Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bone health  (Read 8849 times)

robotwars

Bone health
« on: August 25, 2023, 08:20:35 AM »

Hi 👋 I’ve stopped taking hrt due to side effects after many years of trying, I’m still using vagifem and ovestin cream, but now I’m wondering if I need to take a supplement for my bone health, does anyone else take anything, just not sure what to get?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bone health
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 08:59:22 AM »

Morning.  How is your exercise regime?   Regular brisk walking: 10. mins daily or more often at weekends : helps impact the long bones so that they regenerate.  Same with the jaw, the more teeth that we own, the better jaw health will be maintained.  Because when we talk, eat etc., it is exercise.

Skipping anyone  :o  ::).  Eating protein, lots of fruits and veg; tinned, frozen or fresh; also helps bone strength.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 09:51:17 AM »

Michael Mosely has commented that prunes and exercise can help improve bone density.  See link below
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/dr-michael-mosley-says-bones-27467585

orrla

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 11:15:54 AM »

Calcium! + vit D3.

I get theiCal-D3 1000mg / day prescribed for, despite HRT from 45, I developed Osteopenia, T= -1.8..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 02:36:40 PM by orrla »

Ermin2trude

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 03:43:32 PM »

Research and studies on people with osteoporosis etc show they all have low levels of magnesium and zinc in common. It is now recommended to increase your magnesium and zinc intake to prevent bone issues and not necessarily calcium, although you can throw that in for good measure.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »

Tnx.  We R a mine of info on here ! 

orrla

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 03:52:04 PM »

😯 ..so, why my GP + osteo nurse who did DXA scan prescribed Calcium + D3 to me?

Why NHS guidance is wrong?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 03:54:43 PM by orrla »

Aprilflower

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 03:56:08 PM »

GPs are often behind the loop.  Many, but not all, wait for advisories from whoever.  If you find a good holistic GP, hang on to them.

Aprilflower

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 03:58:45 PM »

Research and studies on people with osteoporosis etc show they all have low levels of magnesium and zinc in common. It is now recommended to increase your magnesium and zinc intake to prevent bone issues and not necessarily calcium, although you can throw that in for good measure.

I think if you include a fair amount of dairy foods, in your diet, it's better than supplements anyway.  I did read somewhere that calcium tablets can cause gallbladder stones.

orrla

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 04:27:30 PM »

yeah, sounds like my GP all right..

But, seriously, it's always good to check who is it who claims what!  ...so, these studies that claim that magnesium and zink..were by whom?

Aprilflower

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 04:33:17 PM »

yeah, sounds like my GP all right..

But, seriously, it's always good to check who is it who claims what!  ...so, these studies that claim that magnesium and zink..were by whom?

I found this one.  It does include calcium also.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4469220/

Ermin2trude

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 04:55:11 PM »

I think if you include a fair amount of dairy foods, in your diet, it's better than supplements anyway.  I did read somewhere that calcium tablets can cause gallbladder stones.
[/quote]

Research has shown that the more animal proteins we consume, the more calcium we excrete through our urine. Ironically, countries that have the highest calcium intake through animal proteins, also have the highest rate of hip fractures. Consuming calcium through plant proteins, the  loss of calcium in urine is 50% lower.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 04:56:44 PM by Ermin2trude »

Aprilflower

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 05:12:35 PM »

Scandinavian countries and northern Europe have the highest rate of hip fractures.  This fits with low vitamin D levels, which is vital to absorb calcium. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:17:24 PM by Aprilflower »

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 05:14:28 PM »

The recommended dose of Adcal D3 tablets used to be 2 a day. About 10 ish years ago that was dropped to 1 a day - I think that was down to the gallbladder stones issue.

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 05:23:21 PM »

Must admit I'm not convinced as to the efficacy of Calcium and D3 for bones. I had been prescribed Adcal years ago by a Neurologist who felt it would have a beneficial effect on MS/immune system. I still ended up with osteoporosis!
Pages: [1] 2 3