie

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2023, 08:28:44 AM »

I have heard of at least 5 in recent years which is why I wouldn't be keen to 'own' underfloor heating.  Nor thatch!

Let me know Minusminnie ?  How long will Capital outlay take to be recouped?  Trade prices are different to what the usual house holder has access to.

He reckons the system he has put in insulation, air source heat pump, solar panels with batteries, underfloor heating is going to cost much the same as running the previous gas boiler.  So it will take a rise in gas and electric prices when they will start to benefit and recoup costs.  The grant for installing a heat pump is now £7500.  The cost he noticed most was running the heat pump without having the solar panels.
New builds will soon not be able to install gas boilers.
During his 20 years work he has not heard of underfloor heating catching fire and would like to see the case study for that.  The system is designed trip out with any fault.

We find trade prices don't always apply to family !

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:36:19 AM by Minusminnie »

CLKD

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2023, 09:58:03 AM »

:thankyou:  that's really interesting Minusminnie - I'm sure that if 1 does a search one will find evidence of under floor heating causing fires.

Of course the government of the day wants the UK to run on all electric ........ what happens when there's a power cut?  Whilst many heating systems need electricity to keep the circulation pumps running ........... so out go wood burners, out go gas appliances ......... up will go the price of electricity each time the UK has to buy from Europe [which we do already but it isn't a head line].

Is this idea going to be another white elephant as was the Millennium Dome, HS2, wind power farms out at sea when the blades have to be turned off in 'bad' weather = buying from Europe.  What happened to choice?  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2023, 11:00:27 AM »

I can only find it mentioned that if the system is not put in by a registered heating engineer then this could be unsafe? But that's the same as having a gas central heating installed without a registered person. I can't find anything about well maintained and properly installed systems being a problem. Can you share a link to what you have read as it is important that we know about such stuff.

Taz x

Autumnwalks

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2023, 11:14:27 AM »

The same Taz. If you employ a cowboy to do any job, you'll have problems. I couldn't find any actual reported fires. Just says they're unlikely.

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2023, 11:15:41 AM »

It certainly is but these fires go back several years, reported in various newspapers by Fire Services at the time.

Taz2

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2023, 11:35:11 AM »

I guess if it's years ago then the safety might be different? I'm waiting in for a delivery so have had time to search for details out of curiousness 🤣. Can't find any reports for the last few years on the fire service/govuk site. They appear to be safe nowadays.  :)

Autumnwalks

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2023, 12:04:37 PM »

Oh sorry, I thought you said recent years. I'm bunking off from packing up for a house move in two days  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 12:31:35 PM by Autumnwalks »

Penguin

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2023, 04:39:13 PM »

Our chimney sweep came today, we have an open fire. All good, form completed for insurance, no issues. Repeat in a year unless we get one of those cages for the top to keep the seagulls off, in which case we can go two years. Decided to keep to one fire per week max, so looking forward to cosying up with DH, kids and dog on Sunday pm.

Minusminnie

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2023, 05:34:53 PM »

:thankyou:  that's really interesting Minusminnie - I'm sure that if 1 does a search one will find evidence of under floor heating causing fires.

Think i will take son-in-laws word for it that it is safe.  He is registered and has to regularly go on courses/training days in order to keep his certificates and stay up to date.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6