Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How quickly does hrt leave your system?  (Read 19808 times)

Nickyp

How quickly does hrt leave your system?
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:21 PM »

Hi all
Just a quick question, how soon after stopping hrt does it completely get out of your system? If you stop it for a month and then restart, do you go through the normal 'settling in ' period again?

Reason for asking I've had some spotting after restarting hrt after a month of stopping it. I have a scan next week, but just thinking of another angle.

Tia

Hurdity

Re: How quickly does hrt leave your system?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by another angle?

Systemic levels return to baseline within days, but the longer term effects mediated through more complex cell physiology (known as genomic effects) can take months.

It is difficult to answer your question re spotting without knowing what HRT you were on, what you are on now and where in menopause you are! Spotting can occur for all sorts of reasons.  Have you been referred for a scan because of the spotting?

Hurdity x

Nickyp

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply Hurdity.

By another angle I just meant could things be settling down after restarting the hrt, in the hope this is the reason for the spotting and nothing more serious.

I'm 5 years post meno and taking elleste duet continuous. I have been taking it since Jan 2016. I stopped taking it in Jan 2017 for a month on advise of the doctor due to the spotting episode. I restarted it at the end of Feb as my meno symptoms returned and apart from the spotting incident felt good taking it. I had another spotting incident last week which is why I've been referred for a scan which I'm am so anxious about. I know spotting can be for a number of reasons, but I can't help but worry.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »

It's much more of a worry if you experience spotting when post-menopausal and not taking HRT.  Although it is good to get checked out there can be all sorts of reasons for this spotting and especially when taking oral HRT - since hormone levels can fluctuate and are also subject to the vagaries of your digestive system leading to inconsistent doses on occasion. I don't know how old you are but have you thought of a patch, if the spotting continues?

Yes stopping and starting could well have an effect. I'm sure it will be fine - do try not to worry! Make sure you let us know the outcome.

Take care.

Hurdity x

Nickyp

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:15:30 PM »

Hi there, quick update, apparently the lady who did the scan said she didn't see anything of concern and all is ok -phew! She is sending a full report to my doctor, but she dud tell me my womb lining was 3mm, is this ok being post meno?

My other question is, I had the scan due to spotting, I can put up with this if I know there's nothing untoward causing it, everything else about the hrt seems to suit me. So if I carry on with it and have spotting again in a few months time would I need to get it checked out again or will the scan not change that much in that time, or could something appear in that time - hope that makes sense?

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »

Nickyp, I'm glad that all is OK, 3mm is a very good measurement and completely normal for someone post menopause and taking a continuous combined form of HRT.

If you are happy with your current HRT regime then definitely stick with it because HRT can be difficult to get right.  It is not worth changing unless you have a problem. 

Just for your own peace of mind, why not have a uterine scan once a year or perhaps every two years?  The NHS might pay for it or you could pay for it yourself, I think it costs about £100. 

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »

Hi NickyP

Thanks for the update. What sort of scan did you have - was it ultra-sound or trans-vaginal? I ask because you mention that the radiographer saw nothing of concern so I presume trans-vaginal? As the endometrium is so thin - it may well be that the spotting is due to a degree of endometrial atrophy - but at least the progestogen in the HRT  you use is doing its job. However the spotting could also be due to the stopping and starting that you mentioned?

All in all anyway it's good news and you can carry on as before without worry!

Hurdity x

Nickyp

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »

It was both scans so at least everything was checked. I can express how relieved I am.

Thanks everyone for your support x