Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 197247 times)

Jeepers

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1485 on: April 14, 2020, 08:21:19 PM »

Oxford university are doing some clinical trials at the hospital in Swindon. They are testing 4 drugs on volunteers who have tested positive.  One of them is hydroxychloroquine. I think the others are interferon,  an hiv drug, and a type of steroid.

Jeepers  xx

Tc

« Reply #1486 on: April 14, 2020, 11:14:25 PM »

Hurdity.  I have read up on this drug very recently and since my  fam member was given it. And as far as I can see  It is licensed for certain conditions with success , but hasnt got to "off license" stage for covid . There hasnt been time to go through that process  so a  "special circumstance " has been given to use it skipping the steps that would usually be taken.

As a family we didnt even know the drug was being used in UK for covid. , and maybe as a country we were not aware as there has been no mention of it In our press conferences that I can remember.

We didnt  realise it was being used in our hospitals in UK until we were told it was being given to our family member by a doc on phone today.  We were told it is all that's on offer to TRY to lessen the effects of covid..  But...  they gave it to her before they told us they had (she is not able to communicate vocally  since she entered stage 2 of covid). But before they gave it to her they managed to get her to sign a DNR..

I dont believe I'm wrong in saying this drug can affect the heart from what I've researched.
  So ....

It concerns me that ppl such as my 78 year old fam member maybe being used as Guinea pigs.

Xxx
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:22:18 PM by Tc »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1487 on: April 15, 2020, 08:25:45 AM »

Tc - if your family member is poorly is it a big problem that they are trying to ease symptoms with a drug which may work?  Many drugs have been found to help conditions that they weren't designed for, usually by a patient finding out themselves  ::), telling his GP and word spreading.

Tc

« Reply #1488 on: April 15, 2020, 08:49:18 AM »

Hiya. Yes of course at the moment she is very sick and so it's the only option .  Apparently it can lessen the effects of covid.

Stay safe xxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #1489 on: April 15, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »

I have spoken to several people in the care industry and they have had no information or support from the UK government which is backed up by daily news

Tc

« Reply #1490 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:09 PM »

They gave it to her before telling her family, Tc?
X

Yes birdy.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1491 on: April 15, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »

My Mum's care home has been brilliant.  They have full PPE, each staff member has their temperature taken when they start their shift.  Every resident has their temperature taken twice a day.  The residents are now all confined to their rooms but are having lovely meals as usual and the careworkers have been reading Mum's poems to her and just having a chat.

They have arranged for us to Skype or Facetime and they stay with Mum and encourage her to talk rather than just listen and watch.  She is getting the hang of it!  They are also giving the ladies shampoo and sets as the hairdresser can't come in.

Mum has been very much more confused and agitated since lockdown and her Alzheimers means that sometimes she understands why I can't visit and others she can't.  She has also had two falls in the last week. The Manager rang and we had a long chat about all this yesterday and said that they are doing all they possibly can to ensure she has no more falls but I understand this is very difficult.  They have contacted the Falls Team but this could take a while.  Mum spends so much of her time backwards and Forwards to her toilet that falls are inevitable.  She has an  necklace alarm but doesn't use it.  There are 2 pull alarms in her room and one in her loo but she never uses them either.  If she did, the careworkers would come and help her but she just takes herself mostly.

The GP has prescribed a low dose of something for when Mum has a really bad day.

We also discussed me becoming an ?essential visitor? if Mum deteriorates further.  That would mean I could go in after completing forms and having my temperature taken and wearing Mask etc.  That has put my mind at rest a bit although, fingers crossed, things stay as they are now for a while.

CLKD

« Reply #1492 on: April 15, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »

It annoys me that so many are having C-19 on the Death Certs when it hasn't been the cause of Death.  It's lazy.  It's upsetting.  And probably illegal?  Maybe we should all contact the Funeral Directors that we intend to use and ask the question?  It will also screw the statistics towards what the government probably wants them to read rather than the truth.

Your Care Home is on the ball PF! 

Hurdity

« Reply #1493 on: April 15, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »

What makes anyone think that Covid-19 is generally being put on the death certificate when it is not thought to be the case? Like I said on the other thread and as reported in the ONS data, more than one cause of death can be put down on certificates eg pneumonia and CV-19. I've said this before but there was guidance issued about writing death certificates under CV-19 but how you can describe any doctor as "lazy" or undergoing "illegal" activity at a time like this beggars belief when they are working harder and for longer hours than ever. Sure there are bound to be the odd error but I would bet that most doctors want to do their best by their patients and relatives.

If you want to read the very detailed updated guidance to doctors on death certification during this emergency period, it's here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877302/guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf

I would find it dififcult to believe that someone who died of cancer would be certified as dying of Covid-19. Many patients have underlying illnesses that might eventually kill them, but if they caught Covid-19 then this would be a major contributory cause of the death as it happened. I mean I'm only surmising but why would anyone want to make it up? Unfortunatle and saldy people with cancer will also succumb to the CV-19 disease. Like I said on the other thread it's more likely to be the other way round - at least earlier on in the lockdown, that people were dying of Covid but it not being recorded properly due to lack of testing.

WHat statistics does the government want people to read? In my view it is more likely they would want to play down the true numbers of deaths (not just the numbers from hospital admissions) as well as the confirmed cases, because the reality is even more frightening or I should say, shocking. Too late now.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #1494 on: April 15, 2020, 08:01:09 PM »

Stats can prove anything that the government/orgnisation wants them to prove.  The daily death numbers are 'from C-19' according to the afternoon reports.  Initially it was 'with underlying conditions' but that phrase has disappeared this week.

It is happening.  Lazy reporting. People going into hospital and dying of chronic illness but C-19 written on the Death Cert., is that because initially the government muted that many would be cremated at once.  It may be that the Doctor at the time of death is unaware of why the patient has been admitted, presumably notes are not being read due to lack of time and patients may not be admitted to the hospital where they have been receiving treatment.  Rushed between patients with C-19 end of life symptoms but unaware of previous health issues.  Still shouldn't happen.

Some of the deaths in care homes - now being accepted by the government as having been missed off daily numbers - are being put down as C-19 without any testing taking place.  I expect that as time goes by, those caring for residents will recognise symptoms but many are carers with little or no nursing experience.  Not what carers expect to have to face ........... District Nurses and GPs attend many for end of life care but that probably isn't happening in case of virus spread.

Sadly the Care Sector has been badly neglected.  Ageism.  Some of these people were valued members of their communities ........

Any one know if Boris lives?

CLKD

« Reply #1495 on: April 15, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »

Especially as few have nursing experience so very little knowledge of barrier care.  Thinking of the huge turnover of Staff were Mum stays: not only in the comings and goings of staff rota and 2 on at night to care for 25 residents  :o how can that be safe working practice?  Hopefully when this is all over the Care Industry will have a huge shakeup.  As well as those that try the care system to see if they want it as a job but leave after a few days/weeks/months  :-\

Currently they have 7 on working 24/7.  Sleeping over.  I would like to think that uniforms are being laundered in house  :-\

Tc

« Reply #1496 on: April 16, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »

Stella. I think you are referring to hydroxychloroquine . My fam member in hospital with covid being treated with it. 

Trump described it as a "game changer" and some studies have found it significant enough to be fast tracked and used "experimentally " for covid but ive seen this morning A small study in France has found "statistically no difference " in those who took it in hospital in outcome. Brazil and sweded have reported heart arythmia with it.

My fam member has had to be taken off her diabetes medication because it cant be taken with the covid drugs.  We have been told by the hospital that those with type 2 diabetes are presenting a "challenge" once infected.

Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #1497 on: April 16, 2020, 08:40:28 AM »

It is all so new  :-\ .........

Salad

« Reply #1498 on: April 16, 2020, 11:46:50 AM »

It is all so new  :-\ .........

Yes - it seems a bit trial and error, but I guess they feel it's worth trying.
Hydroxychloroquine has been used for other conditions for some time - this is one medication I may have to take as a treatment for Psoriatic Arthritis.
In fact people that having been successfully using it for their illnesses are now finding they can't get it  ::)

Two hoots

« Reply #1499 on: April 16, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »

I wouldn't take everything that said as fact at the moment, nobody knows and the press are looking for worst case at every opportunity in my opinion. It's best not to watch the news reports if you are having an iffy day  :)
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 179