Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What’s the science behind all this?  (Read 698 times)

english rose blooms

What’s the science behind all this?
« on: November 21, 2022, 08:30:49 PM »

Hello everybody! I’m new, 38yo and recently begun treatment for early peri/severe PMS with Qlaira and I had a couple of silly questions that google doesn’t seem to be able to answer without continually referring me back to basic info that’s not enough detail 👎 if they’re stupid questions, definitely let me know. My brain is mush right now and sometimes I don’t know what I’m thinking. I hope I make sense though.

I’m basically trying to understand more about the science behind all this. I’m here to learn. I think understanding the science will make me feel like it’s a natural process and not just absolute torture.

So pms/menopause in general- I understand it’s the fluctuations in hormones and eventually deficiencies that cause the symptoms. Why is that? Are we essentially experiencing some form or hormone withdrawal and eventually we get used to it and feel ok? What’s gone wrong in my body? Has something suddenly or gradually switched off? I’ve seen things mentioned like ‘receptors’ in medical papers but don’t know what those mean.

Also, why is it such a long winded process finding the correct medication and then getting our bodies to be responsive to the medication? I don’t understand that if I’m deficient in a hormone, and I supplement, why does it take so long to feel the effect when a contraceptive pill can stop me getting pregnant within 7 days? It works for that so why does this kind of hormone control take much longer?

Is there a way to help/support/encourage my body to adapt to a new medication? I’ve quit caffeine and alcohol. I’m trying to supplement too but find magnesium and pre/probiotics actually make me feel worse.

Also what signs are there early on that a medication is working for me and what pit falls should I look out for? Can medication suddenly stop working further into menopause? Can my cycle still interfere? Can diet affect the results? Are all bodies able to absorb hormones through the gut (im on oral Atm) ? Are the first few months just generally awful no matter what? Do symptoms get worse- you just have to stick it out for 4-6 months? What should I be doing to make this early trial and error process of taking medication as effective and efficient as possible? What signs are there that a medication isn’t working for me? Is it all to do with how much you can tolerate side effects and there is no perfect solution?

Thanks for letting me purge every worry on my mind and I appreciate any answers. I’m going back to google to see what else I can find 🙏

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What’s the science behind all this?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 08:51:16 PM »

Hello everybody! I’m new, 38yo and recently begun treatment for early peri/severe PMS with Qlaira and I had a couple of silly questions that google doesn’t seem to be able to answer without continually referring me back to basic info that’s not enough detail 👎 if they’re stupid questions, definitely let me know. My brain is mush right now and sometimes I don’t know what I’m thinking. I hope I make sense though.
. STOP googling!  This Forum is the best starting place.  Browse round.  Make notes.

The Change is completely natural. Menopause - literally the last monthly bleed.  No more periods.  There are several years prior known as peri-menopause when ladies may notice symptoms: some become difficult to live with, i.e. Vaginal Atrophy, mood swings, hot sweats.  Due to a natural loss of oestrogen which may cause the body to become dry: inside and out; skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina, scalp, between the toes, as well as laxity of muscles which may cause aches and pains.  Oestrogen is our elasticity.

PMS - the symptoms felt 10-14 days prior to a period which should stop once the bleed begins.  Apart from occasional flushes as my periods waned, I've been lucky.   My GP noticed that my symptoms of urine infection type problems were due to vaginal atrophy.  Appropriate treatment has helped.

Also, why is it such a long winded process finding the correct medication and then getting our bodies to be responsive to the medication? I don’t understand that if I’m deficient in a hormone, and I supplement, why does it take so long to feel the effect when a contraceptive pill can stop me getting pregnant within 7 days? It works for that so why does this kind of hormone control take much longer?

Blood tests are reliably unreliable  ::).  Many do not require any HRT.  If a woman has her womb with natural periods, any HRT may well upset her own hormones.  The Pill is designed for a totally different reason.

Is there a way to help/support/encourage my body to adapt to a new medication? I’ve quit caffeine and alcohol. I’m trying to supplement too but find magnesium and pre/probiotics actually make me feel worse.

If a person has a well balanced diet, a good exercise regime, low intake of alcohol, the body will not require supplements.  In fact the kidneys will dilute anything not required into the urine. 

Which symptom would you like to ease?  Some find that oral HRT is OK, others prefer delivery via a patch.  If the womb has been removed progesterone: often the bothersome part of HRT: isn't required. It can take 3-6 months for the body to adjust which may if using HRT, need some hikes in dose. 

What should I be doing to make this early trial and error process of taking medication as effective and efficient as possible?
. nothing.  It is what it is.  It's not taking pain relief for a headache, the body takes up HRT differently.

What signs are there that a medication isn’t working for me?   Oh you will know ;-)

KatyB

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 09:49:35 PM »

Hi english rose blooms. I'd agree with CLKD in what she says - the menopause is not an illness, but it is highly individual, and that's because our natural hormones are a full orchestra, and the replacements are lacking some of the finer notes! Hence the trial and error - pretty well all of us on here will sympathise with how frustrating that can be. Also, you are probably at peri menopause which is even more of a roller coaster. I'd recommend the other bits of this site, in particular there's a good article here (under the About section of this site)
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf
Yes, the pill is a much, much higher dose and it overrides your own cycle, whereas HRT is trying to fill in the gaps at your stage. Your own cycle varies over time, so just when you think you've found the right regime for you it stops working so well....
Even though this doesn't seem to be particularly received opinion I think that women used to die before they got to living so long with menopausal symptoms....so its a backhanded side effect of longer lives!
Generally, you need to accept that its treat the symptoms you have - if something makes you feel worse for more than a couple of weeks i'd avoid it and try something else. If you feel a bit better on something you might need that but in a slightly higher dose.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 10:50:18 PM »

Sadly englishroseblooms has gone  :-\