News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 86003 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Noise
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »

CLKD are you sure you don't live on the other side of my neighbours?! Our neighbour always has to have a project on the go, but after a new roof, extension, windows, porch, internal renovations, summerhouse........what else can he do? Some of it involves noise and some of the bigger projects involved blocking us in by builders and deliveries, without warning.

Cazikins

« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

We are so lucky with our neighbours.  :)
One side have been our friends for over 25 years, 15 years ago a house came up for sale next to them & we were looking for somewhere to move to, so we bought it.
The other side we chat to over the fence, they give my dog treats but not too keen on DIY or gardening oh & no kids YAY RESULT.  :parti: :parti:

Elizabethrose

« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »

The bane of our lives is builders, it's a constant round here!

Couples reach an age, downsize, their property is sold to couples in their 40s. They move in, buy a dog, dog barks all day, kids revelling in the larger garden slam footballs, cricket balls or rugby balls constantly. Then they move out because it's far too inconvenient for them to live in the properties whilst building work is going on, and the builders start. Unsupervised builders, noise 6 days a week, a constant battle with the neighbours insisting they work within controlled hours, regularly ringing environmental health.

Do I sound cross? A house opposite are just finishing after 11 months of building work and the scaffolding had just gone up on two houses directly behind now. Kill me! We haven't had a summer without building noise for about 15 years. I kid you not!!

Ju Ju

« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »

My parents had the neighbours from hell for many years in a quiet owner occupied cul-de-sac. The house, 2 bedrooms and a box room, detached, was divided into bedsits. Tenants came and went with the common denominator, noise day and night from music, arguments, shouting, alcohol, drugs. The police were regular visitors. Last year, the house was shut down by the police for 3 months, related to drug dealing offences, and the house was sold to the builder who lives opposite. So my parents have had several more months of noise as the house was sorted out, but now the house is nearly finished (it was in a terrible state). I don't know if it will be sold or rented out, but now, fingers crossed, they will get some nice neighbours. Hopefully, they will be able to sit in the garden, without the noise, cigarette and cannabis smoke drifting over the wall. The thought before was that if I had to sell my parents house, it wouldn't have sold. Now I don't have that worry.

We are surrounded by dogs that bark as we back onto a path that is frequented by dogs taking their owners for a walk and resident dogs start a choir of barking whenever anyone goes by.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »

...... and of course, once the dogs bark at people who walk away, the dog has achieved what it set out to do! until the next set of walkers wanders by  >:(

The neighbour in question is at it on another part of the property ...... which I am sure is illegal alterations. 

CLKD

« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »

At least the lawn mowers have stopped but now it is kids screaming - why don't parents  :kick:  :whip: oh now a young lad is about with his very old motor 'bike'  >:(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:05:05 AM by CLKD »

Annie0710

« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »

We were on the IOW to Southampton ferry this morning and we found a great front window row to sit on...... great we thought, but a whole load of boys about 12 came barging in around us, turns out 3 guys were in charge of the child cricket team.  I'm minding my own business watching all the yachts and one of the little sods donks me right on top of my head !!! I was shocked then really pee'd off thinking he'd done it on purpose but OH said they were running across the seats and slipped and his hand came down on my head.....of all the people sitting in our row it's yours truly that gets hit, no apology nothing but the guy in charge told them to sit down quietly.  As they were leaving I'm sure I heard a quiet apology

I'm smiling writing it now but at the time I was fuming !

CLKD

« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »

Reminds me of a quiet lunch out with Himself and my Mum a few years ago: there was a party of small boys and a few girls, a private room had been booked but the kids spilled out into the cafe we were sitting in.  Words Were Said  ;D "Do your parents, who have booked that very expensive room for you to play in, know you are out?"  the child continued to twirl round close by us, knocking into empty chairs until I stood up, "Where *is* your parent?" ....... he scurried off.  I WILL NOT put up with other peoples' children. [nor drunk adults].

I expect the lads were really excited but even so - were you going or returning?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:05:17 AM by CLKD »

Mbrown001

« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2017, 08:27:45 PM »

Oh dear.... :-\

I have to say I like the sound of kids playing about outside.

My two were out constantly as were umpteen others on our street.  They all ran in and out of various houses and were welcomed.

I just like kids. Be it in a supermarket or cafe or hotel.

If you expect children to sit like little angels then you have no memory as to what it was like when you were a child. We didn't so why should they.
I'm more inclined to engage than complain. I've seen many a mother look grateful for an adult being understanding.

Drunk adults don't bother me that much either unless they look as if they are about to throw up.

You have more chance of that with kids though  ::)  ;D

My son had a mini dirt  bike when he was young and scooted up and down the hills behind us.
Oh dear....I'm one of the parents that others would complain about whose kids ran about in the summer....I liked them to get the fresh air....oh and be children  ::)

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »

We had to sit like angels  :D  ::) ...... were also allowed to play appropriately but not to annoy others.  We climbed trees.  Had a sand-pit, bikes, trikes, scooters .........

It's constant traffic this evening, most doing over 30mph  >:(.  Birds have gone to bed.  Waiting for the hogs ;-)

Annie0710

« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »

We were returning from 4 days in IOW

I was one of four kids in our family so behaviour was important.  We were allowed to let off steam but only at appropriate times/places.  We spent every summer driving to Spain camping in the summer and we knew our boundaries, our parents were great and good fun but very strict on manners and behaviour.  When we were driving to relatives houses our parents used to give us the talk about having 6 extra people for the day is a big deal to most people so please behave and play when invited to.

I had 3 kids and I carried that on, I chose to have my kids so it wasn't fair for them to encroach in others space if not invited.  Like I was they were brought up to sit on floors at others houses, take a little food then go back for more if all eaten instead of pigging out the plate and leaving less for others etc

Mbrown001

« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »

I could take my two anywhere in the certain knowledge they would behave and we never disturbed others in hotels or cafes. I took little games or toys to keep them entertained. Manners were taught.

However. I think kids need to let off steam especially in the good weather and to hear children playing out is great. Too many sit inside on computer games.
When I was little we were out from dawn till dusk and home for food.
It was a freedom that our children don't get these days.

Children sitting quietly for long periods of time....well it's not what they do...but as long as it's appropriate then it's good with me.

When my kids were young they grew up in a quiet street with lots of other children of the same age. I guess our street would have been a nightmare for some but it was a great place to play. Next to fields and a stream with loads of pals. You could barely drive in the summer for bikes and kids and.....fun.

Happy days.

Mrs Brown

Mbrown001

« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »

Oh I agree. My two were never like that but they did have a lot of outdoor freedom.

I hate the parents that pretend it's not happening...but it's not the kids fault as they don't know any better.

Mrs Brown

Annie0710

« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »

Yeah my 3 were brought up on a horseshoe street, I lived one end, my friend in the middle and another friend the other end so all 3 of us were 'lookouts', we had lots of families with kids so they were always out, but we also had some bungalows for elderly people but they were great too and would sit out the front on deckchairs watching  the kids play

CLKD

« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »

I didn't have many friends to play with  :-\ as our village was widely spread, Dad made various toys and maintained trikes etc., we went for long walks in the woods where he showed us wild-life, including red squirrels and roe deer  :).  We ran in the sand dunes at Wells and along the beach on the Norfolk Coast ....... if we went visiting friends of theirs Mum packed lots of toys/books to keep us quiet  ::)

This morning the air is full of sparrows chirping  :D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20