Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: UTI didn't respond to AB (Nitrofurantoin) plus pre holiday stress  (Read 17824 times)

Taz2

Re: UTI didn't respond to AB (Nitrofurantoin) plus pre holiday stress
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »

The high dose is usually 500mg four times a day katejo but it's usual to be put onto 250mg first. Lack of appetite is a symptom of an upper UTI. I ended up on 500mg four times a day for twenty one days which finally shifted it. Have you got any fever?

Taz x

Annie0710

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »

I had continual UTIs which did respond to ABs but each time I had finished in would come another UTI ! (Usually starting on a Monday) this forum educated me about VA and since starting vagifem I've never had another UTI !

It's worth looking into

Annie xx

Katejo

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »

The high dose is usually 500mg four times a day katejo but it's usual to be put onto 250mg first. Lack of appetite is a symptom of an upper UTI. I ended up on 500mg four times a day for twenty one days which finally shifted it. Have you got any fever?

Taz x

You are now referring to Nitrofurantoin or Cephelaxin?  My Cephelaxin is 250mg 4 times a day. I haven't got fever at the moment due to painkillers but have had it on and off for the past week. My appetite was normal on thursday afternoon/evening but went downhill yesterday. Also I was feeling pretty decent on thursday afternoon and enjoying the summer sunshine (standing with a cup of tea in front of my house and people watching). I thought i was going to improve further by Friday but it got worse again/
 Today it is dull and a bit miserable outside and I am getting more pessimistic about the chances of this working. I have had these exact symptoms before. Usually one course of AB's has cleared it but not every time. I have never had a dose as high as you have or over as long a period

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »

I had continual UTIs which did respond to ABs but each time I had finished in would come another UTI ! (Usually starting on a Monday) this forum educated me about VA and since starting vagifem I've never had another UTI !

It's worth looking into

Annie xx

I will look it up. I assume that it is prescription only?  I don't get them continuously like that. It occurs about once every year to 18 months.

Annie0710

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »

Yes prescription only, GP said I could only do 2 x weekly (after 2 weeks of loading doses) but gynae said I could double up , which I do

Annie xx

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »

It was 500mg four times a day for nitrofuantoin and then the same dosage for ciprofloxacillin and finally the same dosage for co-amoxiclav which finally cleared it. I was really ill though from the infection before I knew what it was. I'd felt off for a couple of weeks with what felt like cystitis starting and then it went away but I felt tired and just a bit "off". I then developed a slight fever (controlled by paracetamol) and two days later I had an attack of rigors which is what made me go to the GP. I was put onto nitrofuantoin (250mg four times a day) as a precaution and a sample was sent off. The doc phoned me the next day as a reading which should have been under 300 had registered 1000. They upped the dose to the 500mg and I had to send off another sample a week later which showed the infection was still really entrenched so they swapped to the cipro etc etc.  It took, in all, from September to December to finally clear the infection totally. Not something I want to go through again which is why I probably drive my GP's surgery mad by phoning to speak to a doc every time I get similar "almost cystitis but not quite" symptoms.

An upper UTI is totally different to a lower one. Different symptoms and harder to shift.

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »

re. vagifem: Do you take it orally or as a cream? I have just looked at NHS info sheet about this. I don't think i could take it orally because it can interact with carbemazepine which i have been taking for a long time. I had epilepsy as a teenager. I have been seizure free for over 30 years after surgery  but still take the drug.

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »

It was 500mg four times a day for nitrofuantoin and then the same dosage for ciprofloxacillin and finally the same dosage for co-amoxiclav which finally cleared it. I was really ill though from the infection before I knew what it was. I'd felt off for a couple of weeks with what felt like cystitis starting and then it went away but I felt tired and just a bit "off". I then developed a slight fever (controlled by paracetamol) and two days later I had an attack of rigors which is what made me go to the GP. I was put onto nitrofuantoin (250mg four times a day) as a precaution and a sample was sent off. The doc phoned me the next day as a reading which should have been under 300 had registered 1000. They upped the dose to the 500mg and I had to send off another sample a week later which showed the infection was still really entrenched so they swapped to the cipro etc etc.  It took, in all, from September to December to finally clear the infection totally. Not something I want to go through again which is why I probably drive my GP's surgery mad by phoning to speak to a doc every time I get similar "almost cystitis but not quite" symptoms.

An upper UTI is totally different to a lower one. Different symptoms and harder to shift.

Taz x

Sounds awful. I am a bit paranoid about it as well simply because i tend to get it at such inconvenient times. I had a previous holiday spoilt by it several years ago. I did once have cystitis but all the other occasions have been similar to this time.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »

It comes in preloaded applicators katejo - you put it in your vagina and then dispose of the applicator. It's quick and simple and no mess.  http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womens-health/medicines/vagifem.html

Taz x

Katejo

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »

Thanks Taz

I will ask the GP about it when I get back from Berlin (if i get there !).  I need to make an appointment for something else.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »

An infection will show on testing so hopefully this AB will work.  Sometimes it takes 48 hours …….

:tulips:

Katejo

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »

An infection will show on testing so hopefully this AB will work.  Sometimes it takes 48 hours …….

:tulips:

The test definitely did show an infection. I am feeling  better than I did this morning. I still have Nurofen in me so can't be sure yet but my appetite is starting to come back which is a good sign. Am now eating toast and starting to pack my case   :)  I am very cautiously optimistic. 
I know that all antibiotic courses need to be completed even if you feel better half way through but I don't get why you can't switch to an alternative one if you have no improvement by day 3. I spoke to a GP and more than 1 pharmacist but they insisted that i must complete the original course.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »

:-\ ………. are you taking 2 kinds of AB then?  It's because ABs are given incorrectly that people are not gaining benefit  ::).  Keep taking the Nurofen ……..

How many on the celebration?

Katejo

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »

No not two together. I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin last Monday. By wednesday it had achieved nothing so I went back to the doctor who gave me the 2nd prescription (due to me having the holiday trip so soon)  and took a urine sample to send away  but said that I must still complete the first course. On Friday I felt worse and rang the NHS 111 line. I spoke to a GP there who said that I should go back to the surgery and ask for the test result to avoid taking the wrong AB. I did that and was told that it showed the same result as their first test on Monday.

I don't like taking many painkillers as it just shields the symptoms. I always want to know if improvement is genuine! I am also not supposed to take many anti inflammatory ones. I will probably take some more Paracetamol today

There are only 2 of us at the celebration. Eva is a Swedish friend whom i met in Italy on an Italian language holiday in 2011. Quite a big age gap between us. it is her 70th on Wednesday.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »

Pain relief medication is designed to ease symptoms  ::) - that's why chemists spend hours in the Lab. designing drugs for pain relief.  If the correct medication is taken it relieves symptoms, if those return once the dosage has worn off, one takes more ……….. if symptoms persist for more than 5 days then a chat with a GP is wise.  If you are hungry, do you not eat  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3