Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 74

Author Topic: For all of us looking after elderly relatives  (Read 256859 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: For all of us looking after elderly relatives
« Reply #660 on: May 01, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »

:thankyou:     :wub:

Ju Ju

« Reply #661 on: May 02, 2016, 06:44:42 PM »

Mum has not had another hives attack and all that follows for 10 weeks since taking antihistamines everyday. Dad says she has had a few melt downs which would have triggered an attack normally.

Dad has had his driving licence renewed for another 3 years. He's 91. He's not sure how long he wants to carry on driving, but life would be difficult without the car as they can't walk far. At least his eyesight is fine. He finds his spacial awareness is compromised. No nifty manoeuvres in tight corners as in the past. 

CLKD

« Reply #662 on: May 02, 2016, 07:42:25 PM »

Ju Ju - maybe suggest that he has an assessment from the Association (can't remember the correct title  :-\).  Also, my parents were worried about Dad not driving [long story short  :-\] but managed with local Taxis.   Maybe your Dad could try the various services in their area before he decided when to stop driving himself?  Mum built up a good working relationship with a Firm near them.  They really looked after them too, never left her standing anywhere and promised to fetch/take her anywhere so that she wasn't left feeling vulnerable.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:44:02 PM by CLKD »

Ju Ju

« Reply #663 on: May 03, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »

That's a good idea. They manage to come and visit me occasionally and I dread them not being able to do that as I will have to visit there far more and I find that exhausting. They do have a scooter, mainly for Mum, but she rarely uses it. It's easier to go anywhere in the car. With my encouragement they tried online food shopping, but hate it.

getting_old

« Reply #664 on: May 03, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »

I used the following "arguments" for taxis over cars:
- no maintenance or repairs required, so no trips to garage and associated costs
- no parking fees, and picked up / dropped off at the door
- no insurance
- no depreciation
Obviously you do pay for some of the above in the fare, but only what you use.

CLKD

« Reply #665 on: May 03, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »

Ju Ju - if they used a taxi service they could go shopping or maybe there's a community bus near them?  Sometimes local 'groups' hire coaches for day's out which can include grocery shopping.  Mum goes with the Church group or pays a little more to join in a neighbouring village's planned coach trips.  She's 'on the list' apparently and will go anywhere  ::)

It's knowing what is handy to them.  Fortunately Mum's village has a monthly 'rag' with lots of info in i.e. coach trips, local service people, care homes etc..

getting_old - did your arguments sway them?

getting_old

« Reply #666 on: May 04, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »

It worked with my mother CLKD. She thought taxis would be expensive so it was a case of proving that for her needs they were actually cheaper, and much less hassle too. For grocery trips she arranged to share the taxi with a friend so the taxi picked them both up, took them into town where they browsed a bit, had a coffee, did their shopping and were then picked up at the door of the supermarket and driven home.

CLKD

« Reply #667 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »

>phew< !

SadLynda

« Reply #668 on: May 05, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »

hugs to fellow carers.  hope to find some decent time to catch up on all forum at weekend.  Short on hours just now.  Update on Mum is not much, now not sure about kidney as last blood test was better so repeating tomorrow, BP high due to diuretics being stopped but till kidneys settle that stays as, one lot of angina meds reduced as gives her headache.

My Mum is also asleep a lot these days with all the meds, she hates it.

Bottom line is all stable for now.

CLKD

« Reply #669 on: May 05, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »

Get some rest yourself!

Ju Ju

« Reply #670 on: May 05, 2016, 06:43:04 PM »

Conversation with Mum. I asked her if she would like some mousse I had made. Ingredients were advocado, cocoa, agave syrup and lime juice. ( A healthy naughty pud......thank you Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall!) I had made with her type 2 diabetes in mind. She refused to have it as she said advocados were full of fat. I explained all about good fats should be part of her balanced diet, even in a low fat diet. I googled some articles on advocados and type 2 diabetes. Mum remained unconvinced.  Instead, she opted for ice cream!! I despair! Dad thoroughly enjoyed the mousse and ice cream and came back for second.

CLKD

« Reply #671 on: May 05, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »

You can't sway them Ju Ju - I think we can suggest but they won't be told  >:(  ::).  You are still the little girl and of course, no absolutely nothing about anything  ;).  Glad that your Dad enjoyed the pud! (any left?)

Ju Ju

« Reply #672 on: May 05, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »

You have to have a sense of humour!  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #673 on: May 05, 2016, 11:05:55 PM »

I lost my sense of humour with Mum years ago ………. I now have a drawer full of fixed grins and have learned to grit my teeth …….. >sigh<

SadLynda

« Reply #674 on: May 09, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »

Get some rest yourself!

Thanks again, hot weather doing Mum no favours at all.

Juju I know those feelings, does not matter how hard I try to make either of them eat properly they will not listen - as CLKD says we are but 'children' my daughter is always complaining that Granddad treats her like a 3 year old, I keep telling her I am treated as a 6 year old at times despite having to care for them both ::)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 74