Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45

Author Topic: Haemoragghic disease warnings  (Read 125618 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2015, 07:31:49 PM »

We have a cockerpoo next door and my friend who lives 10 miles away has one; on Friday morning we saw 5 playing together from different families  :-* ……

CLKD

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2016, 03:35:34 PM »

Social media inspires search for dog missing after fatal car accident - in Cornwall!  FOUND  :bounce:

Sadly, a border terrier escaped from 'care' whilst his owners were on holiday  :'(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:29:50 PM by CLKD »

SadLynda

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »

saw that on FB, so glad the dog was found.  Too many sad stories around :'(

CLKD

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »

Haven't heard about the border terrier  :-\ ……… it upsets me more than anything when a pet is lost  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2016, 04:47:51 PM »

No owner should allow their dog to jump on visitors nor do the licking bit. 

You could arrange to meet friends elsewhere or be blunt, saying you will visit if they are shut up.  Ours was allowed to meet visitors then had to go on her bed.  I knew people who didn't like dogs anyway.  If they don't take the hint then carry a stair gate with you  ;D …….  licking isn't hygienic, knowing where dogs put their noses at times  :-X ….. be blunt, tell them that you wish to wash your hands before you have a cuppa and biscuit.  Unless they are particular dense, they will have no problems with your request.  Otherwise, don't waste your time on dense people?

When I took her visiting as a PAT-dog one resident said "I don't like dogs, don't let it near me!" so we knew to avoid going too close. 

Some people are allergic to pet dander which brings them out in a rash or asthma symptoms. 

babyjane

« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »

People who come to our house know it is our dog's home too. If they are receptive he is allowed to greet them but must then leave them alone. We don't really know people who dislike dogs but family members who are not keen he is kept away from. He certainly wouldn't lick anyone unless they wanted him to.
Anyone who comes to our home we respect their feelings but they must respect our home and that means accepting the dog lives here too  :)

limpy

« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »

Is it hygienic to eat after a dog has licked your hands to death.

No.
I assume we are talking about the victim of the hand licking.........................

babyjane

« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »

you are correct stellajane and it is not the dog's fault as they are not born house trained, they have to be taught and the responsibility is down to the owner.
I spent 6 weeks with mine at a training class when we got him and then carried on the training myself once I had learned what to do.  It was hard work and a lot of effort but I stuck with it and as a result we have always been able to take him anywhere and anyone can enter our house once we let them in.  There is no excuse for not training a dog to be sociable and well mannered and I am sorry you have come across some who have not been

CLKD

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »

How 'friends' are these people to you?  If I don't like something I ring ahead first.  Whilst this is our home if anyone really doesn't like dogs then she was kept in the kitchen. 

getting_old

« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »

I take the view of it's the dog's home too so if you don't like him, don't come. If you want to meet up we can go elsewhere, but I'm not locking him away to keep a visitor happy. I like my dog way more than I like any of the people I know! That said he doesn't jump up on visitors, although he will lie in front of them wagging madly and hoping they'll make a fuss of him.
Oh, and if someone was allergic I'd meet them elsewhere - no point them visiting and me keeping him out of the way as there could still be fur / dander in the air that could affect them.

Ohgoodnessme

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »

Our dog is very excitable and loves people. Luckily our friends are dog lovers and most have dogs of their own. If we have visitors, ours stays in her bed until they are in and settled. She will go up and say hello and then wander off to find a chew or something.  The only person to visit who, despite previously owning one, doesn't like dogs is my FIL. We make sure she stays away from him. Although she sees it as her mission in life to win him over!

I like my dog way more than I like any of the people I know!
My husband would say that this is so me ^ ;)

Kate50

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2016, 10:34:41 AM »

Lol this makes funny reading.  My daughter who has our rescue staff cos she pinched him and he is the loveliest dog ever says not only does he keep the friends she doesn't really like away but the ones with kids cos their parents are all scared of staffies!
My other dog is my exercise machine every morning he saves me from myself that morning walk had kept me going through menopause and I meet plenty of other ladies going through the same thing as me and it's a great social tool!

CLKD

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »

I told friends/neighbours when we first had pets that should our house become catty or later on, doggy, to please let me know! as I have allergies which affect my sense of smell  ::)

All the people we know were aware that we owned pets.  Because they were people I worked with or had pets themselves.  There was 1 occasion when a Chinese man visited to bring me some work: as he walked into the lounge I said 'bed' in a loud voice, which was actually aimed at the dog who dutifully did as she was told: however  ;D ……… 

babyjane

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »

I always clean through and change the sofa covers when visitors are due.  We don't get people just 'dropping in' as our family all know I can't cope with the unexpected.

getting_old

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2016, 03:12:04 PM »

But do you warn people you have a dog so they can make a choice ... or don't you ever invite people round?

My friends all know I have a dog, and most of them have dogs or other pets, and I do mention it to people I don't know that we have a dog. The biggest problem I have with visitors is that they encourage the dog to jump up on them which wrecks all of our training!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 45