Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Low Red Blood Cells and high Iron  (Read 1367 times)

Emzib0b

Low Red Blood Cells and high Iron
« on: July 20, 2023, 02:21:40 PM »

My red blood cell count and heamatocrit have always been slightly low. They’ve been like that for the 15 years I’ve been registered at my GP surgery (in theory it could be longer). I was once told by a GP it was because I had heavy periods. Iron, B12 and Folate have always been normal. Haemoglobin has either at the low end of normal or occasionally slightly low.

Periods have been light for nearly 5 years, started peri 3 years ago and had quite a few long and skipped cycles. I’ve been on HRT 15 months. I don’t always have a withdrawal bleed each month - I don’t think my lining always builds up enough.

My GP has repeated my blood tests and the results are odd. RBCs and Haematocrit are still low, but I now have high Iron! I don’t take any iron supplements, or any other supplements containing iron, and I’ve been a vegetarian for about 15 years.

I was wondering if anyone else has had unusual results like this in peri/menopause? My GP has ordered some more tests but the first appointment is 2 weeks away.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Low Red Blood Cells and high Iron
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 02:37:18 PM »

Do U mean that the 1st appt to have the blood taken is 2 weeks away ?  :-\

Emzib0b

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »

Sorry, I didn’t write that very well! That’s right, the first blood test appointment they had was in a fortnight’s time.

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 06:44:41 PM »

Maybe ask your GP to test for Haemochromotosis? I believe it is a genetic condition requiring a specific test. My SIL has this. She has too much iron in her blood and has to do blood-letting regularly since she became menopausal as no longer has a bleed to rid the body of excess iron, which can cause organ damage. Hopefully it isnt this but once its diagnosed it can be managed.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 07:31:15 PM »

That was my first thought too Dotty.

Taz x

Emzib0b

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 12:26:57 PM »

Maybe ask your GP to test for Haemochromotosis? I believe it is a genetic condition requiring a specific test. My SIL has this. She has too much iron in her blood and has to do blood-letting regularly since she became menopausal as no longer has a bleed to rid the body of excess iron, which can cause organ damage. Hopefully it isnt this but once its diagnosed it can be managed.

Thanks Dotty,

I’ll find out what tests are being done next. I’ve just finished my Utrogestan for the month so hopefully I’ll have a bleed soon and that will lower my iron a little.

I let the surgery know I started Androfeme three weeks ago. I had a message from the GP to inform me that she’d done some research and the testosterone could be the cause of the high iron level (but I still need to go ahead with the blood test).

DottyD68

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 05:11:06 PM »

I dont know anything about Trstosterone but it sounds like the GP is in the case and will get to the bottom of it soon.
Take care X