Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mirena and me!  (Read 10719 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Mirena and me!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 01:24:50 PM »

Mis71Mum - great news about the blood pressure.  Start planning Christmas, expect to feel brilliant by then and start truly enjoying life.  DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

That is a very healthy BP :)

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 05:46:35 PM »

Great post Dancinggirl (the longer one) - and hope you feel better bit by bit each day Mis71Mum :)

Hurdity x

Scampi

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 01:31:18 PM »

A 'view from the other side' - I had my Mirena fitted in January (for very heavy, prolonged periods).  I bled for about 2 weeks after it was fitted and I was beginning to regret having it put in.  But the bleeding stopped .... since then, I've had 3 'bleeds' (needing no more than panty liners - I used to soak a super-plus tampon and night-time towel inside 90 minutes!), and nothing but the odd day of spotting since May!! I still have some wakeful nights, but not because I'm having to get up every two hours to change horrible soaked sanitary protection.

For me, it was the best decision I could have made, and I sincerely hope you get the same good result.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »

Scampi - that is great to hear - I think your experience is quite normal - sadly it's the ladies who have a bad experience that we tend to hear from.  The Mirena wouldn't be so popular amongst most gynaes if it wasn't good for the vast majority of women.  Dg x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

Hello

Mini update - Yey!  I've lasted a week with the Mirena, yippeee!  Something I thought I would never be able to do.

The positives so far is that I can't be progesterone intolerant and already I've have had relief from heavy bleeding which is very, very welcome.  Occasional spotting so far but that's all.  My ferritin has increased from 9 to 37 after 3 months of iron so hoping that the lack of bleeding will also stop this getting low again.

No changes mood wise either, but I am noticing more of a even mood rather than highs and lows. 

Thanks Scampi - i'm hoping I get the same experience as you.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »

I have had mine since April and apart from constant spotting for the first 4.5 months I am happy with it.

linz57

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »

It's so encouraging reading your posts ladies as I'm currently debating having a Mirena fitted. It's good to hear positive outcomes .

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

Hi Linz57
What is your main reason for having the Mirena fitted?  Is it bleeding issues or because of progesterone issues?

linz57

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »

Hi Mis71Mum, it's because my conti patch is causing me a little spotting every two months or so. It's nothing major so I'm currently trying to decide whether to stay with the patch or go for separate estrogen patch and the Mirena. The Mirena contains the same prog as my patch but I haven' t checked whether it delivers a higher daily dose yet.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »

Linz57 - The Mirena would deliver a far, far lower dose and very gradually - little is absorbed systemically - it is designed to deliver progesterone to where it is needed - the uterus (womb).  DG x

linz57

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »

Ah I see, it delivers less,  so that's another point in favour of the Mirena then. Thank you for explaining Dancinggirl  :)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »

Hello
Just a quick update after just over 2 weeks with the Mirena.
The spotting stopped for a few days, only for what I think my own period to take over. The loss is still light but the colour of blood has changed to red and the tummy ache, spots and weeing loads has happened this week.
The gyny did say it was a big ask to get the Mirena to fully stop my bleeding because of my conditions. And I do realise that it's early days anyway.
As I had taken to using children's nappies to stop me from embarrassing myself at work and at home, I'm more than happy with what the Mirena is doing for me at this early stage.
My mood seems okay and more even too.
After 5 years of heavy bleeding - just can't understand why all my GP's has never suggested anything other than iron tablets for me. It's taken me to use my PMI to get the Mirena!

Hurdity

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »

Thanks for the update Mis71Mum. Yes it often does take a while for Mirena to stop periods - from what I have read, up to 6 months, and as you say it doesn't always happen anyway if bleeding was very heavy. Glad you are happy with it so far. Great to hear good news stories - so far I have been tempted to try the Mirena and Tibolone - from what has been reported on this forum (!), but would be loath to change my tried and tested HRT at my age  ::). Hope things continue to improve for you :)

Hurdity x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »

I promised to update and here it is!

The good news is my mood has been quite stable for the last 2 weeks. Nothing amazing but stable.

The bad news is the pain and the bleeding has changed for the worse! I've started to experience very central searing pains and these have been very intense, almost taking my breath away. Also I have been passing golf ball sized clots. This has scared me because what is it,where is it coming from and what is it doing to me?

After starting to feel very shaky, lightheaded and drained, I called the gyny to ask if this was normal. My gyny asked me to see the next day.

I went along and explained that I wasn't crying at the earliest opportunity but was genuinely concerned about what I was loosing every day.

As I expected, he said that it was too early for the Mirena to have settled but it was also a big ask of the Mirena to solve my problems. Anyway I now have a prescription for provera to stop the bleeding for the next 6 weeks. I also have a scan to check that the Mirena is still in place.
However I will probably have to prepare myself for the possibility of a Hysterectomy in the new year.

As I've bled early on every regime femoston, evorel and now Mirena, I'm loosing hope that the provera will make any difference but it's worth a shot.

I suppose I have to face the fact that my uterus is very damaged and hysterectomy is my only option
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4