Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 628021 times)

sn00py

Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #600 on: September 18, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »

I take Mirtazapine 15mg and 20 mg Promethazine at 7:40 P.M. for sleep, anxiety and depression. If i still can't sleep, i take another 10mg Promethazine around 11:00 P.M. Not too late. Then i feel terribly groggy in the morning and i can't function.

Roseneath

« Reply #601 on: September 19, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »

I had terrible insommnia for 5 nights straight back in May. GP finally gave me Nitrazapam as the 'J' sleeping meds didn't work for me. The Nitrazapam got me a good 5-6 hours straight then over 2 weeks I gradually reduced the dose. The best things I did was go on holiday, totally took me mind off the anxiety of not getting to sleep. I also realised that I slept so well in the hotel because it was pitch black. Got home, painted room taupe, moved bed away from window, got black out blinds, cosy lamps....so far sleeping is much improved. I find at certain times of the month my anxiety /gas AND going to sleep are all off piste; anxiety playing a big part. I still have the Nitrazapan and would not hesitate to take it in the short term as it did get me back on track.  (At one point I Googled 'Imsomnia causes' and was convinced I had a terrible disease called Fatal Insomnia and I would never sleep again! This of course made everything worse. The GP thought it was funny and said it was jut one of many ' internet' diseases that dosn't really exist. No one has died from lack of sleep, your body will always crash out when it really needs to. He was right of course ).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #602 on: September 19, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »

Get up and make a cuppa.   I have very busy involved dreams that leave me exhausted each morning and occasionally I wake in the early hours.  usually due to family issues which I deal with in the day but in the early hours  :-\

Joaniepat

« Reply #603 on: September 19, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »

As Roseneath says, having the room dark enough is important. When the local borough council started turning the street lights off at midnight I found I slept much better. Even roller blinds and blackout curtains didn't keep all the light out from the lampost near my bedroom window. My other tips are no caffiene after 3pm and at bedtime a small cup of Clipper Sleep Easy brewed for 5 minutes. Oh and Ovestin helped too, as I don't have to get up in the night any more.

sn00py

« Reply #604 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »

Last night i had a hot mug of Horlicks before bed time. And it helped to have a less wakeful night. I woke up at 2:00 A.M but after potty break went back to sleep. Otherwise i am jolted out of sleep at 3:30 and it takes a while to fall asleep.

I also make the bedroom completely dark.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #605 on: September 20, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »

Horlicks  :sick02::rofl:  funny enough my Mum told me that she found a can in the cupboard so has been making some for change from cocoa.

Another restless night ...... made a cuppa at 5.00  ::)

Roseneath

« Reply #606 on: September 21, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »

Update: ! I am re-reading the second hand Nancy Drew  & Arthur Ransome books I liked as a teen! I won't let myself read anything remotely exciting at night e.g. the Laine Moriarty books I like or my Kindle.  Really comforting pre-bed and they don't get your brain whirring round.  Have slept bit better.

Roseneath

« Reply #607 on: November 27, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »

Had a bad few days of sleep which means I feel wired and worried today. It is such a vicious circle if you also have anxiety. I think only a head transplant will help! I have some Nitrazapam left but am going to try a glass of wine tonight; yes I know if goes against everything but I think I need to chill out a bit, I am over thinking everything. If anyone comes up with how to turn off a buzzy, worried brain that kicks in at 11:00am let me know! (Have tried...counting sheep, relaxing muscles, imagining nie places, minfullness, getting up, not clock watching, counting backwards from 100, thinking about past holidays....and that was just last night!).

Kate

« Reply #608 on: November 27, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »

I listen to talking books on my phone. Very easy listening books, sometimes children's ones as someone else posted. Nothing too exciting, interesting or scary. I set it to turn off in 45 minutes and listen to it on low through one earphone which falls out once Im asleep and turn over. It stops my mind going into overdrive.

Roseneath

« Reply #609 on: December 09, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »

I just wanted to share some sucess I have had with improving my sleep as Insomnia has been one of my worst symptoms which feed everything else.   I am sure hormones play a huge party in my sleep disturbance as it always co-incides with feeling agitated/'panicy'.  I have tried everything when I get a bad bout but this time I seem to have kicked it back in touch much more quickly. 1) Keep the room cool 2) Read something easy a good 30 minutes before bed  whilst drinking 3) Camomile tea 4)  When you turn the light out I keep my eyes open for a good 10 minutes; I make myself not shut my eyes and just let me mind drift.
5) I use Bachs Sleep Rescue. I am a total sceptic when it comes to homeopathic stuff but since using this I have been going off quicker and not waking up as much. Probably just placebo effect but who cares if it works 6) If I have 2-3 really bad 'no sleep' nights in a row I will take half a Nitrazapam sleeping pill. I have only used these twice and only for 1-2 nights but for me they do give me a good 3-4 hours and reset my sleep cycle. I tried the 'Z' drugs and they didn't work for me. 

sn00py

« Reply #610 on: December 14, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »

I am on 15 mg Mirtazapine every night. Thankfully Z drugs work for me. So if i have a bad night, i take 1/2 Zopiclone, which is just 1.85 mg. But it helps. I am still waking up with unpleasant anxiety and depression, which gets better as the day wears on. Some days, it just never gets better. When i fall sick with a flu or a cold, my depression gets worse and subsequently so does my sleep. It takes longer for me to bounce back, especially emotionally. This December it will be 4 years since the whole nightmare started for me. On the whole my sleep has gotten better when i look back 4 years ago. If i go off of Mirtazapine, I think the whole nightmare will start again. So I am sticking on to the meds.

Louise2010

« Reply #611 on: December 14, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »

I regularly (every night for last 2 weeks) wake at 3am or there abouts. I then can't go back to sleep 😩 As a consequence my immune system is compromised and I now have a chesty cough and cold....so I'm not sleeping from coughing 😩
I literally just get up and carry on but I'm exhausted and have aged what looks like 10 years in the last fortnight.
I'm changing my hrt (for peri symptoms) from Evorel S to Fem 7 S. 🤞🏻 Although it's the progesterone that is the culprit so I could be trying out new ones for a while .....😩😩😩
All I really want for Christmas is a whole uninterrupted nights sleep although I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that at 47, this is as good as it gets. 😄

Roseneath

« Reply #612 on: December 19, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »

I really sympathis Louise. I never game sleep a moments thought until I hit peri at 46 and it is my biggest boogyman now.
I have periods I am OK and things work but a few times in the last year I have had whole weeks with little sleep which fuels anxiety. I have literally tried everything but those night I wake after only a few hours and just can't get off. I have Nitrazapam in stock which my GP encourages me to take when everything else fails. It is exhausting though and very hard to live with.

Coll

« Reply #613 on: January 19, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »

I keep paracetamol next to my bed, and Iv found 2 of those ( not containing caffeine or e numbers) knock me out almost straight away.
Down side is can't take them during the day anymore for headaches etc in case I fall asleep x

zodiac

« Reply #614 on: February 01, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »

:'( hi, I only sleep for 4 hrs on a good night, and only 1 hr is deep sleep I only know this as the sleep app on my watch tells me lol, which Ive stopped useing coz it naffs me off, I go to wrk at 5 and Ive already spent all nite trying to sleep,
I don't smoke, don't drink caffeineated drinks, I read a book bfor bed, i only drink decaf coffee and only drink that in a morning at 4am as goto wrk at 5 so in total. Have 2 decaf coffees a day, I take proprananol beta blockers for migraines as its the only thing that keeps them at bay,
Im very active as go to the gym do yoga, take my dogs out, got a granddaughter and one on her way today, :), Ive  tried kalms n sleep aids but the valerian root gives me headaches, I have been given sleeping tablets by the doctor but for how long they will give me them for I don't know but if I don't take them I don't sleep
Im so sick of this menopause crap it's ruining my life, hot, moody, fed up, cant sleep, don't have sex  >:(  >:(
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46