Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Trying to find something that works  (Read 2315 times)

KathrynR

• First Flush
Trying to find something that works
« on: January 03, 2024, 08:52:42 PM »

Hello, just joined this forum today via advice of gp.  Hoping to get some help/advice?

I was diagnosed with early menopause at age 39 (now 42). Put straight on hrt (femoston) which I did not get on with at all. The constant highs and lows 2 weeks at a time were awful. I requested the pill which helped a lot for 2 years and I felt amazing.  I was allowed to only stop every 3 months for a withdrawal bleed which was manageable despite that week all symptoms returning.

A few months ago my symptoms started coming back and I went to gp who advised (because I still want the contraception) the mini pill, oestrogel and utrogestan for the second two weeks of my cycle. My moods seem to be getting worse, I'm still dry and sore down below (have oestrogen pessaries which make no difference) and I'm having a bleed every week.

Gp said give it 3 months but I'm struggling already. It's been 6 weeks and I feel worse not better.

Has anyone had similar experience and can I expect this to settle and just bear  with it?

The coil was also suggested which I personally do no want so is not an option.  I don't want to keep changing hrt because it'll just keep messing me up more but I'm struggling with the moods more than anything.  Does it get better? The pill was amazing but the gp didn't seem keen on me being on that unfortunately.

Sorry for the rant and appreciate any advice.  Thanks

discogirl

Re: Trying to find something that works
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 07:59:00 AM »

Hi KathrynR

When I was on hrt I used oestrogel and utro. i couldnt take utro even vaginally, my moods were awful on it.

I ended up using cyclogest pessaries 200mg which I seemed to tolerate better than the utro.

I presume you can use it with the mini pill.

Sorry I can't be of any further help but Im sure more knowledgable ladies will be along with some help x

KathrynR

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 05:59:11 PM »

Hi discogirl. Thanks for the reply.
I know a lot of this is trial and error but I'm hoping something will eventually work. The moods are the worst part for me.
Don't know if it's just me getting used to the change of hormones or if nothing will improve.  Gp said give it 3 months but was hoping by now it would be helping. 
If there are things that work for others I can always see if it's an option for me if this doesn't work x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 11:14:02 PM »

The combination of bcp and hrt seems to be problematic for many people. If a combined pill no longer keeps your symptoms under control but you still want hormonal bcp I think your options are limited. A mirena is a common solution but if you don't want that you can also use 2x POP for the progestin part of hrt alongside an oestrogen only patch, gel or spray.
There are many posts on VA that you can find with the search function. If you don't find an answer there you could start a new post. You should be able to control it with the right local oestrogen so you might need more or to repeat the loading dose. It's something I don't know much about bur there are many people on here who do.