Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Any volunteering ideas please?  (Read 16087 times)

Bette

Any volunteering ideas please?
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »

Hi everyone
I haven't posted for a while but have been checking in and reading threads.
Life is a bit challenging at the moment; lost beloved boxer dog just before Xmas and f-i-l on NYD. Mum struggled for a while but is back on track, albeit with memory problems and the other challenges that are inevitable at 94.
I'm doing ok meno-wise; Femoston 2/10 suits me well. Sadly, just as my energy levels have increased and I'm feeling well enough to do more, my work has started to diminish and I see no chance of that changing. I miss it dreadfully but need to drag myself out of the pit I'm heading into; too much dwelling on the past and thinking "if only" is getting me nowhere and poor OH is having to cope with my low mood which just isn't fair.
So, I need to find new outlets. Any thoughts on where to start to find volunteering opportunities? I tried a dog rescue a couple of years ago and a cat rescue last year but no joy. Started to look on the internet but there seem to be endless sites which will take an age to trawl through, though I suppose that would give me something to do!
Any advice gratefully received.
Bette x

Rowan

Re: Any volunteering ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:02:59 AM »

Bette glad you are back.

What interests you or moves you, you will alwayd be happier if you do something that makes you want to get up in the morning. In the mean time why not go to your local library and have a look at the Notice Board there is usually lots of info there.

If you like reading would a reading group interest you?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »

Welcome back Bette.

My daughter did some voluntary work in The British Heart Foundation although she would have preferred Oxfam.

All you do is go into the charity shop and ask. You then go on a waiting list and well......wait.

The WVRS is always looking for helpers/ drivers etc.

As Rowan said you need to think about a favourite charity and start from there.

Honeyb
X

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

Hi Bette, welcome back.

If there is an Air Ambulance near you, they are often looking for fund raisers. I had to go to court a couple of weeks ago, and the sandwich / coffee bar was run by volunteers to raise funds for the Air Ambulance.

RSPCA centres may want volunteers for dog walking / care, or possibly fund raising

As Rowan says, see what information is available in the local library

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »

Hi, glad to see you back.  How about volunteering for local old folks lunch club or similar. I remember my mum getting dragged along by someone, thinking it wasn't for her. She ended up doing it for several years. I think she secretly enjoyed it. Got her out the house and she could have a good natter too. Nursery I worked in was attached to a church, who ran lunch clubs too.  I'm sure there must be many places crying out for volunteers, just depends on what you fancy really.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »

Lots of good ideas so not a lot to add really  ::) except glad you are back.  Sorry about the dog, it's hard, a gap is always left.

Charity shops. (sorting clothing, books, ironing etc.)
Church outlets
Shelter
Soup kitchens - Sally Army for example
Animal rescue can be a bit fraught
Teaching assistant

We tried to sell over 200 books in recent years and those that were taking up space here went to a charity warehouse last Tuesday.  I contacted the dedicated chairty book shop who advised taking it to the warehouse for sorting.  Maybe there is one in your area? 

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »

Hi Bette - good to see you back and that you are now able to look further forward.

Most towns seem to have a volunteer centre or bureau. You can search for one under this link http://www.do-it.org.uk/  Not sure how up to date it is though.

Taz x

littleminnie

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »

Nice to see you back Bette.
Our local free paper put adverts in for volunteers so maybe try that?

gilaray

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »

OMG there are countless volunteering opportunities out there
Someone else mentioned the just do it website which is excellent
There are food banks springing up all over the place that need volunteers, I volunteer for the citizens advice bureau which I love
Go for it, it will enrich your life for sure

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »

Have you heard of the Cinnamon Trust.  They always need volunteers to walk pets for elderly people who are ill or in hospital.  I think that's a really good idea because it is a major prob for elderly people and they worry so about their pets.

Dyan

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »

Hello Bette,
Lovely to have you back. :)
Sorry to hear of your bereavements.
I have just signed up for voluntary work with Marie Curie cancer care.
I know this is only for March when they collect.
I'm doing 2 hours one wk in March at my local Morrisons and another 2 hours at my local Stresscos  ;D.
Never done anything like this before so thought I would give it a go and see how I get on.
You probably want something a bit more permanent?
I'm sure they'll be something out there for you Bette.

Love Dyan X

Lucky Stone

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 08:59:26 PM »

Hello Bette, been a while, so sorry to hear about your losses, such a difficult time. And not everyone understands about losing an animal. ??? Volunteering - we have a place locally where kids who come from difficult backgrounds (drink, drugs, disfunctional homes) go after school, a sort of club that gives them support. There might be something similar near you, they need help with homework and just some positive adult input. Or how about reading for the blind, again, we have a newspaper here and people get together and read out interesting articles fot the tape. I agree, the local library would be a good place to look or how about asking at the CAB? I have another friend who does something called 'befriending' which involves having a chat on the phone to someone isolated and lonely - you have their number and agree when to call but they don't get yours, so it's kind of on your terms.

Anyway, mainly added to this thread to say hello, I always appreciated your posts when I was new on here and struggling, the struggling continues on and off as it seems to for us all. Take care x

KatieLiz

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »

Glad you're back Bette, I had noticed your absence and was wondering how you were!  Not really sure about volunteering but maybe local hospitals?  As other people have said, it depends on your interests.  Is there anything similar to what work you were doing?  Good luck whatever you decide. x

Tracy Wood

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »

Hi Bette, so pleased to see you are back and sorry to hear of all you news.  I work from home for myself so always fearing the work drying up.

Also working from home, I can get stir crazy and fed up with my own company, especially through meno!!

I volunteer at our local cinema which is a small charity affair and have become treasurer for St Johns.  But the best thing for me was the WI, I thought it would be all fusty and jam and cakes, boy was I wrong, our meetings include tai chi, perfume mixing, we also have trips to cinema, events and theatres.  I have become their secretary, so have extra meetings and input.

I hope you find something that interests you and take care.  Now is the time for you. Tx

Rowan

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »

WI is having a revival, Mary Berry (really admire her) is said to have something to do with it, as Yebony says its not all jam making and cakes, I have thought too of joining. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4