Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Emitophobia  (Read 56265 times)

viv

Re: Emitophobia
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:53 PM »

We had a little festival in our town this past week which includes a fun fair. I have walked past it twice and did not take the long route. I am always worried that one of the rides will make someone sick in front of me. No one was and I felt really pleased with myself......Sad really.

There was also a continental food market and although I love to look around I will not buy anything. All the food is uncovered and there were so many flies and wasps around. Straight from the sea shore to the pastries and then me.....no thanks. I did buy some Stornaway Black Pudding (yum) from a chiller cabinet already packaged and a nice scarf from a very attractive French man  ::)

I look on this as little steps...but if I am honest its two steps forward and three back  :(

Honeyb
x

Stella_al

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »

Well done Honeybun  :banana:

Its still two steps forward + going in the right direction  ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »

My neighbours went to France for 2 weeks and came across a street market; so they bought various un-cooked meats which they then put onto the communal BarBQ - along with various salads etc., it took ages for the meats/chicken to be cooked so they ate lots of chips ........ then wondered why some had the 'runs'.  I would have avoided that type of cooking, it would never have crossed my mind to join in  ::)

Karen - you are SO right ! I could write a book about my sessions and the lack of empathy and coping ideas .........

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »

Mine got sick at a BarBQ - red wine and not quite cooked meat  >:(.  I had to help him walk home, about 2 miles; to this day he doesn't remember.  I knew he had re-aquainted himself with the evening jollity when he walked outdoors chewing cardomon seeds.  I was outdoors on the patio trying to watch the fish and trying not to cry and trying not to wail with fear.  He never did it again.  I told him then that any more evenings like that and the locks would be changed with him on the outside.

You did SO well todrive him back:  :medal: I would have made him walk 'cos sure as Hell I wouldn't have kept my eye on the road  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »

Oh NO I would have been turning round to make sure he was using the bucket and not the floor!  :beat: ........

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

TODAY: Himself and I went into the local town.  Last night I didn't take my meds ......... so was feeling a little 'off' this morning but Pressed On.  However, when we got into a coffee shop the loo was in use: by a foreign lady who kept going in and out but because of her nationality I couldn't tell whehter she was paler than she ought to be.  SO brain begins to do over-time: what if she's eaten something that doesn't agree with her, what if the water has upset her, what if she's had too much alcohol ......... couldn't get my head round that she migth have her period and be checking, that was too simple.  Even when Himself told me "it's nothign to do with us, you don't have to clear up" my stomcah was still in a knot.

Eventually I managed to eat the bun and drink my very good cup of tea but even now ............  :'(  Hey ho, at least I remained in-situ  :whist:

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »

:thankyou:

charliegirl

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »

Hi all, thought I would tell my tale about emetophobia, it all started in childhood same as alot of ladies, I hated my sister being sick and my mum used to make fun of me, then when i was eleven someone was sick in assembley which gave me a bad panic attack, then i was sick in class later. For years i was a wreck in assembly and my mum was not understanding at all. I wish somebody would have explained it to me and told me I was not alone. When my kids were sick I used to feel guilty as I could be in the same room to help them.I would really like to overcome it.It helps to know quite a few others are the same.
charliegirlx

charliegirl

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »

That should say couldnt be in the same room.

viv

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 06:24:04 PM »

There are a lot of us here that feel the same.

My daughter has a bit of it too and the fault is all mine as she has seen my reaction over the years. So I add guilt to the other emotions as well.  :-\

You will get support and understanding here as quite a few of our ladies are the same.

At least I now I know I am not totally odd and others suffer too.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 09:10:46 PM »

Oh Charliegirl I could have written most of your post.  You weren't at the same Primary School when the girl was sick ........ she stood at the front and I remember it all so vividly.  Never mind staying in the same room, when my sister was poorly I ran down the road in my nightie  :o and Mum shouted when she eventually found me "as if I don't have enough to worry about"  :-\  ..........  I wonder how common this phobia is .........

viv

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

Its one that people dont own up to.

I will now,, but I find myself down playing it. I usually say I have a bit of a sickness phobia, instead of....if you ask me to be near anyone who is even feeling a bit off I will have the screaming ab dabs  ;D

If you did not laugh you would cry.....Oh and I have done that too.

Honeyb
x

san

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »

Me too. Boy at school (primary)sitting next to me threw up on his desk. That was the start for me. Then I got whooping cough and that caused sickness. Didn't go to school for about 4 months because I was worried I'd be ill.
OH use to deal with DD when she was small.
I've only got to think it wll happen to someone near me and I flip.

Even  now I would rather cut off my head than be sick.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:13:27 PM by san »

Taz2

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »

I'm ok with sickness if it is not "catching". When the boys were growing up and would come home the worse for wear I had no problem sitting with them on the bathroom floor for hours holding their heads up etc. When my middle son had appendicitis the other week he had what we thought was a tummy bug the week before. He phoned me in the early hours of the morning to tell me he had really bad stomach pains and had been violently sick and my first thought was "Oh please don't ask me to come over". Not very  motherly. I have always wondered whether I would ever let them down but when push comes to shove I have always  managed to overcome my inner feelings and deal with it. The worst time for me was when they were all small and the bug would go round the school - they were in three different schools - the bug hit at three different times - they all went down with it each time and I would lay in bed waiting for the next one to get it. I am sure that's why I only had three!

I think mine started when I threw up half way through Domestic Science just as the teacher was starting the Apple Charlotte. It still makes me feel queasy - even typing the word!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

:beaurk:  bit too much information  :o  ......... that's why I avoided childbirth full stop.  Made my mind up at age 8 not to have any.  During a particularly bad upset ............

I don't tell anyone because I know they will begin watching my reactions to everything and everyone ........ been out today with no problems at all  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15