Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mirena and me!  (Read 10717 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Mirena and me!
« on: November 10, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »

Seen quite a few posts recently about the use of the Mirena.

Thought I'd post after I've had it fitted today. So if this helps anyone at all, all good!

Had it fitted today with the aid of gas and air as I am such a lightweight!

There wasn't any pain at all, maybe slight discomfort that's all.

Anyway, since the procedure I've yawned a lot and had a nap. Also had a little weep maybe due to relief and worry if I've done the right thing.
Also felt PMT-ish, you know that tired, sweaty, grubby feeling that you get but it did pass.

If anyone finds this useful at all, may update weekly or on something significant happening.

Today even before procedure was feeling quite upbeat but relaxed, so hopefully that will continue.

Reasons for Mirena; heavy and irregular bleeding which has affected iron stores. Multiple fibroids and adenomyosis. Peri and 45!

Dancinggirl

Re: Mirena and me!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 10:33:18 PM »

Mis71Mum
I wouldn't over think things - don't expect problems.  So pleased the fitting went well - that's great.  Tomorrow, just get on with life and forget you even have the Mirena.  You will get some bleeding for some weeks but just enjoy the benefits of the oestrogen.  Good luck DG x

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 04:50:52 AM »

Mum71, it will be great if you post here your experiences with the Mirena fitted. To me it will be great to read how you go on. I am the same age as you.
Goid luck and yes, try to not overthink things, as DG says, - easier said than done, I know!

Best wishes
Milamam

elsie001

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 11:28:38 AM »

Glad it went well.  Don't be surprised if you continue bleeding for more than a few months.  My main reason for getting mine fitted was for heavy periods.  Took almost a year for my bleeding to stop entirely but it had been very light so no need for anything more than panty liners.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 12:52:09 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Still all okay and no pain or twinges which is good.  The only thing I could actually say is that I feel a bit weepy and sick.  I sort of expected the sickness but not the weepiness really because I haven't felt like that on other combination patches or pills.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should increase my oestrogen to 37.5mg instead of 25 mg.  Originally I was on 50mg, then stopped for surgery and re-started at 37.5mg which was the best I felt in ages. 

What dose is everyone else on?  Don't want the mirena to knock out the good feeling that the oestrogen gives me but at the same time, I don't want to make a knee-jerk reaction.  Promise i'm not overthinking by the way, but just wanted your thoughts  ;)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:09:57 AM »

Update so far;

Night 2 - had an absolutely brilliant sleep last night which was very welcome.

No pain at all and bleeding seems to have stopped too.

Just realised too that I won't have to have any dreaded progesterone withdrawal symptoms now either.

Early days but I'm very optimistic!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:37 AM »

Since I had my Mirena fitted last April I have slept well every night, something I wasn't doing before?
I was on Estradot 75 before I changed to Estrogel 3 pumps a day, but I am 18 months post meno.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »

Beginning to worry that this has been a mistake.
Didn't sleep very well - and being crying for most of the day.
Need to increase my patch to at least 50 mg from 25 mg.
I'm worried I'll be like this forever.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 05:01:58 PM »

The first few couple of weeks of the Mirena I did feel a bit PMT ish but now seven months down the line I only get an odd day feeling like that. Although I do sleep well every night so far.
I think I read somewhere that you get a big hit of progesterone in the first few days, give it time to settle.
Your patch dose is low, are you still peri?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

Okay - that may explain it. Yes still peri, been missing periods since 2010.
Just wish I felt like I had some control of my emotions! Not sure whether to fight the emotions, anxiety or depression or just accept this is how I feel.
I miss feeling upbeat and cheerful.

elsie001

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »

I definitely suffered from low mood for the first few months of having the mirena fitted.  I still have the odd bad night's sleep but not nearly as bad as it was pre-coil fitting.  I don't take any oestrogen at the moment. 

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 04:13:12 PM »

I just wish I had the chilled out feeling of the progesterone rather than the low mood.
I hate the low mood feeling especially at this time of year.
Been emotional again today but I keep telling myself it's my hormones.
Hopefully it'll get easier as each week goes by.

flufferama

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 08:30:09 PM »

I'm rooting for you Mis7Mum. Really hope the mirena helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »

Mis71Mum
It is great that you are sharing your experience but it is very early days and to analyses how you feel each day is perhaps focusing too much and possibly leading you to believe the Mirena is having more of an effect than it actually is.  I have discovered in recent years that to learn to relax and let things wash over is you terribly important. It is very normal to get low mood at the menopause and particularly at this time of year.   I do hope you are taking some Vitamin D - to supplement at this time of year can be very important as Vitamin D deficiency can give low mood and poor energy. ARe you on an SRRI or AD as well - sorry I can't remember?
I don't know if you work or what your life is like but if you are able to stay busy, get on with things and think a bit less about how you are feeling from day to day, I do strongly feel things would settle more quickly for you.
The weather may not be great but do you get out for a brisk walk each day?  Do you go to any exercise classes or fun activities?
When I am feeling in a low mood, I set myself little targets of things that need doing through a day, particularly things I might have put off doing.  These little jobs could be simply sorting through a pile of paperwork and filing it, clearing out a cupboard  and sending things to charity shops etc. and I then get a bit of that ‘feel good' factor having achieved something.  I personally love to do gardening as getting out in the air and doing something physical really gives a sense of satisfaction. Do set yourself achievable goals - it's often those mundane tasks we actually put off or hate doing that make us feel good.
Dealing with the meno involves a whole range of measures - not just HRT.  Relying on HRT to sort things is really unrealistic.
Having said all this, I really hope this HRT combination works for you as you have had a rough time. 
I bet in 3 months you will look back and wonder why you worried so much.  DG x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 01:00:43 PM »

Hi Ladies

Thanks for your kind words.

DG - you are right, I am focussing too much on the wrong thing, and sometimes it helps to have this pointed out.  Not sure why but in the mornings, I always feel worse.  It's one of my habits I suppose to be on my guard all the time, to make sure my mood isn't slipping and analysing everything.
I work 4 days and have 2 beautiful little girls, and a husband so should have plenty of other things to keep me busy!  And on an AD too.  Maybe I ought to focus on Christmas instead.  It's just sometimes, I have real problems on concentrating and focusing on my work!

Anyway - I have decided to research a complimentary therapy or two to help me relax and be more accepting of what's happening instead of fearing everything physical or mental. 

Yes taking a brilliant multi vit, vit d and iron too.

I've also had my oestrogen, progesterone and ferrtin blood tests done today so that I can see what direction to proceed in oestrogen wise going forward.

One strange thing though, and I could be ovethinking again here, but since my Mirena has been "fitted", my blood pressure has gone from 155/100 to 130/70, so that's amazing!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4