Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bone health  (Read 8847 times)

Ermin2trude

Re: Bone health
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2023, 05:28:11 PM »

Scandinavian countries and northern Europe have the highest rate of hip fractures.  This fits with low vitamin D levels, which is vital to absorb calcium.

Here’s one of the studies relating to calcium and protein intake that I was referring to above.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=0dbe02a07098a7dd3dad8582f12e6f0be304ca70

I agree that vitamin D is important.

Aprilflower

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2023, 05:29:59 PM »

Limpy, do you think there is a genetic element, in who gets it?

I'm inclined to think most ailments are the result of unfortunate combinations of factors.

orrla

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 06:03:23 PM »

yes, genetics play a big role, that's why I decided on HRT as, at that time, in year 2000, my dr claimed it will protect me against Osteoporosis with all else just an experiment... As my grand mother spent her last five years in bed, for her bones were so badly broken after fall, I went for it.

Now I have Ostopenia.. Ok, it's not fully blown condition but I was shocked with this diagnosis. ..but, apparently, one in two women develop Osteoporosis...and one in five man..so ..we do not know how quickly it progress, nor if eating good stuff improves it at all...for they do not scan just to check..Most cases are diagnosed AFTER fractures!

Aprilflower

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2023, 06:36:25 PM »

Scandinavian countries and northern Europe have the highest rate of hip fractures.  This fits with low vitamin D levels, which is vital to absorb calcium.

Here’s one of the studies relating to calcium and protein intake that I was referring to above.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=0dbe02a07098a7dd3dad8582f12e6f0be304ca70

I agree that vitamin D is important.

Pretty old paper orria.  Also lot's of contradictory information so not sure what outcome they were after.

The part about elderly Inuits (Eskimo has not been used for a many years) is odd.  Firstly they talk about animal protein but that is unlikely to be dairy.  It would be meat.  Dairy consumption has no history in the Artic and I'm pretty sure Inuit people would be lactose intolerant.  Then they talk about Yugoslavia 🤔, with a high dairy consumption and low fractures.  A bit muddled.

orrla

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2023, 06:53:32 PM »

it wasn't my post!

I make a point of reading only the latest from reliable sources.

About D3 being vital... One gets it from Sun but for it to get into system it must get through the top of one's head. That's why Northerners are D3 deficient, because that's not for lack of sunshine but for an angle at which it shines there..straight in your face, mostly.

Hence, regular Mediterranean holidays make sense!   This, or vit D3 supplement !
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 02:05:50 PM by orrla »

Aprilflower

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2023, 07:01:51 PM »

Ah okay, sorry.🫢

orrla

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2023, 07:05:56 PM »

it's ok 😉

Limpy, the clue might be in 'years ago'. Todays products are more efficient.. I choose to believe, at least..

robotwars

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2023, 09:35:38 PM »

Wow thanks for all your replies!!!

Limpy

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2023, 10:44:00 AM »

Limpy, do you think there is a genetic element, in who gets it?

I'm inclined to think most ailments are the result of unfortunate combinations of factors.

Difficult to tell Aprilflower I am the only one in my family who has it. As you say I think it's just the luck of the draw.

jaypo

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2023, 10:57:38 AM »

I have osteopenia and was given the calcium + vit d to take but after doing LOTS of research, I have stopped taking them,build of of unwanted calcium can be dangerous,I mean,GPs give us these supplements without even knowing if we are indeed deficient in them,so I now only take vit d + k ,who knew vitamins could be dangerous,I eat plenty calcium rich foods,do weight bearing exercises and don't take HRT.There's absolutely no osteoporosis in my family just arthritis,which I also have.....oh the joys  ???

Aprilflower

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »

Sounds sensible.

I have read it's the calcium you consume in your teens, which is the most beneficial.  That boats well and truly sailed 😂

jaypo

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2023, 04:37:12 PM »

Yep,aprilflower,it's sailed round the world a few times too  ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:00:47 PM by jaypo »

Limpy

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2023, 10:34:46 AM »

I have osteopenia and was given the calcium + vit d to take but after doing LOTS of research, I have stopped taking them,build of of unwanted calcium can be dangerous,I mean,GPs give us these supplements without even knowing if we are indeed deficient in them,so I now only take vit d + k ,who knew vitamins could be dangerous,I eat plenty calcium rich foods,do weight bearing exercises and don't take HRT.There's absolutely no osteoporosis in my family just arthritis,which I also have.....oh the joys  ???
Funnily enough I'd stopped taking the Adcal last year for the same reason as you. I was taking a a bone complex supplement with had some calacium but also D3, K2. I ended up with a fractured foot (2nd metatarsal) in February just gone. Oh I am also using Denosumab, that has reduced osteopososis to osteopenia but I've been on the stuff for 10 years. Would like to stop it.

jaypo

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2023, 12:04:23 PM »

I've never heard of that (denosumab) Limpy,is it prescription only? I am worried about getting osteoporosis but also worried about heart issues & kidney stones down to the calcium build up  :-\

Limpy

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2023, 01:54:14 PM »

I've never heard of that (denosumab) Limpy,is it prescription only? I am worried about getting osteoporosis but also worried about heart issues & kidney stones down to the calcium build up  :-\
It is actually a twice yearly injection Jaypo, so yes definitely prescription only. I was eventually prescribed it as after I had osteoporosis diagnosed and couldn't tolerate Alendronic Acid in any of it's forms. I had one try of a Zolendronic Acid (once a  year transfusion) that caused problems as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3