Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 582010 times)

beesue

• First Flush
Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #615 on: February 03, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »

Paracetamol, hay fever medication etc works but is all drug based so not a long-term option.

I've suffered such a distressing, negative sleeping habit for years; 4 hours a night was good for me.  That's a thing of the past now since I've started taking melatonin before bed.  I read a book called Melatonin Miracle, available on ebay or amazon. (The book claims that melatonin helps with other health issues but what interested me at this stage is improving my sleep! The others will be a bonus.)

There is a suggested dose depending on age.  I take 1.5mg a night BEFORE bed. I ordered my melatonin online, from USA, because it's only available via prescription in the UK.  Why?  I can't go into the reasons for this, crazy.

I've never had a problem falling asleep at 10/11pm, my problem was going back to sleep after going to the loo in the early hours of the morning.  No trouble with that anymore!  It's fantastic and the quality of my sleep is as it used to be in my younger days.

A word of caution, take the MINIMUM dosage otherwise you will end up sleepy and switched off the next morning.  Very important.  No driving etc if you are in that state.

I'm so pleased with the fact I have a natural sleep aid which is not habit forming (unlike conventional sleeping tablets which doctors are too quick to prescribe).  Why are doctors happy to prescribe sleeping tablets, why are we forced to take paracetamol or Benadryl and not encouraged to take a natural aid like melatonin?   My life has been utterly transformed! :-)

My hear husband (who is 70 years old) also takes melatonin 3mg and is also very happy!

I would suggest you do your homework, even speak to your doctor if you're thinking of doing the same.

Catfish

« Reply #616 on: February 06, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »

Hi I'm new to the forum but joined because I've had a nightmare trying to find the right HRT tablet since prempac has stopped. Been on elleste diet 2mg didn't help had hot flushes, been in femoston 2/10mg but ended up having massive head aches stomach aches and generally feeling unwell. So in December thought we'd try fluoxetine and I'd been told I'd know within 2 weeks if the hot flushes and night sweats were going to stop. No they didn't and I stood it out till January. So a pretty horrible Christmas for me. So now I'm on Cyclo- Progynova 2 mg and just taken the last tablet before the week break. It has taken until last week for my symptoms to fade so I was worried they weren't working. I'm just worried now that this week off will bring the symptoms back

l1zzi313

« Reply #617 on: February 17, 2018, 12:50:17 AM »

I love my bed and sleep or used to.... I have nights where I wake around 4 and can't get back to sleep, or toss and turn for hours before giving up. Some nights I am too tired and just lay there other nights put tv on. Some nights I sleep, all with night sweats....
Spoke to my doctor today who said change jobs, give up and wheat, it's a midlife crisis as well as menopause, all because I told him I am tired all the time and have lost my mojo for anything. Go natural, as I can't take HRT... felt deflated... haven't had the energy for cleaning much or ironing etc... and after listening to some ladies relaying their life I one of the lucky ones at present and it is driving me potty! 

jgr

« Reply #618 on: March 24, 2018, 08:16:09 PM »

I haven't slept well since starting the menopause 7 years ago. Went onto hrt patches Evoril Conti and was never bothered with hot flushes. I thought i was nearing the end of the menopause but  night sweats are back, i don't drip in sweat but too hot and need covers off, even when it's cold outside. What i would do for a good nigh sleep again. :(

Fmstewart

• First Flush
« Reply #619 on: April 20, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »

Hi all,

How do I cope with insomnia? I don't  >:( I'm 47 year old and haven't been a great sleeper since I had my boys who are now 12 and 14. How ever the last 2 years have got progressively worse. I can't get to sleep or I fall asleep exhausted , wake up at 2am, soaked in sweat or get through to 6am , wake up boiling hot with a pounding heachache. I am lucky to have a spare room, so retreat there some nights. However even that doesn't help and I've then resorted to napping on the couch until it's work/school time. I suffer from joint pain, my complex migraines have increased in frequency, I get flushed. I am crabbit ( Scots for grumpy) . My memory , sex drive have left me. My periods are still kind of regular.

I eventually decided to see the GP this week about my insomnia. As a result I am now about to commence HRT. Evokel Sequi. Fingers crossed 🤞. I'm at my wits end!!!

Loo53

« Reply #620 on: May 05, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »

I watch TV until I feel sleepy, or watch my favourite dvds in bed or take something containing paracetamol to relax me. I wake up 2 hourly and it's really annoying I don't get night sweats and never have. I also plug into my radio and listen to someone droning on and that also helps. Sometimes I'll get up and make a cup of decaf tea. I gave up caffeine a year ago.

Shadyglade

« Reply #621 on: May 05, 2018, 08:25:55 PM »

Hi Loo53,

They do say that screen time before bed is not a good idea. Something to do with blue light  ???.

Also you might be better off trying an old fashioned, dozy antihistamine, rather than paracetamol as they are harsh on the liver. Try a warm bath or shower before bed, and reading instead of screen time.

Daisydot

« Reply #622 on: May 05, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »

I still swear by redbush vanilla tea,I get a good 7 hours sleep and I monitor it using my Fitbit charge so I know the patterns,it has no caffeine as it's not strictly a tea it's a herb and I only average two cups a day,I have one breakfast tea when I get up then I have a redbush tea at tea time and another before bed.I drink bottled water during the in between times.im very leased with the results since starting on it,tetley make it by the way.x

Bluebell1

« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »

Hello everybody. I am desperately needing advice on how to sleep. I am on my 3rd brand of HRT. I slept the best on Femostan but this type of HRT did not agree with me. It increased my anxiety & aggrivated my panic attacks where I was choking in bed as I was trying to sleep & relax. I get off to sleep ok but then wide awake at 2am. I have started with night panics too & fear these tremendously. I am presently on the progesterone part of my HRT. My panic/ night terriors have become worseon mylast week of prog part before im due back on oestrogen. Maybe fluctuating hormones contributing. I feel unstable, shattered & desperate. Can anybody help me. My poor GP will be pulling her hair out soon . Thank you

Letmein

« Reply #624 on: June 05, 2018, 06:16:29 AM »

Poor sleep is the worse symptoms of my menopause. I have led a stressful busy life for most of my life, but sleep was always my saviour. I'm now the worse sleeper I know! I tried HRT, and the only time it helped with the sleep was the first few days on progesterone, but then after only 3/4 days it went the other way and felt so hyper, it's even worse.

I've tried everything, absolutely everything! I exercise almost daily, I take a walk in the evenings, I drink plenty of water, I don't drink alcohol, I stop going on the screens after 9pm. I do read in bed on the lightest light on the kindle. Reading is something I've done every night since I was 6 and what always sent me to sleep. It doesn't any longer.

I go some weeks with falling asleep ok but being wide awake at 4am, to going to bed at 9:30 and still be awake at midnight to waking up non stop, to very poor quality sleep etc... I've tried all natural remedy, even tried melatonin. The only thing that works are the prescribed sleeping pills, which I really don't want to use. What really annoys me is that I can understand poor sleep when I am especially stressed, but I'm finding that I struggle to sleep even when I am good in my mind, which of course doesn't last long as I then struggle with the lack of sleep.

I've decided (as with everything else associated with the meno) that I am as well accepting it. It's rubbish, makes things very difficult at work as my concentration is so poor and I've lost all enthusiasm, but I can't do more than what I'm doing.

knorman

« Reply #625 on: July 22, 2018, 07:43:25 AM »

Has anyone heard of the Alpha Stim? Here is a description; This Cranial Electrical Stimulation (CES) device relieves symptoms of Anxiety, Insomnia & Depression quickly and safely without requiring any form of medication.

It is not cheap, but as all three of the above (not so much depression) are a big issue at the moment, I wondered if it was worth a go.  I will have to access pension funds put away, but I am unable to take HRT or anti-anxiety meds and need to find a natural way to make life more bearable at the moment. I do have prescription sleeping tablets, but try my very best not to take them, unless there is something I need to get through the next day (I have CFS/ME also, which makes any sort of event, social or otherwise, tricky). Trouble is, if I take one, the night heats still wake me up and I am unable to get back off again, which is why I only take them when absolutely necessary. Had to take a bit last night (I cut them into quarters!) and I don't like the way they leave me feeling, but at least I know I have had some sleep.  Sweet, natural sleep, that glorious thing, will it ever come back?!

If anyone has had any dealings with this at all, or know someone who has, would you be kind enough to let me know, good and bad? I've discussed with other half and he says he hears' Quakery', but the British Army has started using this device for PTSD with very good results. I'm not gullible, but do wonder if I am being sucked in, but I have tried all other natural solutions and need help. Thank you! x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #626 on: July 22, 2018, 08:38:01 AM »

I would talk to your doctor about this. I'm very sceptical about these alternative remedies.  I have accepted that sleep will never be the same again.  If I get a reasonable 5-6 hours sleep with only 2-3 trips to the bathroom during this time, then I feel I've had a good night. If I have anything stressful going on then the brain doesn't switch off and it's torture.   I do lots of Mindfulness when I lie there awake in the night and I've found this is the only thing that helps.  Occasionally, when desperate, I take an antihistamine which will give me a better night - but as you say - it can make you groggy in the morning.

Sleep deprivation is awful.  DG x

Big D

« Reply #627 on: July 22, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »

i find that this is a difficult time for me and one of the more sever symtoms, lack of sleep! i now take a book to bed to read but also have started to take Kalms at night to help me relax.  there are times i have went to work on only one or two hours sleep.  the knock on effect is i tend to be more easily upset and emotional  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #628 on: July 22, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »

Big D - lack of sleep plus hormonal upheaval makes most of us weepy.  I have replied to your other thread ;-)

JaneL

« Reply #629 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:46 PM »

At the moment, with the hot weather and hot flushes, coping very badly.

I listen to audiobooks and sometimes nod off, but I'm not sure about the quality of sleep.

I do use the f.lux screensaver which makes the screen progressively less blue as the evening goes on, and do try to end screentime as early as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46