Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Pre-diabetic diet  (Read 10765 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pre-diabetic diet
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2023, 07:45:05 PM »

I don't have spikes though, nor am I running to the tap.  Tnx I've looked at the site you suggest.

When I was anorexic I had surges of sudden nausea when the body lacked energy.  Now that I eat little and often they have stopped.  DH cooks from fresh every night ........ I try not to over eat too.  8st is 'about right'. 

Well done your partner.  Alcohol certainly puts weight on my DH  ::)

Taz2

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2023, 08:41:00 PM »

The blood test you had before being told you were borderline diabetic will have picked up  your blood sugar levels over the previous three months which shows how well your pancreas is working. If they are consistently higher then this means you have developed some insulin resistance. Reducing sugar is important to get your levels back down before diabetes develops. We didn't seem to have much knowledge of this when my mum developed Type 2 in 1970.

Thanks for the well done for my partner. I'll tell him. He's walking 8 miles a day now. Blood pressure's much better.

Taz x  :hug:

littleminnie

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2023, 07:36:14 AM »

Sugar is in so many foods, you don’t realise until you start analysing.  My OH won’t touch cakes, chocolate, ice cream or fresh fruit juices now.  Some fruit is a no-go too. 

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2023, 08:27:50 AM »

littleminnie - which fruits as these have a different type of natural sugar  :-\

Taz - when your partner gets as far as us, I'll give him a glass of water and a loo break ;-).  Lack of exercise is my problem - laziness!   I will have the bloods tested end of Aug beginning Sept to see if my gardening and extra walking makes a difference.

littleminnie

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2023, 12:07:24 PM »

Yes they are natural sugars but you still not have too much.   OH was told to only have 2 small fruits a day max.   No grapes, mango, certain melons. Can’t remember any more. No oranges but instead a small satsuma. 
He used to love freshly squeezed orange but he was told that is on the banned list.  ???

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2023, 12:11:51 PM »

Is avoiding natural sugars in fruit helping keep the blood sugar levels even littleminnie?  I can understand if the orange juice was in a cartoon but doing it himself ?  The Nurse told me at this point not to be too worried: little and often and up the exercise  ::)

littleminnie

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2023, 04:43:20 PM »

Yes his levels are even now.  Carbohydrate’s aren’t good either.  Have a google about sugar in fruit.
He is used to it now, been like this for a few years.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2023, 05:19:49 PM »

I have looked into sugars in fruit - the body converts it differently to that in processed foods.  Nurse said not to worry.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2023, 06:06:27 PM »

The GP prescribed:  VitD  3,2000IU daily.

I have bought Lloyds VitD 25ug [1000 iu].  So taking 1 x 3 should help.

littleminnie

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 05:08:45 PM »

I have looked into sugars in fruit - the body converts it differently to that in processed foods.  Nurse said not to worry.

I suppose that as you have to watch your cholesterol you have to eat something so at least fruit doesn’t contain fat.
OH was offered a course with a dietician.   He did it (it was about 10 sessions) He said it was very informative

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2023, 06:30:26 PM »

MayB he should write a book ;-). 

Taz2

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2023, 10:49:15 PM »

littleminnie - which fruits as these have a different type of natural sugar  :-\

Taz - when your partner gets as far as us, I'll give him a glass of water and a loo break ;-).  Lack of exercise is my problem - laziness!   I will have the bloods tested end of Aug beginning Sept to see if my gardening and extra walking makes a difference.

Thank you. He'll look forward to his water. 🤣 He has been told he has to wait a year for another blood test to see if he is no longer pre-diabetic. As well as his diet he also does the fasting window where he only eats or drinks (apart from black coffee or water) between 10.30 a.m. and 8.30p.m. I can't do that. Get too hungry  ::)

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2023, 07:39:26 AM »

In the wild hunter gathers would have eaten their fill then slept.  Until the next big chase.  Which was mainly meat.  In this busy life style the body isn't designed to fast.  I can't go without food - I get suddenly very weak, nauseous and anxious  :-\

littleminnie

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2023, 12:06:50 PM »

MayB he should write a book ;-).

;D   No need, they gave him one
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 03:46:37 PM by littleminnie »

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2023, 01:51:59 PM »

8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6