Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil and ostrogel  (Read 489 times)

Jan1234

Mirena coil and ostrogel
« on: April 23, 2024, 05:56:46 PM »

Hi i finally gave in and had a mirena coil fitted 8 days ago so I'm using 2 pumps of oestrogel as well, the last 2 days my breasts are really sore, I thought sore breasts are usually through to much estrogen but could it be the progrestone that's causing this as I feel as if I need to add more estrogen as my joints are really painful and also I had no info given to me after coil was fitted about checking the strings so had a read up and it states to check regular especially for the first 3 months I'm stressing like hell now as I've been checking the last 3 days and I def can't feel the stings of the coil have I got anyrhing to worry about I feel stupid ringing gp so soon after having it done any thoughts please

sheila99

Re: Mirena coil and ostrogel
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 09:56:32 AM »

I get sore boobs from progesterone but if it affected you like this I think you'd probably already know about it. I've always had it with my own progesterone on the second half of my cycle. If you can't feel the strings you could ask if a nurse could check it for you. In theory you shouldn't need more oestrogen but it mught be worth to see if it helps. Have you been on your current dose for a while or is it all new?

Dazedandconfused

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 10:26:41 AM »

Hi Jan1234

Sorry, long post but hopefully some of it might be useful.

I had a Mirena fitted in November last year (due to bleeding) and had been on oestrogel and utrogestan since October 2022.  I had tender boobs before the Mirena but when I stopped HRT for a month (my choice due to tests/scans re bleeding) they stopped hurting.  The menopause nurse said this pointed very strongly to it being hormonal.

I started up again on two pumps of gel after getting the all clear and having the Mirena fitted (I also had a routine mammogram and breast check by the doctor so was happy that there was nothing else going on).  Almost straight away on restarting I got very tender boobs again. 

Thanks to the input of the lovely ladies on here it seemed possible that I might have jumped back in on two pumps a bit too quickly after a month off, so I reduced down to 1 pump and then built it up again more slowly.  This did reduce the tenderness after about a month. 

So now I'm two months in to being back on two pumps and two months in to taking Starflower oil.  I still have one slightly tender boob but it's just a twinge now and again. I'm not sure if that's the Starflower oil or just things settling down.

So, long and short, I think for me it's the estrogen that causes it.  Did you start straight on the two pumps having not been on that before?  If so, maybe you need to reduce and build back up like I had to.  I know that's hard if you feel you need more but maybe someone else on here can offer some help with that.

Re the strings, the nurse will check for you if you ask.  I was told not to worry if I couldn't feel them as they would do this on my six weekly check up anyway to make sure all was okay.  Also don't worry about ringing up if you want, they won't mind.

It's a bloomin' nightmare trying to balance everything!  Hope things start to get sorted soon :tulips2:

Jan1234

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 11:11:06 AM »

Thanks both I was on kliofem 2mg/1mg before I had the coil fitted that's why I went straight to 2 pumps of gel my joints are killing me didn't have that until I changed over I also had the mirena cause of bleeding all the time since mirena was put in I have only bled on the day it was fitted. It's my second week since I had the mirena coil and started the gel

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 01:26:57 PM »

I may be wrong but isn't 2mg oral equivalent to 100mcg patch or 4 pumps oestrogel?

Jan1234

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 01:48:21 PM »

Sheila99 I did ask on here and was told 2 pumps are equivalent to 2mg of gel I will have to double check that's why I started off on that cause it's what I been on before

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 05:52:20 PM »

Hi 2mg is equivalent to 2 pumps of Oestrogel.

The equivalent doses are in this document :
https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/03-BMS-TfC-HRT-Practical-Prescribing-NOV2022-A.pdf

Jan1234

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 06:10:18 PM »

Dotty thanks I thought it was but some are saying different on here so had me wondering if I was wrong because all my aches and pains been awful since I been on the gel I've started 2 and half pumps now to see if that will help