Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 179

Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 197434 times)

getting_old

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1470 on: April 13, 2020, 06:55:27 PM »

The journalists are probably told what questions they are allowed to ask  >:(

Tc

« Reply #1471 on: April 14, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »

Update on my sis MIL. She is back on covid ward. 1st swab positive and lung scan positive. They are discounting a second negative test as a false negative.

She is being treated with  hydroxychloroquine

Realy upsetting as she has not been "with it" at all since falling very sick with 2nd stage.when my sis called ambulance she wasnt communicating at all (she is normally fine)  In fact nurse told sis yesterdsy that she hadnt spoken since shes been there .  but they phoned sis today to say they felt she was able minded enough to sign and so have got her to sign a DNR. .

Xx

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:44:26 PM by Tc »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #1472 on: April 14, 2020, 03:15:27 PM »

:o.  is that really necessary  :-\ ?

Tc

« Reply #1473 on: April 14, 2020, 03:18:59 PM »

Do you mean me mentioning it or them doing it. ?

CLKD

« Reply #1474 on: April 14, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »

sorry - is it necessary for your aunt to have signed a DNR?  Are there underlying factors for example .......... such a sad situation  :'(

Tc

« Reply #1475 on: April 14, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »

Good. I wouldnt want to upset anyone. But I think you are right. 

When my wife had terminal.cancer. she was in and out hospital the last few months and they were constantly shoving DNR form under her nose. They kept sending different ppl to do it. One week it was every single day. She felt they were badgering her and I had to complain >:(

Xxx

CLKD

« Reply #1476 on: April 14, 2020, 03:47:55 PM »

This should be discussed early on? and reviewed as a patient becomes tired with treatment etc.??

CLKD

« Reply #1477 on: April 14, 2020, 03:49:28 PM »

That's far enough and helpful for relatives. 

Jeepers

« Reply #1478 on: April 14, 2020, 03:53:30 PM »

Hi Tc

So sorry to hear about your aunt, I hope the treatment works.

They got my dad to sign one when he had lung cancer too, even though I know he didn't want  to, he felt he had to..  :'(

Sparrow

« Reply #1479 on: April 14, 2020, 03:59:11 PM »

My mum signed one.  Broke my dad's heart but it was what she wanted.

Tc

« Reply #1480 on: April 14, 2020, 04:56:56 PM »

I understand that  resusitation is  brutal.
I also get that sometimes once resuscitated the person will then be on a ventilator. It's not like the films. I get that. And with  a terminal person who has weeks to live it would then be spent on life support. So I can see all the reasoning.

With my wife it wasnt the fact they asked her it was the fact they wouldnt leave it alone and they were so forceful. And the way they did it wasnt tactful either it was quite uncaring.  They distressed her. 

Doc told sis that they are not having good success with resuscitation with covid.  So scary.
Xx

CLKD

« Reply #1481 on: April 14, 2020, 05:14:57 PM »

Probably with those with underlying conditions. 

Tc

« Reply #1482 on: April 14, 2020, 06:24:05 PM »

I should add sis MIL has got underlying conditions. But they have said they come secondary now to trying to fight virus as it is the bigger threat to her life.

Sorry to bring up DNR. It's a painful subject for everyone  but I think it's probably coming up a lot with very sick covid patients.

Xxx

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #1483 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »

Just to illustrate the other side to the story. My MIL was brought round when in ICU - but she was as mad as hell with DIL for allowing them to do it because she knew she was terminal anyway.

I know a woman who tried to kill herself having  pinned a note to her jumper saying ?Do not resuscitate?.  She was found and they did resuscitate her!!

Hurdity

« Reply #1484 on: April 14, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »

Update on my sis MIL. She is back on covid ward. 1st swab positive and lung scan positive. They are discounting a second negative test as a false negative.

She is being treated with  hydroxychloroquine

Realy upsetting as she has not been "with it" at all since falling very sick with 2nd stage.when my sis called ambulance she wasnt communicating at all (she is normally fine)  In fact nurse told sis yesterdsy that she hadnt spoken since shes been there .  but they phoned sis today to say they felt she was able minded enough to sign and so have got her to sign a DNR. .

Xx

Sorry to hear about your sister's MIL Tc

Interesting that she is being given hydroxycholorquine. She must be in one of the hospitals that have signed up for the trials?  I do hope she will be on the road to recovery soon.

However a trial in Brazil using chloroquine has been halted early due to patient deaths. There can be problems with patients who have cardiovascular problems I gather.

https://www.sciencealert.com/clinical-trial-for-high-dose-of-chloroquine-stopped-early-due-to-safety-concerns

I dont want to be alarming but it's not necessarily a magic bullet. However there are two hospitals in UK that have been trialling it. One on London (Barts) and one in the SW (Exeter). This article quotes a woman from Devon who was on the trial had the drug and recovered but doesn't know if it was due to the drug or if she would have got better anyway. The article is here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nhs-donald-trump-malaria-drug-hydroxychloroquine-trials-barts-royal-devon-a9461671.html

I'm going to update the scientific info about this on the other thread but just thought I would mention here as it is talked about a lot.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 179