Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Skin lesion  (Read 1352 times)

groundhog

Skin lesion
« on: August 11, 2023, 07:36:11 PM »

Hi all,
Abiut 6 months ago I had a lesion removed from my ear. No one was concerned it was removed as a precaution. I heard nothing.  Those that know me will know I have loads of health problems following a hysterectomy - 2 stoma bags and a horrible eye problem, I also suffer from PTSD, long long story,
Today out of the blue I had a letter saying the lesion was

Intra epidermal carcinoma in situ - then it said it was a pre cancerous lesion.

As usual I freaked out,  anyway had any experience of this please. I am barely coping with my other health issues, just come out hospital following a bleed of my fistula, to this letter which came as a shock x

Thanks ladies

Flossieteacake

Re: Skin lesion
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 07:52:57 PM »

I do not have any experience of this but just wanted to say I am sorry. I understand how distressing this letter must be for you. It is even worse to get such a letter on the weekend so you cannot call the DR to talk about it.

I am sure you will have somebody knowledgeable reply soon but I just wanted to let you know I read your post.

DottyD68

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 07:56:08 PM »

Hi ground hog,

I don't have experience of this but I can imagine your distress at receiving this letter out of the blue. I personally would be horrified, BUT, from an "uninvolved" perspective I would say a) it has been removed and b) it is "pre"-cancerous and I would take comfort from both those facts.

Sending you best wishes X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 09:30:34 AM »

Morning. I am disgusted!  Have U not been offered a follow-up appt. to check the op site?  6 months is far too long to be told any results from investigative surgical intervention.  Did U ring at all to query after your op.?

I suggest that on Monday morning you ring the Dept who did the op to find out exactly why it has taken 6 months to let you know !!! I would be letting my GP Surgery know and asking whether they have received a copy of this Report.

This isn't appropriate - a letter to your local MP and health minister too.  How is the op site?  Any itching, redness, swelling ..........

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 05:48:02 PM »

I know CLKD but I’ve spent 6 months fighting for answers and I’m just worn out to be honest,  fed up of fighting, writing letters , getting nowhere.
I was just hoping some others had had this as I thought it was quite common x

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 05:56:04 PM »

Hello Groundhog

I fully understand how exhausting it can be having to chase people all the time. Particularly when you have so many health issues going on.

Do you have any trusted people about you who can help you begin to find out what exactly is going on? I know there are privacy issues at stake, but maybe if someone can call on your behalf and the medical team can get your permission to speak with that person? Just to have someone shoulder some of the frustrating endless betting for answers.

You should not have to be in this situation, I do feel for you.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 05:59:41 PM »

My husband is Australian and says it is very common over there to have pre-cancerous lesions removed, especially from areas which catch the sun easily like ears. Easy to say I know, but pre cancerous means it has been caught and removed before it has become cancerous. It is now gone! Plus it was localised to the ear. He said that in Australia it is so common that it is done in a GP's surgery, in and out within about 20 minutes.
I still think you should call and request a follow up so you can ask questions as this may make you feel better.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 06:26:31 PM »

Tnx Penguin

groundhog

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 11:26:03 PM »

My husband is Australian and says it is very common over there to have pre-cancerous lesions removed, especially from areas which catch the sun easily like ears. Easy to say I know, but pre cancerous means it has been caught and removed before it has become cancerous. It is now gone! Plus it was localised to the ear. He said that in Australia it is so common that it is done in a GP's surgery, in and out within about 20 minutes.
I still think you should call and request a follow up so you can ask questions as this may make you feel better.

Thank you . I know I wouldn’t react like this if I wasn’t so damaged from past events x

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2023, 02:01:58 AM »

Oh Groundhog, hugs, I totally get this sort of thing based on past events too.

Pre cancerous means it's not cancer.  You already know that but I think it helps to hear it.  It's not cancer, it may not have become cancer, it had changes that could have evolved that way over time but were not at that stage. 

As I understand it, this truly means it has gone.  Even a lot of things that ARE cancer are truly gone if removed early enough, so something that's not cancer is definitely gone. 

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 08:11:49 AM »

Groundhog, I'm the same, reacting because of things in my past. Have you had any luck calling to arrange a follow up / get more info?