Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Any volunteering ideas please?  (Read 16085 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Any volunteering ideas please?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »

The rents round here are horrendously high as are houses. My daughter couldn't move from the farm estate where she lives as she would have to pay much more. The rent is £700 a month for a tiny bungalow, 2 bedrooms, but in good condition and it is in a lovely rural position, with a lovely small community around. Elsewhere, she would have to pay a lot more. They struggle to pay the rent, particularly since they had a child. No way could they afford child care, so us grandparents help where we can.

Suzi Q

Re: Any volunteering ideas please?
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2014, 01:32:27 AM »

Hi everyone
I haven't posted for a while but have been checking in and reading threads.
Life is a bit challenging at the moment; lost beloved boxer dog just before Xmas and f-i-l on NYD. Mum struggled for a while but is back on track, albeit with memory problems and the other challenges that are inevitable at 94.
I'm doing ok meno-wise; Femoston 2/10 suits me well. Sadly, just as my energy levels have increased and I'm feeling well enough to do more, my work has started to diminish and I see no chance of that changing. I miss it dreadfully but need to drag myself out of the pit I'm heading into; too much dwelling on the past and thinking "if only" is getting me nowhere and poor OH is having to cope with my low mood which just isn't fair.
So, I need to find new outlets. Any thoughts on where to start to find volunteering opportunities? I tried a dog rescue a couple of years ago and a cat rescue last year but no joy. Started to look on the internet but there seem to be endless sites which will take an age to trawl through, though I suppose that would give me something to do!
Any advice gratefully received.
Bette x

If you have a local hospital they have a Volunteer dept they are always desperate
The UK and Ozz National Health service rely on Volunteers the wage theyd have to pay in Ozz alone is $12.000000 and Thaswt just in QLD but if u dont fancy hospital. Charity shops ALWAYS need Volunteers and u make pals in Both types and are meeting people Hospital work demands a lot of walking I lost a stone in 3mnths I did Lifeline (Samaritans) in the shop I liked that and the good thing is if u cant make it for some reason IT doesnt matter as your not being pad. But I think u need the equiv of what we have in Ozz now in UK
We call it a Blue Card to make sure your OK with kids. What about doing First Aid and joining St Johns or Red Cross and dont forget the WI they do more than make Jam. I knoiw Vol at hospital may ound odd if your a wee bit depressed but honest you feel better cos oyur helping people and some are not well at all I never felt down
Hospital Vols now do far more than Flowers you take people to dept sometimes sit with them if they r alone.
It is a case of sitting thinking what you like what u think u could do and then look in the PHONE BOOK@ring
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]