Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is Fog a strong enough word to explain how it feels?  (Read 908 times)

Nixxy

• First Flush
Is Fog a strong enough word to explain how it feels?
« on: May 05, 2022, 09:29:58 AM »

Is Fog a strong enough word to explain how it feels?

Most people refer to "Brain Fog" as a way of expressing or labelling the forgetful moments etc... but... I sometimes don't feel that it does express how I feel when I just can't remember something. Like for example a whole conversation or what I was supposed to be doing... I feel like I'm losing my mind and its actually early onset dementia or something as I just have complete blanks in memory sometimes. It's not everyday, but, it's a lot more than I'd like!! It's annoying friends and family as well, they keep having to repeat themselves or tell me not to keep repeating myself. Sometimes I'm just the butt of everyones jokes... ooo she's just old! Its very upsetting to be honest. Am I the only one that feels "Fog" just doesn't cover it?

Flossieteacake

Re: Is Fog a strong enough word to explain how it feels?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 09:32:27 AM »

I can relate to this. I forget what I am talking about or saying in the middle of a sentence. It may be helpful to remind people that this is a common menopause symptom and not something you can control. It is sad for people to be frustrated with us as we cannot help it.

LSmarty

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 09:43:40 AM »

Totally agree with you, there should be a stronger word but what 😂😂 you should start a thread for suggestions!

I get halfway through a convo and have to ask the person/people around what I was talking about to remind me the rest of the conversation 😂🙄
I'm forever apologising for my memory loss.

Les xox

VictoryV

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 10:53:41 AM »

Ironically I’ve forgotten how frightening brain fog is. It almost shattered my confidence/made me question my own abilities. It isolates you whilst destroying you from the inside out.
HRT resolved this for me and quickly. I believe testosterone had a big input.

Fizwhizz

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 04:49:25 PM »

I agree the whole ‘brain fog’ thing isn’t terribly descriptive. I’m finding I can’t connect and am somehow detached as well as doing absent minded things like forgetting toast under the grill and trying to put stuff in the wrong cupboard etc. It does feel like I’m losing my mind.

Nixxy

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 10:00:12 AM »

I can relate to this. I forget what I am talking about or saying in the middle of a sentence. It may be helpful to remind people that this is a common menopause symptom and not something you can control. It is sad for people to be frustrated with us as we cannot help it.

Yup in the middle on sentences I do the same..

Totally agree with you, there should be a stronger word but what 😂😂 you should start a thread for suggestions!

I get halfway through a convo and have to ask the person/people around what I was talking about to remind me the rest of the conversation 😂🙄
I'm forever apologising for my memory loss.

Les xox

I was thinking more of a Brain Block than a fog.. haha!

Ironically I’ve forgotten how frightening brain fog is. It almost shattered my confidence/made me question my own abilities. It isolates you whilst destroying you from the inside out.
HRT resolved this for me and quickly. I believe testosterone had a big input.

It is certainly making me question myself, I think my friends think I'm doing in on purpose sometimes and that I do remember everything!

I agree the whole ‘brain fog’ thing isn’t terribly descriptive. I’m finding I can’t connect and am somehow detached as well as doing absent minded things like forgetting toast under the grill and trying to put stuff in the wrong cupboard etc. It does feel like I’m losing my mind.

Lol talking of that, I just got back form the shops and put my purse in the fridge with the milk. The other day I tried to put butter in the coffee! Sigh!

Louise2010

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 03:06:11 PM »

Agree with Victoria that testosterone seems to help my brain. I still go to a cupboard and forget what it was I needed and say “thingamebob” sometimes when a word escapes me but it’s better since starting testosterone.
It needs to be on licence and available to women if they need /want to try it.

Emm225

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 05:35:33 PM »

No...I actually thought I was getting altzeimers or dementia....i really thought that by 60 I'd be gone mentally.  So reassured to hear others are the same as me...HRT has helped a bit ..I'm not on testosterone as NHS don't supply it...but I am still not as good as I was....