Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is this a sign I'm not absorbing oestrogel?  (Read 1370 times)

Bungo

Is this a sign I'm not absorbing oestrogel?
« on: November 30, 2022, 10:22:31 AM »

I know not meant to rely on bloods in peri as fluctuating. Am 52, on hrt since May ,late perimenopausal.  Got bloods done to see if absorbing  recently and oestrodial was only 171. Is this low ie no matter where my own levels were and where in my own cycle,would expect higher with oestrogel? One of main reasons I started was to  help bone density . Symptoms have improved ,albeit not 100%>

Dotty

Re: Is this a sign I'm not absorbing oestrogel?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 11:44:26 AM »

How many pumps of Oestrogel are you using ? x

Bungo

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »

Using 2 pumps

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 01:11:41 PM »

It’s probably not a case of not absorbing but a case that two pumps will only take you to that level. You may need more Oestrogel to increase your levels. x

Bungo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »

2 pumps is enough for most people though so must be a sign I'm not absorbing as much as others? Tbh the cost of the increase is a deterrent for me, can barely afford with the 2 pumps. And believe would need to increase utrogestan also under new guidelines. I might do more blood tests in a few months before making any changes.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »

2 pumps isn't enough for many people, I started on 2 in peri but am now on 4 (equivalent as changed to estradot). You could try a different type to see if you absorb better but you may find you don't. Can you get it on nhs prescription? If you can you will probably pay the same.

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 03:24:32 PM »

I use 4 pumps and up to 4 pumps is within licence.  You need the same amount of utrogestan up to 4 pumps.  x

Bungo

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 05:15:23 PM »

I was convinced the guidelines changed recently and needed additional utrogestan if on more than 2 pumps.  Am in Ireland so have to pay through the nose here. A bottle of gel can cost upto €50 per month depending on pharmacy

Bungo

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »

I didn't use any gel on morning of blood tests ( so last pimp would have been at noon the previous day). Does anyone know about blood tests , maybe the oestrogel had totally left my system so the blood test was only measuring the natural oestrodial my own body had produced? I can't get any clarity around blood tests when on hrt

KatyB

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 09:25:03 PM »

If you are ok with patches I'd consider trying them instead - you can get oestrogen only, bioidentical also. I found I didn't absorb gel at all well...

Pippa52

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 10:50:54 PM »

I don't absorb Oestrogel well at all (the newer version anyway).  Was on it for over 20 years with no problems but when theyslightly changed the formulation a year or so ago it has never worked for me since.  The most recent batches actually made me feel very unwell with high anxiety, fast heartbeats, insomnia and awful headaches.  My oestrogen blood level was 53 which apparently means that I might as well not be on HRT at all as it is so low.  3 days ago I was swopped onto Estradot patches and am already starting to feel human again.  I clearly was not absorbing the gel at all and there are several other ladies on here also having real problems with Oestrogel so something is going on.  I have reported my symptoms on the yellow card system xx

Marchlove

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 11:10:08 PM »

Well done Pippa, we should all  use the yellow card system more. Thank you for reminding us.

This is the only means available that relevant and informative data can be collected and analysis undertaken.

X