Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Nearly 3 years  (Read 1869 times)

4meSons

Nearly 3 years
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:18:19 PM »

Next month is my 3 year anniversary of the morning dreads and I'm keen to find out if anyone else has had their life dictated to by these ? Within this time I have had 2 mornings symptoms free and have been unable to work for 2 years so the the term " the change" is more than apt for me. I know lots of women struggle on a morning but they manage to soldier on and go to work and generally continue without their life grinding to a halt so why am I different ? Am I just weaker or  is my mental health treatment resistant and unfixable. Wouldn't you think by now I would be used to it  :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Nearly 3 years
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »

Do tell us more.  Did this all start when you became peri menopausal? Do you have other menopausal symptoms?
What treatment are you receiving? Are you on HRT or perhaps a combo of HRT and a SSRI?
If you are unable to work, then more effective treatment should been tried.
I think there are many highly intelligent and capable women that develop awful anxiety when meno hits - the NHS are still very poor at recognising the connection of anxiety and low mood as hormonal and very much meno related.
A review of your treatment would be a very good idea.
DG x

4meSons

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »

Hi DG
Yes the morning dreads just started but I didn't know about peri at the time so was tried on quite a few ADs some of which gave nasty side effects and increased my anxiety but I struggled on hoping and praying it would get better. It didn't and ended up in hospital. I now take venlafaxine and mirtazapine and pregablin and it's still there every morning regardless. I suppose I should be grateful I can eat and sleep again but having worked all my life I can't cope with the fact I can't work and I'm plagued with this nearly every day . Other symptoms are sweats and I had really bad palpitations but propanolol seems to have helped those. I tried gel with utro then patch  with utro and now I'm back to gel 2 pumps and utro 10 days ago and waiting referral for meno clinic
Also been in bed for a week with the Australian flu which isn't helping x

jenjog

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »

I can really relate to this. I've had these feelings in the morning for the last 2 years. Morning dreads describes it perfectly. As the day goes on  I'm usually ok, although I do feel like it some evenings. It's an awful feeling isn't it, I'm hoping now I'm on hrt it helps a bit.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:07:24 PM »

The flu going round at the moment is awful - do take care.  If you are still getting such awful anxiety and unable to work, then a review of your drugs would be sensible - you've got quite a cocktail of things going on there and I would question whether these are really working that well - possibly making things worse???  Get yourself better first before tackling this.  DG x

4meSons

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »

Jenjog it truly is awful it's like a chemical reaction that takes place in my body every morning.
I've just recently spoke to my gp DG about my meds and she agrees what's the purpose of taking so many when I'm not having any benefit so I will be reducing and stopping slowly one at a time when this horrible flu goes. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »

It could be cortisol surges.   4 me it made me wake anytime after 3.30 a.m. full of fear.  Prehensile fear.  I would have to get out of bed immediately, get dressed; then I sat for hours, staring at the lounge walls.  If I remained in bed my brain would race and the fear would deepen.  I was depressed at the time and eventually, medication eased those feelings.

At the time I DREADED that my Mum would die ....... she was almost 70 at the time and my brain kept saying 'people die at 70'.  We have never been close so I don't know what that was about  ::). She didn't die.  She's now 91!

How is your diet from 4.00 p.m. onwards?  I found that if I ate regularly the wakening was a little less.  Cortisol is the wake up hormone but bugga ........ I really didn't want to wake like that!!

Jo24

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:14 PM »

I feel exactly the same ....dreadfully nervous, jittery, and anxious as soon as I wake. It generally improves as the day goes on, but not always. Some evenings I do feel almost normal, and I hope every night when I go to bed that I will wake up feeling calm.
This has been a feature of my life for about 2 years, and it is having a devastating effect on my life.
I am currently off sick from work as I just cannot cope with the least bit of stress. I feel anxious about driving to work, some 25 miles.
My husband is fed up me ... he cannot grasp the concept of 'anxiety'
I am avoiding seeing family and friends etc...
HRT has completely resolved the hot flushes and sweats, but my mood has not improved significantly.
I absolutely do not want to start SSRI's as my GP suggests.
Has anyone had success with Beta Blockers ??
Your input would be much appreciated.