Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: UTI didn't respond to AB (Nitrofurantoin) plus pre holiday stress  (Read 17823 times)

Katejo

I have had UTI's quite a few times and they cause me stress because they always (without failure) start on a Friday when there is no chance of a GP appointment or just before i am due to go on holiday! This time it was both. It started last Friday though I didn't realise it was a UTI until Sunday. I saw the GP on Monday and she did a urine test and said that it was an infection and prescribed me Nitrofurantoin which was a new one to me. I don't get cystitis at all so no burning but I get stomach ache and aching lower down plus the feeling of internal discomfort and need lots of loo visits. It isn't actually painful to pee. I also feel unwell all over and have a temperature which comes and goes.
I didn't feel too bad on Monday and Tuesday so did go to work but have been off since. I expected improvement by day 3 of the AB but got none so suspected that it wasn't working. I went back to the health centre but they insisted that I continue with the same medication. They did take a 2nd urine test then.  Yesterday i started feeling a bit better but then last night it flared up again and i had a sleepless night. I got the result of the urine test today and the infection is still there but the GP couldn't see anything to say why I hadn't responded to the treatment  I have now been given a different AB (Cefalexin) and have just taken the 1st one.

I am going to rest all weekend and am drinking loads of water. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. I am fed up with feeling off. Since just before Easter I have had a persistent flu bug, a vomiting bug and now this.

I am due to fly to Berlin on Tuesday to help a friend celebrate a big birthday so I am stressed because I don't want to let her down.

Limpy

Re: UTI didn't respond to AB (Nitrofurantoin) plus pre holiday stress
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »

Hi Katejo

I used to get lots of UTIs.

At one point (after a urine test it has to be said) Nitrofurantoin was given. It didn't really work for me, took a couple of weeks to get any relief only to get the infection back after a couple of months. The only thing which worked for me was Co-Amoxiclav. Tried it first in 1997 then didn't have UTIs till meno hit in 2012/13, did the Nitrofurantoin dance again. Still didn't work, after much begging I managed to get some Co-Amoxiclav again. Thankfully, haven't needed it since.
Mind you, what works for one person doesn't for another.

Good luck with the Cefalexin and enjoy Berlin.

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

The AB will kick in by Sunday night so you should be fine. Enjoy your trip.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:40:20 PM »

A GP cannot tell if you have an infection! that can only be diagnosed if a sample is sent to a Lab..  This particular AB is the one commonly given but research is finding that it isn't wise as the body is getting used to it! It isn't wise to be given the 'wrong' AB either  >:( but GPs really don't get it  :bang:

Ask for treatment for Vaginal Atrophy when you get back as your symptoms are like mine were: the feeling of wanting to pee, the probability of an infection (which it wasn't), ABs which I was unable to tolerate due to nausea. Take plenty of pain relief whilst away.  Try and enjoy yourself!

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »

Hi Katejo

At one point (after a urine test it has to be said) Nitrofurantoin was given. It didn't really work for me, took a couple of weeks to get any relief only to get the infection back after a couple of months. The only thing which worked for me was Co-Amoxiclav. Tried it first in 1997 then didn't have UTIs till meno hit in 2012/13, did the Nitrofurantoin dance again. Still didn't work, after much begging I managed to get some Co-Amoxiclav again. Thankfully, haven't needed it since.

I have never come across Co-Amoxiclav unless it also has another name. The GP told me that Nitrofurantoin was now being given instead of Trimethoprim which apparently has become less effective. I have had that one before and it worked for me. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Hope i will make it to Berlin.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »

A GP cannot tell if you have an infection! that can only be diagnosed if a sample is sent to a Lab..  This particular AB is the one commonly given but research is finding that it isn't wise as the body is getting used to it! It isn't wise to be given the 'wrong' AB either  >:( but GPs really don't get it  :bang:

Ask for treatment for Vaginal Atrophy when you get back as your symptoms are like mine were: the feeling of wanting to pee, the probability of an infection (which it wasn't), ABs which I was unable to tolerate due to nausea. Take plenty of pain relief whilst away.  Try and enjoy yourself!

My sample was sent to a lab on the 2nd occasion. I had the test on wednesday and got the result today. I will look VA up as I have only vaguely heard of it before now.

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »

A GP cannot tell if you have an infection! that can only be diagnosed if a sample is sent to a Lab.

It's a difficult one CLKD. With the dipstick tests they can say if it "may" be an infection, but not identify it.
If UTIs keep coming back it's only then they think about VA.

When I was in the UTI cycle, the urine sample was tested and it did show an infection. Nitofurantoin was deemed to be the cure all - it did precisely NOTHING. Hopefully Katejo will get some relief from the Cefalexin, if the UTI returns then she'll be in a good position to go back and demand treatment for VA.

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »

Hi Katejo

I have never come across Co-Amoxiclav unless it also has another name. The GP told me that Nitrofurantoin was now being given instead of Trimethoprim which apparently has become less effective. I have had that one before and it worked for me. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Hope i will make it to Berlin.

The name on the tablets was AUGMENTIN.

Trimethoprim didn't do much for me. It was was about as  useless as Nitrofurantoin........  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »

:thankyou:

We have several threads on Vaginal Atrophy here  ::) ……. I think I called mine 'my bladder etc.' …… asking your GP for vaginal oestrogen to plump up the tissues may be the way to go, thin skin down there can cause irritation which mimics 'infections'  ;)

Are you packed to fly yet ?

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »

I have just done a quick google on VA but I don't think it is what I have. No I haven't packed yet. Have only assembled a few things in my room. I have to feel a bit better first.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »

It seems as if different parts of the country are using different antibiotics. Where I am Cefalexin is no longer routinely given for UTI's due to many infections becoming resistant to it. We are also prescribed nitrofuantoin and if that doesn't work then Co-Amoxiclav or Ciprofloxacillin.

It sounds as if you have an upper tract infection katejo if you are not having symptoms on urinating. These make you feel horrible so I hope the Cefalexin works quickly for you. If you begin to feel worse please don't hesitate to go back to the doc as soon as possible. Drink loads. Rest as much as possible too.

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 02:33:57 AM »

Yes I am resting all weekend and I am drinking lots too. If the Cefalexin fails I don't want another antibiotic. I am willing it to work.

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 08:54:26 AM »

I have just done a quick google on VA but I don't think it is what I have.

Hopefully the latest antibiotics will work for you.

I didn't realise I had VA till a GP examined me properly.
I think some of the ladies on here, thought they were having UTIs but were found to have VA. Dryness down there often manifests itself as urinary problems. As CLKD suggests, it might be worth looking at her "my bladder' thread.

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »

I remember that my vaginal dryness was diagnosed because of a lot of occasions when it felt as if I had an infection but there was only microscopic blood and white cells present but no infection each time a sample was sent for testing.

Katejo - what dose of Nitro were you on? I found that the lower dose didn't work.

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »

The Nitrofurantoin dose was 100 mg tablets twice a day for 5 days. Is that the lower dose which you refer to?  Now taking 250 mg Cefelaxin tablets 4 times a day for 5 days. Am feeling quite lousy (sort of aching/fuzzy sensation all over)  at the moment but hoping that it is mainly side effects. Little appetite but making myself eat small amounts so the tablets don't irritate more. Still discomfort down below but not going to the loo too often.
I will look at your 'my bladder' threads but still think that I have an infection.
Pages: [1] 2 3