Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wee problem  (Read 5856 times)

Jo1968

Wee problem
« on: February 14, 2023, 09:06:33 PM »

Hi.... First post after a weekend of hell ..

On Wednesday last week I thought I had the beginning of cystitis yet again .

I had a urine example and all clear, then I had a swab taken .

I have wet myself once over the weekend and constantly want to go toilet.

I cried through the night on Saturday and constantly getting out of bed thinking I won't be able to work, walk the dog or do anything....

Sunday and Monday seemed to be a bit better after doing pelvic floor exercises on and off all weekend and not drinking coffee or coke.

Rang women's health as instructed by the doctor and they have an 8 month waiting list...

Today has been manageable but I know something is not right.

Swab came back clear today and I have a doctor's appointment 14 march..
If I need one sooner I have to ring 8am in the morning...

Will it get better on its own with exercises and no stimulates IE coffee coke...

I thought I might  write a diary this week what I drink when I go toilet etc ..

Any thoughts or anyone going through the same thing?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wee problem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 09:40:58 PM »

Ring your Surgery tomorrow and ask for appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment.  Your GP is SO BEHIND - if a woman presents with repeated urinary tract 'infections' but there is no growth in a Lab., why isn't he/she thinking about atrophy  :bang:

Y do not need an exam or blood tests.  VA presents as repeated urine infection-type symptoms.  The idea is to ask for 'vagifem', a pessary which is inserted into the vagina nightly for 2-3 weeks.  Then the dose can be inserted every 3rd and 5/6th nights; some require nightly applications, other cope with treating on alternative nights. Treatment is long term.

Many find that using 'ovestin' [which I use internally] smeared on the outer labia really helps relieve any dryness, itching etc..  When I get the need2P I swallow two Nurofen 3 times a day to ease the nip as the urine flow shuts off.

It's Trial and Error until you find a regime that works.  Some need HRT as well.   Let us know how you get on.  If U meet with resistance, speak to your Practice Manager and ask for a referal to a dedicated NHS Menopause Clinic - not a. gynae as they don't know much more than many GPs seem to!

Do U have KY Jelly?  Insert a little and around the labia tonight and take pain relief if necessary.  MayB send an e-mail to your Practice now - R U able to visit in person in the morning?

Cara999

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 10:50:46 PM »

Totally agree with CKLD you need to get vaginal estrogen, the sooner you start the better. It can mimic UTIs/thrush and also frequent UTIs is a symptom.. Dont't be fobbed off like I was for months as the symptoms will get progressively worse xxx

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 11:04:53 PM »

If you cant get an appointment just go to the chemist and ask for Gina. They're the same as Vagifem just a different brand name. They will get you started until your doctor can prescribe them so you dont have to wait.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 07:55:12 AM »

Hi Jo1968, welcome to the forum!
The NHS testing for UTIs is not great, relying on dipsticks and pathetic culturing, so if you have symptoms then you probably do have a UTI and a 7 day course of ABs would be appropriate.
Yes to local oestrogen as the others have said, but no amount of local E will clear an infection if you have one. It will help prevent further infections though.
In the meantime, PLEASE stop doing pelvic floor exercises. This will make your PF over- tense and you will feel worse. Kegels should only be done after assessment by a women's pelvic health physiotherapist.
So sorry to hear you are having this problem and hope you can get proper treatment soon.
JP x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 09:41:11 AM »

Let us know how you get on.

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 10:31:23 AM »

Yes, get started on local oestrogen as soon as possible.  It probably take a while to settle down but persevere.  It's a horrible feeling.

Jo1968

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 02:18:42 PM »

Thank you for your replies..

I have returned to the doctor and been prescribed VAGIRUX...for long term use and had my HRT upped ..

Today will be the first day ( 21st Feb)

Thanks again ....

Will update

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 03:00:37 PM »

This treatment is for life.  Ignore the twice a week idea if you require application more often.  Every night mayB necessary.

Jo1968

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 03:48:42 PM »

The doc said every night for two weeks then chop down to three times a week ...

So hoping this sorts me out, I feel very low at the moment...

Jaquiw

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 04:01:47 PM »

I feel for you Jo, I had a similar experience. Weeing every 40 mins, no infections found, bladder scan clear, bladder emptying ok. Vaginal oestrogen has made a big difference although if I reduce the dosage, symptoms return. Menopause clinic and consultant advised me to go off licence - use more if I need. Very grateful for this forum. You are not alone

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »

3 times a week is what is suggested in the leaflet but it's not always enough to keep symptoms at bay.  Let us know how you get on Jo?

Jo1968

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 09:51:23 PM »

So first pessary is up... Not looking forward to that every night and tablet and hormone patch sorted....

Wil keep updated....

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 10:17:22 PM »

So first pessary is up... Not looking forward to that every night and tablet and hormone patch sorted....

Wil keep updated....
Good luck! I first learnt about VA from CKLD several years ago. Vagifem worked really well for me but I later had to add Evorel Conti patches.

Jo1968

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 07:30:31 AM »

I only went toilet twice in the night but why when I took the dog out am I crying ...

I'm tired and fed up ....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4