Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 254737 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #675 on: May 09, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »

It is difficult not to fall into the child scenario the moment I walk through Mum's door ……..

Ju Ju

« Reply #676 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:33 PM »

When Mum was really ill last year, she muscled in when I was using her toaster and took over, (like she did when I was a child) managing to switch it off. I reminded her I was over 60 and did have a few years of experience with toasters without burning toast!  You have to laugh. Fortunately, she's not so bad as that when she's better. Nor do I stand meekly by fuming. I laugh at her and she backs off. Definitely a shift in our relationship. I'm not bulliable (is that a word?) anymore.

CLKD

« Reply #677 on: May 09, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »

Sadly I wouldn't consider 'taking' on any of the equipment in Mum's house 'cos she would give me a mouthful  :-[ - it really ain't worth the hassle ……..

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #678 on: May 13, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »

Our latest problem is Mum knocking herself, breaking the skin and getting an infection. Her skin is so thin, like tracing paper, and she's only got to touch something and the skin breaks.

A few weeks ago it was the back of her hand and she was having that dressed for weeks before it healed. Two weeks ago she knocked her shin and I cleaned it, dressed it etc and we were scrupulously clean doing it and it is still infected. She's been on antibiotics and getting it dressed every few days and next Fri I have to take her to an ulcer clinic.

She gets herself in such a state with appointments, taking medication etc.  She lives dead opposite the GP surgery so that's fine but often there's no nurse on duty when she goes over and they ask her to go to another surgery about 6 miles away.  Then she panics about finding one of her 3 offspring to take her there.

It's getting so when I ring her every night I dread waiting to hear how she is!

Ju Ju

« Reply #679 on: May 13, 2016, 09:16:17 PM »

It is worrying isn't it? My dads skin is like you describe. He had knocked the back of his hand and the skin came off. He's 91. It was healing when I saw it, but the skin was very dry and flaky, so I suggested he try some the Epidaderm cream I use for washing and emulsifying my skin and he felt it made a lot of difference. He keeps having this problem, but so far hasn't been prone to infection.

Doesn't bode well for me though as when I was young, I was prescribed hydrocortisone ointment for eczema for years. Now my skin is thinner than it should be and minor knocks result in lumps of skin coming away and bleeding. Dad didn't have that kind of history, no eczema.

CLKD

« Reply #680 on: May 14, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »

When I took my dog 'patting' a resident asked me not to touch her skin due to thinning.  She loved to talk to me and stroke my dog but was wary about her legs.  When she was bed bound I would put the dog onto a chair so that the resident could talk at her ......... suited everyone.

SadLynda

« Reply #681 on: May 14, 2016, 04:47:52 PM »

love that you had a 'pat dog' CLKD :) I have a few friends with them, when my youngest dog settles a bit I have thought of it as she loves everyone, but still at that 2/3 year old nutjob stage.

My parents are not doing so bad with the thinning of skin - everything else but not that.

Just thought I would let you know my Dad has just got the full attendance allowance, Mum is still waiting for news.  He got his due to the meds he is on it seems.  Oh, and mum was diagnosed with diabetes this week too, so been doing a lot of shopping and trying to change their eating habits which is a feat in itself.

CLKD

« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »

It was hard work taking round a Great Dane - his rear end remained in the hall way with tail wagging whilst he grinned at the residents in their rooms  ;D.

My Mum went on her first Summer coach day trip this week and seems to have enjoyed herself  ::)

SadLynda

« Reply #683 on: May 17, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »

I love 'Danes' CLKD, my claim to fame is that I used to walk with the guy who bred 'smichael' on corrie.  He kept one of the Pups too 'Ben' used to play with my lurcher till he knocked him over and my boy took it personally.  All the danes now sadly gone, mother 'Lara' many years ago, Ben too.

Glad your mum enjoyed her trip.

I am now back to the 'you must see GP' game with my Mum, and she is refusing to go, not looking forward to tomorrow's game with it again.  Her legs have swollen due to being taken off diuretics and she is hot, I think running a temp, behaving very childish at the moment, hoping for a better day tomorrow.

CLKD

« Reply #684 on: May 17, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »

:-[  don't pity your day SadLynda  ::).  Are you able to ring her GP for advice B4 you go visit?

babyjane

« Reply #685 on: May 26, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »

Hope she does well in her new room stellajane  :)

SadLynda

« Reply #686 on: May 27, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »

:-[  don't pity your day SadLynda  ::).  Are you able to ring her GP for advice B4 you go visit?

Saga continue's - I have been at parents more than home, hence lack of posts.  Got Mum to GP, he put her back on diuretics, she then got a UTI had to stop diuretics, legs still swollen - GP on leave fgs ::)  finally got treatment for UTI today, now on our own till Tuesday due to bank holiday, hoping things improve or it will be ambulance and she wont like that at all - behavoir is very poor due to her confusion from the infection.  My Dad cant cope at all.

Thanks CLKD for interest.  One thing all this does is keep my mind totally off me ::)

SadLynda

« Reply #687 on: May 29, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »

Thanks StellaJane, it got worse the GP had prescribed AB's that were NOT to be taken with the drugs Mum is taking, so it was Friday before she started on the right AB's.  No, Mum wont put her feet up either, says she cant do it due to the oesteo.

Now the AB's have upset her stomach, which is not so good for her kidneys and the dehydration, cant force her to drink and its hard work trying to make her increase fluids.  She had a better day yesterday but not great today :(

CLKD

« Reply #688 on: May 30, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »

Social Services/District Nurse will give advice on how to raise the bed to relief swelling.  Some Surgeries have a dedicated ulcer nurse so might be worth while asking if one is available.

CLKD

« Reply #689 on: June 01, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »

Poems don't do it for me either  >:(  ::)

If your Mum is settled, that's the main issue!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74