Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with joint aches  (Read 709922 times)

Farmer

Re: Tell us how you cope with joint aches
« Reply #330 on: March 04, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »

Hi there all.  I'm new to the site and thankful I have found this section.  I have had agonising pain in my upper arms (not in my muscles) for nearly a year now.  The pain just suddenly started one day in my right arm and then eventually went to my left.  I find putting on a bra, doing up a back zip (just about impossible now), putting on a safety belt, putting something in the back seat of the car, just agony.  The intense pain stays for about 20 seconds and slowly subsides.

I have been to my Dr numerous times and have been tested for various things with have all come back negative.  My Dr thinks I may have Fibromyalgia, as he can't find anything wrong.  After reading this thread, I'm wondering if it's just menopause.  I have also recently starting getting pain in my shoulder and hip joints.  Argh, I'm so over the pain, but I think what makes it worse is not having an actual diagnosis.  Rather than getting better, I seem to be getting worse.  Im 49, (feel 90) and post menopausal. 

It's nice to have a place to vent and to find others with similar aches and pains.  I very rarely tell anyone about my pain as I feel like no one is really interested lol. 

Bette

« Reply #331 on: March 04, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

Hi Farmer
 :welcomemm:
How long have you been post-meno? I'm surprised that you weren't offered HRT as it helps to protect your heart and bones, particularly before 50. Maybe there's a particular reason for you not being able to take it?  ???
You might like to introduce yourself on "New Members" as newbies can get missed in the middle of existing threads and others will want to welcome you.  ;)
Bette x

Farmer

« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2012, 05:51:51 AM »

Hi Bette and Susan.
Post for 2 years now and not on HRT by choice and also my GP isn't so keen on it.

I personally think the pain in my arms/shoulder joints is not due to menopause and from what I've read, it doesn't sound like Fibromyalgia either.  My GP (and me) are at a loss really.

Thanks for your replies. :)

Taz2

« Reply #333 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »

Hi Farmer - welcome to the forum  :)

Fibromyalgia usually affects more than just the shoulders and arms plus you get a really draining fatigue with it. You need to have "tender points" in various parts of the body for a proper diagnosis.

It sounds rather like frozen shoulder to me and being unable to do up a bra is typical of this condition. Has it ever been mentioned? It is a condition linked to menopause http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Frozen-Shoulder.htm   If it is this then you are really unlucky to have developed it in both.

I too am surprised that you weren't offered HRT just for the few years up to 51 (normal meno age) as the risks from HRT are only thought to begin after reaching this magic age and before then you are only replacing what your body should have been making naturally. I found that HRT did wonders for my aching joints and painful hips etc. but I can understand if you would prefer to manage without it.

You will find loads of support on here and laughs along the way.

Taz x

Rossb

« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2012, 04:08:20 PM »

After a second nasty experience, not with HRT but with stopping it, I thought it wise to warn others of the possible debilitating side effects by relating my experience. 

After suffering the ghastly mood swings, sweats and everything else associated with the menopause for several months, I decided that quality of life was perhaps better than quantity, and decided to try HRT.  I started on Kliovance 5 years ago and immediately felt 100% better.  I have been happy and healthy, fit and active for those five years.   In spring 2011 my GP advised that I should think about coming off HRT as, with my family history (my mother had breast cancer although it was successfully treated and when she died 18 years later, it had not recurred), it could be detrimental to stay on it for any longer.  I was unaware of the need to decrease the dosage slowly, and stopped overnight.  The results were catastrophic.  Within weeks my joints were so painful I could barely walk, by the summer I could not lift a dinner plate without extreme pain.  We were beginning to plan on moving our bedroom downstairs and I was feeling despondent to say the least.  I visited all 5 GP's at my local surgery and all denied vehemently the fact that it might be connected to the cessation of HRT.  I was given Ibuprofen and told it was arthritis - something 'older women' just have to put up with (I am 60 years old).   After a particularly painful day, out of sheer desperation, I decided to try going back onto HRT - I had nothing to lose at that point.  Within days I felt slight improvement, within three weeks I was back to my old self - no pain at all. 

A lesson learnt I thought, but I was still aware that I should not be taking HRT at all after such a long time, so I decided to have another go, this time taking a more gradual approach.  I waited until November and started by missing one every other day for several weeks, then missing two days, then just three weeks ago I progressed to missing three days in between.  Apart from the odd flush, I felt well, until 14 days ago when I developed an excrutiatingly painful perianal abcess.   I immediately suspected the lack of HRT again, but - again, my GP said it was not connected, so I spent a week on powerful but ineffective antibiotics.  I was in such pain that I ignored the GPs advice and five days ago,went back on my Kliovance every day.  I am already noticing an improvement.  Ironically, on my second visit to the GP two days ago, I was prescribed eostregen cream - I asked the same question re HRT connections, and I was told that yes, it was related and I should keep taking the Kliovance as I was clearly not suited to being without it!!   So that's it - I am in for the duration - nothing will persuade me to miss even one day from now on!  Not only am I convinced that quality of life is so much more important than quantity, but I shall always question my GPs decisions in future - they are clearly not infallible.

I do hope this helps others who may be facing the same situation.

Bette

« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2012, 04:15:17 PM »

Hi Rossb
 :welcomemm:
Thank you for a very useful, informative post.  :thankyou:
If you'd like to introduce yourself on "New Members", I'm sure that others will want to welcome you - newbies often get missed in the middle of existing threads.  ;)
Lots of info, support and chat here. Laughs too - do check out the "Funnies."  ;D
Bette x

Rossb

« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »

Thank you Bette, but I'm having trouble negotiating the site - I have seen the list of new members via the drop down box bottom right, but can't see how I add myself?!

Bette

« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »

I didn't mean that, Rossb, I meant that if you go to the Forum front page, click on "New Members" and then on "NEW TOPIC", you could start a thread to introduce yourself. Hard to explain but hopefully this link will get you to the right section:-
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html
Otherwise, just join in with existing threads - we're not fussy here, just love having new ladies to chat to!  ;)
Bette x

Rossb

« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »

Ah I see!!
Is it acceptable to just repeat my original in this section?  I've spent most of my afternoon reading lots of interesting posts and my alpacas are waiting for their tea!!
Thanks again - it's so good to know there's someone to talk to now  :clapping:

Bette

« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »

I think that copying and pasting your original post is a great idea - would be good to make sure that as many see it as possible.
And please tell us more about your alpacas when you have the time!  :P :)
Bette x

purplenanny

« Reply #340 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »

Hi Rossb and welcome.

I found your post very interesting, thank you.

May I ask if you have any bleeding on the hrt you are taking?

I have joint pains and was also told it was arhtritis and told to take ibuprofen!! HRT helped me totally and I felt so good, but sadly heavy bleeding forced me to come off it. I have tried 3 types now,

Purplenanny x x

Farmer

« Reply #341 on: March 15, 2012, 03:04:22 AM »

Hi Farmer - welcome to the forum  :)

Fibromyalgia usually affects more than just the shoulders and arms plus you get a really draining fatigue with it. You need to have "tender points" in various parts of the body for a proper diagnosis.

It sounds rather like frozen shoulder to me and being unable to do up a bra is typical of this condition. Has it ever been mentioned? It is a condition linked to menopause http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Frozen-Shoulder.htm   If it is this then you are really unlucky to have developed it in both.

I too am surprised that you weren't offered HRT just for the few years up to 51 (normal meno age) as the risks from HRT are only thought to begin after reaching this magic age and before then you are only replacing what your body should have been making naturally. I found that HRT did wonders for my aching joints and painful hips etc. but I can understand if you would prefer to manage without it.

You will find loads of support on here and laughs along the way.

Taz x

Thanks Taz, I'll look into it.

Anje

« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:44 PM »

I am so pleased it is not just me with all these aches and pains and seizing up when I sit down, my friends and colleagues laugh with me about it - little do they know what they have to face yet lol .

Thing is - how does this account for my hubby becoming as creaky as me :) at least I can blame the menopause  :D

sandi

« Reply #343 on: April 16, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

I have been suffering with chronic pain for the last 2 years - anyway, recently I was told about a woman called Caroline Myss who was a medical intuitive in America, and became an inspirational speaker.  She developed the idea of woundology, and worked out why people don't heal.  Her theory is that by holding on to pain (emotional or physical), we stay in our story, and by staying in our story healing doesn't take place. She has been giving lectures since the 1980's - have a look at her on You Tube.  She has also written quite a few books.  Definitely food for thought, and I have stopped telling peopl how I am all the time, thinking more towards wellness and healing.  Just when I had mastered acceptance!! . . . . .  .

The other thing I have been doing is 'earthing' myself, by putting my bare feet on the earth for a few mins each day (I warm the grass up with a wheat bag!) You can also buy earthing mats which you can sleep on, or put your feet on.  Apparently people with severe chronic pain are getting major relief from earthing.  Again, all worth trying . . . . .

jax

« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »

I gave in today after 2 nights lost sleep and went to my chiropractor.
had an hour in bed just and a bath and feeling less old :-)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39