Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Spotting on HRT ...altho I didn't at first..advise on womb lining thickness etc?  (Read 959 times)

Emm225

Hi all, I am a little concerned and looking for advice/reassurance.  I had my HRT estrodot increased last September to 37.5 because I felt I needed to..sweats and most of all anxiety.  I also take Utrogen ..100.  I have been on HRT since March 2020.
For the last few months, since at least December ..not sure if before then...I have been spotting occasionally.  Often at the same time of the month.  Not enough to wear a pad but literally, just spotting.  Have had scans and just had a hysteroscopy and awaiting results.  Apparently my womb lining is 4.5....the consultant said they prefer it to be under 4.  He also said I would hear the results in 4-6 weeks and mentioned stopping HRT.  When he saw my look of horror, he said,  Well you do know oestrogen feeds cancer cells, BUT I haven't seen anything I consider to be sinister so it's up to you."

Has anyone else had this happen? I am loathe to stop HRT ..which is funny cos I was scared to start it because of all the popular rumours and info re cancer risks...although will try to cut it down but mentally I was a mess before I went on it, so extremely anxious, brain fog, crying a lot etc and hot sweats.  BUT obviously don't want to take if it 's a risk to me.  Is the balance of oestrogen to progesterone correct does anyone know...I have researched but couldn't find anything on this or the ideal thickness of womb lining!

Thank you so much in advance if anyone has any information or advise.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

May it be that your hormones are over-riding the HRT if it's at a similar time of month?

Dotty

Hi are you post menopause ? We’re you 12 months without a period before starting hrt ? x

Emm225

Re the post meno...I don't know as I had the mirena for 15-20 years..(.not the same one!) and never had periods on it.  It was taken out Nov 2019 as was getting spotting so the consultant decided to take it out as near the end of its life and he said I shouldn't need it any more.  My problems re meno started then with a vengance, sweats and increased, intense anxiety and sadness.
When I went to the doctor about a month ago she did say I was through the meno and was post meno...I guess they can get that from bloods etc? I am 56

Emm225

...forgot to add...didn't get any spotting whatsoever until perhaps Dec last year...although could have been before....

KatyB

It might be worth trying a sequential regime not continuous. I find I don't bleed on sequential, but do bleed fairly constantly, though at a low level, on continuous. Despite being in late 50's and having  been on HRT for about 5 years now....I've tried continuous several times but ended up going back to sequential....(2 weeks on 2 weeks off with 200mcg of Utrogestan, 75mcg patches x 4 weeks).

sheila99

As your symptoms started in 2019 it's more likely than not that you're still peri. I would try a sequi regime. You don't say how old you are but some women aren't meno til their early 60s. Or use a mirena instead of utro.

Hurdity

If you're 56 then it is more likely that you have reached menopause but not necessarily as a few women have very late menopause in late 50's - but because you started HRT before you were 12 months without a period after having Mirena coil removed - then you can't tell so if the bleeding is the same time each mionths maybe you are still having some sort of cycle? The main thing, as you have done - is to get this checked out. As for the womb lining being 4.5 mm - I would love it if mine were this thin! However I did find this which does suggest 4 mm can be the threshold for investigation - and it's good that this is conservative because it means that problems can be sorted out at an early stage.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiog8el9sD3AhUyoVwKHaRuBOcQFnoECAMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nnuh.nhs.uk%2Fpublication%2Fdownload%2Fpostmenopausal-bleeding-assessment-g39-v3-1&usg=AOvVaw0OW9No4xrPXNxyxwb8pOe3

Hurdity x

Emm225

Thank you for all your advise and reassurance...I phoned the doctor and asked if I could reduce my HRT a little...I used to be on a lower dose last year but I had to increase it last September...I think both hormonally and personal life happenings were having a big detrimental effect on me mentally and physically.  The doctor wouldn't do it but is phoning me today...I have a feeling because I have had spotting she may be about to advise me to come off HRT which I REALLY don't want to do if it means my awful mental and physical symptoms re surface....my life was a misery until HRT helped me.  So..at least I have knowledge now and can discuss it with her.....the hysteroscopy was a little shocking as the consultant advised me I also had slight rectal and vaginal prolapses  :-\  Pelvic floor exercises totally being adhered to now....
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 08:18:30 AM by Emm225 »

AnneS

Hi Emma … I’m on Everol Conti patches (Since November ) and have had regular light bleeding every month . I had a scan which showed thickened womb lining of 5.5cm and was referred for biopsy. I had hospital appointment today where a lovely consultant tried to take the biopsy but I was in so much discomfort he had to stop! I’ve now got to go for an hysteroscopy under FA . The consultant did say that 4mm is the cut off for investigation. A Mirena coil has also been mentioned but he didn’t ask if I was still taking my HRT … which I fully intend to ! Like you … just the thought of having to come off it panics me !!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 01:54:40 PM by AnneS »

Emm225

Well, after a discussion with a very nice lady doctor she wrote a prescription ...to see how I go on a lower dose.  However, after phoning round lots of local pharmacists I had to go back as none of them had any estrodot patches so she has put me on Evorel 25 .  A bit worried cos it's different but hopefully not too much so....not sure whether the shortage is covid or more women being aware of HRT and asking/needing to go on it.  I am a little concerned as I don't like changing medications...and read somewhere tha evorel can speed up hair loss...which I don't want as my hair has gone thinner anyway in the past 4 years
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:08:45 PM by Emm225 »