Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Gut Issues After Colonoscopy  (Read 2659 times)

Ayesha

Gut Issues After Colonoscopy
« on: November 21, 2022, 01:45:28 PM »

I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and I am still waiting for my gut to recover. I am assuming that the prep that you have to drink has cleared away all my good bacteria and enzymes and leaving me with a slight burning in the stomach, like when you can't eat garlic but you do by mistake leaving you with that burning feeling.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get my digestive system back to normal.

Flossieteacake

Re: Gut Issues After Colonoscopy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 01:56:17 PM »

I am sorry to hear this Ayesha. How about taking a probiotic? I find Optibac Everyday excellent. I take them every single day.

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 02:40:46 PM »

Thanks, Flossieteacake for the suggestion. I must admit to never taking any probiotics in the past. I will certainly check Optibac out.

Silly of me not to realise that as an oldie I should have realised this could happen  ::)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 02:55:46 PM »

You are not silly. I did not know that would happen either. I find Optibac great but only the Everyday ones. Actually, if you email them for advice they are very helpful.

Ayesha

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 07:51:22 PM »

Had a look at their website and its full of very useful information on different probiotics. I've book marked for future reference.

Thanks again, Flossieteacake X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 07:55:18 PM »

Had a look at their website and its full of very useful information on different probiotics. I've book marked for future reference.

Thanks again, Flossieteacake X

Oh great! I am so pleased.  :)

Lanie66

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2022, 06:33:35 PM »

Hi Ayesha

While the probiotics you find take effect why not try a low fibre diet for a few days which is gentle on the gut and introduce fibre slowly after that.

Hope you feel better soon

Lx

Ayesha

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 07:47:07 PM »

Thank you, Lanie66.  I do have a high fibre diet and didn't think to be more careful after the procedure and carried on as usual, big mistake!
Three weeks on and I am just beginning to feel a little bit better, I obviously didn't give my gut more time to develop the good bacteria, it's extraordinary the effect the colonoscopy prep has on your body!

Lanie66

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 06:11:27 PM »

Great news :-\, I've gone one coming up soon  :(

Glad you're getting back to normal

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 07:42:00 PM »

Looking online it seems that the mirobiome fully restores between two and four weeks after the prep. I can't find anything that mentions stomach problems after bowel prep but I'm sure you're not the only one.

Taz x

Ayesha

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 10:33:43 PM »

Throw taking PPI's into the mix and I was asking for trouble according to what I have read online. Wish I had taken probiotics before the colonoscopy to protect my stomach more. The prep has left me with mild gastritis symptoms but each day it's a little bit better!

Good luck with your colonoscopy, Lanie66  :)

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 05:21:32 PM »

Update: Five weeks on from the Colonoscopy I had to see my GP, although the burning symptoms in my stomach and the bad taste in my mouth was easing, I still didn't feel well.
GP straight away said it was Gastritis caused by the colonoscopy prep and prescribed Gaviscon 4 times a day before meals.

Again I feel as we age we can't tolerate things as much as when we were young and have to be cautious and know what to expect and do if we experience side effects from procedures.  Always good to be aware!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 06:58:16 PM »

No wonder you have been feeling poorly. Gastritis sounds awful. It is good you saw your GP and you have Gaviscon. I really hope you feel better soon.

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2022, 01:55:47 PM »

Thank you, Flossieteacake. Yes, I am definitely on the mend now in time for all that Christmas food.  ;D

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2022, 02:19:38 PM »

Thank you, Flossieteacake. Yes, I am definitely on the mend now in time for all that Christmas food.  ;D

Haha, perfect timing! ;D