Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Progesterone only HRT  (Read 1192 times)

BoingBoing

Progesterone only HRT
« on: June 06, 2023, 08:00:27 AM »

Hi everyone

I’ve been experiencing major PMS systems this month, but they are still going on after my period has ended.

History - I was on HRT after having had Zoladex for three months but kept getting almighty migraines and neck and shoulder pain.

Having stopped zoladex, HRT was continued as I was still getting symptoms of menopause (neck and shoulder pain and sweats).

6 months later the gynaecologist decided to take me off HRT (having already increased and changed my HRT doses throughout) to see if this helped (the thought being I didn’t need HRT  as my Estrogen was too high).

One month later I had my first period (on time).

I experienced diarrhoea a few days before my period and insomnia then had chronic period pains throughout the three day cycle.

However, after my period ended I’ve now experiencing diarrhoea (particularly in the middle of the night), headaches, and I feel like crying all the time. Basically I feel broken!

I’m guessing this is some sort of Post-Menstrual Syndrome.

Has anyone else had this?

My gut instinct is that I may well have very low progesterone levels when compared to my Estrogen - hence a very short period and trouble sleeping.

Has anyone ever tried progesterone only HRT? If so, do you take this everyday or just for the two weeks of your cycle?

Any help would be much appreciated!

L

joziel

Re: Progesterone only HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 03:40:29 PM »

Yes, progesterone-only HRT is a much more common thing in the US. Check out the website and books of Lara Briden. You can search for her books on Amazon and google the website and ready the relevant articles.

I took progesterone only for a while when I had problems last year with Estrodot patches. You would take the utrogestan for the last 2 weeks of your cycle at 200mg, just as if you were also taking estrogen.

Your one problem might be finding a UK doctor to prescribe progesterone only because they won't know anything about how to do that as it's not commonly done here. (Unless you see a BHRT doctor.) So you might need to get a prescription for both and then ask the pharmacy for the progesterone only....

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 03:46:37 PM »

What about a progesterone only bcp? It might be easier to get it prescribed. I don't know enough about to comment though, if I never had to take progesterone again I'd be so happy.

joziel

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 06:42:47 PM »

BCP will be synthetic progestin, not natural progesterone. So it won't have the same calming effects...

AngelaH

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »

Hello,

At the age of 48 my level of progesterone dropped and I went through horrible experience of having symptoms like: severe depression, panic attacks, night sweats, muscles pain, sleepless nights and ended up with heavy non stop bleedings for several months. Mirena coil sorted out all those symptoms , they were completely gone. But I am not sure if this is relevant to you on not.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 02:02:49 PM »

So the Mirena helped all that? Not just the bleeding? Maybe it helped to have something oppose your oestrogen.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 02:04:23 PM »

Yes, progesterone-only HRT is a much more common thing in the US. Check out the website and books of Lara Briden. You can search for her books on Amazon and google the website and ready the relevant articles.

I took progesterone only for a while when I had problems last year with Estrodot patches. You would take the utrogestan for the last 2 weeks of your cycle at 200mg, just as if you were also taking estrogen.

Your one problem might be finding a UK doctor to prescribe progesterone only because they won't know anything about how to do that as it's not commonly done here. (Unless you see a BHRT doctor.) So you might need to get a prescription for both and then ask the pharmacy for the progesterone only....

How did you get on with the progesterone only joziel?

joziel

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 02:15:01 PM »

Well I never really had any probs with the progesterone/utrogestan part of HRT. My probs have all been with the estrogen which I'm incredibly sensitive to.

I felt that I was at least able to give myself some of my hormones during my months off estrogen at least, by continuing the utrogestan. I also have a history of mild endo and felt like the utrogestan would help suppress that too.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 02:58:13 PM »

I had similar issues with oestrogen due to mast cell issues. Trialled utrogestan continually 100mg and although it helped some issues firstly it didn’t make me tired AT ALL! Quite the opposite. It was quite stimulating at first. Then my cycle went to 47 days. Did you take continuously?

joziel

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 03:29:49 PM »

Originally I took it continuously with HRT, as I have a history of mild endo. But when I got break-through bleeding I tried it sequentially and my endo was fine, so have stayed with that. When I took it without HRT, I also took it sequentially trying to support my own body.

It has no effects on me that I can tell. Doesn't make me sleepy or tired either.

I seem to be on the right path now with oestrogel instead of patches. I don't know if I was absorbing the patches very well.

Scampidoodle

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »

How much do you take now? And do you start just before ovulation?

joziel

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 04:40:16 PM »

I'm just on regular HRT now, but I always took progesterone just like I did when I was on regular HRT when I was taking only that.

AngelaH

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »

So the Mirena helped all that? Not just the bleeding? Maybe it helped to have something oppose your oestrogen.
Yes, it did. I was enjoying my symptoms free life for about 2 years after that and then my oestrogen started dropping. My understanding is that Mirena helped to balance progesterone against oestrogen. My GP has no explanation at all.

BoingBoing

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2023, 05:07:23 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  Very helpful!

I can’t take the bcp as I have a history of blood clots but my gp has prescribed me with utrogestan only HRT.

However, since starting this I now have diarrhoea! 😩 which wakes me up at about 2am each night and lasts for a good hour.

Honestly, what ever next!

I have tried taking it orally and vaginally and both methods result in diarrhoea, chronic gut pain and nausea.

Anyone else experienced this?

I had the M coil about 10 years ago but had to have this removed as it sent me potty!

What a total nightmare!

Ermin2trude

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2023, 07:18:21 AM »

Hello,

I’m another one that has a body desperately in need of progesterone. I take 200 mg utrogestan continually.

When do you take the utrogestan, do you take it on an empty stomach or with food? Do you take it orally? How much do you take?
Pages: [1] 2