Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Triglycerides, liver enzymes, blood pressure and pains!  (Read 1340 times)

Rabbit1977

Triglycerides, liver enzymes, blood pressure and pains!
« on: August 15, 2023, 11:32:33 AM »

Hi all

A newbie to the forum here! I'm 46 and so now doubt heading towards menopause but don't know what symptoms can be put down to possible perimenopause and what symptoms could be bigger problems.

Asides from a large drop in iron levels back in 2016, I've been fairly healthy...then last Dec I got a chest infection I couldn't shake and A&E took my blood pressure and O2 levels and were clearly concerned as they were not prepared to let me go home until they had improved. Having done bloods and intravenous antibiotics, they let me go roughly 5 hours after I went in. Skip forward to March this year and I had occasional pain in my mid left abdomen (sort of stitch-like that lasts a min maybe and goes) and days of an ache in my top left arm which started to worry me in case it was a problem with my heart (Forewarning I have huge health anxieties!) - I ended up taking myself to the doctor and he did an ECG (said heart was fine) and blood pressure three times - the first reading was 167 over something, the second 132 and the third in between at 141 so he took the middle reading. Subsequently he had my bloods done which returned high triglycerides and high liver enzymes out of the blue! The doctor then sent me for repeat bloods and I ended up with a text message from the surgery saying that I would benefit from a dietary change. No further mention of blood pressure.

So I'm stumped really as I haven't really changed my diet any great deal over the past years although I admit it is not the healthiest! I don't smoke and don't drink alcohol. I have tried now to change my diet in line with the info sent through from my surgery from the NHS guidelines on cholesterol - I have cut out most dairy except the milk I have in my tea, sausages and ham  which I used to eat a fair bit of, changed white bread to multigrain, cut out chocolate, crisps, cakes and Pepsi Max. I have the occasional biscuit still. I have added in weekly oats, more fruit and more vegetables (potato, tomato, broccoli) and now won't eat anything without a green for saturated fats on the label.

Has anyone else suffered similar issues with triglycerides and liver enzymes with perimenopause/menopause? Thank you for reading.

Aprilflower

Re: Triglycerides, liver enzymes, blood pressure and pains!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 11:57:58 AM »

I have a degree of non alcoholic fatty liver.  The only advice my GP gave was to cut down on starchy carbs, bread, cakes pasta etc.,.  From what I've researched since changing to whole grain doesn't make much difference.

I try and have eggs or fruit and yoghurt for breakfast and keep bread and potatoes to a minimum for the other meals.

Oh, I forgot sugar.  That's really hard.☹️

Rabbit1977

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 02:18:20 PM »

I have a degree of non alcoholic fatty liver.  The only advice my GP gave was to cut down on starchy carbs, bread, cakes pasta etc.,.  From what I've researched since changing to whole grain doesn't make much difference.

I try and have eggs or fruit and yoghurt for breakfast and keep bread and potatoes to a minimum for the other meals.

Oh, I forgot sugar.  That's really hard.☹️

Sugar is hard for me to cut out too. I have read that eggs raise cholesterol but don't know how much truth there is to that. I'm at a point that I'm worried so much about the blood test results that I'm eating barely anything really.

Aprilflower

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 02:55:02 PM »

No, that's very old advice.  Eggs contain cholesterol but it is not produced or stored by our bodies, when eaten.

Sadelly

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 08:06:22 PM »

When I had my blood work done before starting on BHRT my triglycerides were also high. The nurse said to cut back on red meat, sweets and cheese. In a few short months mine went from 260’s down to 80’s with making those diet changes.