Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45

Author Topic: Dog Breeds  (Read 127383 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »

When ours was young I would keep her on a lead when visitors arrived - so that she didn't jump up.  To stop that habit I carried dried dog food in my pocket so that on re-entering the house, the food was thrown on to the floor. 

The reason they jump up is because the bitch regurgitates food collected for the pups in the next, this is stimulated by the puppies rubbing round the bitch's mouth …… so a dog isn't saying "I love you" but "Feed me now"  ;)

After 3-4 weeks of throwing the food onto the hall floor ours got the idea that food was down there and not around my mouth.

Also, when going out 'dressed up' she knew to go to bed when told, no rubbing round nor jumping up.  The cats however  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »

Sadly a Police dog mauled a Yorkshire Terrier which received 2 spinal fractures and had to be PTS.  Apparently the Handler was unaware that a member of the public and a dog were in the area where the dog was being exercised.

Had this been a Staffie-type  >:( ……..but a Statement has been issued "Whilst this is a sad and unfortunate incident, no one is to blame"  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Under the Dangerous Dogs Act this would be a 'dog out of control in a public place' …….. does the Public have to accept that, because the Yorkie was injured by a Police Dog, that's the end of it! ?

Kate50

« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »

I should think there might be some suing going on for this. If that was my dog which of one is a staffy I'm sure it would be a different story and also if it was any other breed. I agree with a dog getting spooked and reacting cos this was actually at night. But this was a trained dog being exercised in a public area in the dark?  That can't be right? ?

CLKD

« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2016, 08:59:44 PM »

Wonder whether the Press will follow this through  :-\

Apparently a 'pit bull type' has been kept in solitary confinement by a Police Force for 2 years awaiting for a Court decision.  The Police were advised to shove the food into the kennel and it's never been walked  :'( - wonder who got to clean it out etc.?  RSPCA have had their knuckles wrapped too about host hey deal with taking pets away from the public …..

Our local Police man didn't know the difference between a cocker and a springer  >:(

Kate50

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2016, 10:19:53 PM »

Just realised this is in my county.  The police officer was suspended from duty today.  My DH who works with the police said that police dogs have a dangerous dogs licence so the police officer should not have had him off lead.

CLKD

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

What's a Dangerous Dogs Licence exactly  :-\

Dog out of control in a public place - end of.  No doubt there's a lot of upset all round and police dogs are never to be completely trusted.  Years ago on retirement they would be PTS. 

CLKD

« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »

:welcomemm:  ………. Tiggergirl - what breeds are the dogs that require rehoming?

CLKD

« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2016, 11:32:59 AM »

Are they kept in a kennel until re-homed?  For those dogs which were likely to run away or the 1 that was deaf, I 'ran' on a pony leading rain from the horse supplies place: 11 feet of very strong webbing with a very strong catch for the collar.  Worked really well!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »

We've been lucky with all dogs we've had.  We had a springer spaniel, a Dalmatian cross, a Yorkshire terrier (rescue), a Yorkshire terrier X and currently have a Border Terrier X. 

Our current dog is nearly 17 and very frail and we have decided he will be our last. 

CLKD

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2016, 03:52:28 PM »

What! no TVs  ;D - some kennels have links so that owners can log on to see what their dogs are up to  ::).  It's hard work, ain't it!!!!

CLKD

« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2016, 05:18:12 PM »

Microchipping becomes a legal requirement this week.  However, according to the National Press at the weekend it has been suggested that owners of very old dogs can get an exemption cert. from their regular Vet..  Worth asking if your dog is elderly.

The problem is: unless puppies are done before they are sold from Breeders: and the same Vet. (above) was suggesting that puppies and small toy breeds have died because they have been chipped 'too early' : there will be no come-back on Breeders.  I suspect that the pups died because the chip was inserted at the same time as their first inoculations! I await with interest more information but doubt if the Press will follow up.  Also, many owners don't bother to register their new details when they move, it's way down on the List of things to do.  It costs money to re-register.  Many people won't want to pay out.  Chips have been known to migrate ………..

My view on it has always been that Breeders should be responsible so that the pup/dog can be traced back to them, they will, if responsible, hold paper work as to where and when the pups were sold.  That way a found dog can go back to the Breeder who can then contact who they sold it to. 

I think that this will run and run ……. it's a money spinner for someone  ::).  Working dogs don't have to have a chip and I would have thought that they were more likely to go astray as pets  ::)!

CLKD

« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »

It's all happening around here  :sigh:

People 'down' the estate had a new pup in April, now the direct neighbours who are renting have a new pup [Monday] which they imported from TURKEY  >:(.  For goodness sake, there are enough dogs handed into rescue in the UK every day  :'(.

I think this importing of dogs from abroad should be stopped, I never agreed with Pet Passports.  There are several mites etc. being brought in which are causing fatalities because Vet's don't recognise the signs  :-\

getting_old

« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2016, 08:27:30 PM »

Were they living in Turkey CLKD? If so, they may have had the dog with them for some time before they moved, and wanted to bring it with them. I know some people do leave dogs with friends or family if they move country or if their circumstances change but I could never leave mine unless I absolutely had to.

CLKD

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2016, 08:28:36 PM »

Nope.  As far as I know they have never been to Turkey  :-\ - they say that the dog needed 're-homing' ….. on a web-site.  It looks like an AlsationX ……. with a brindle coat …….

SadLynda

« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2016, 09:15:59 AM »

one of the other dog walkers round me adopted from abroad, lovely young pup - 'claimed' to have had all health injections too, but had not, the pup died of dystemper (sp?) within a few weeks.

Afraid I agree, our rescue centres are full to capacity in the uk, and there are many a healthy dog PTS due to lack of space.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 45