Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Haemochromatosis  (Read 1762 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Haemochromatosis
« on: December 22, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »

Any1 have any experience of this?  My nephew has problems which may be caused by his body not shedding iron, he's been back/forth to Hospital/s for 14 months.  Due to see a Consultant in the New Year.

Both nephews have 'liked a drink'  :drunk: since an early age .....  >:(  :-X could alcohol have attributed?

Dierdre

Re: Haemochromatosis
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:31:12 PM »

It's a heredity gene, nothing to do with alcohol. Both parents have to have it to pass it on to the child, if just one parent has it the child will be a carrier but not have it themselves.

Marchlove

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 09:39:35 PM »

Yes it’s a hereditary gene condition, but that’s not the complete answer, as people without the gene can develop haemochromatosis.
I’m such a person and my consultant has confirmed this.

M x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »

Tnx.  If that's the case, the Can of Worms  :o won't be opened  ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 11:43:42 AM »

Hello ladies.

I wonder if this condition falls into the category of epigenetics whereby a person can have a genetic pre disposition to a disease but lifestyle can activate the condition?  I understand that many auto immune diseases are thought to follow this pattern. 

If there is a lifestyle element then treatment can be helpful by making the necessary changes.

Take care ladies.

K.

Marchlove

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 04:48:21 PM »

I seen Kathleen, epigenetics in this condition as well as numerous others have as big a part to play.

X

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 05:33:16 PM »

Hello again ladies.

When reading up on Ulcerative Colitis I came across the phrase ' genes load the gun but environment pulls the trigger '. I believe this to be true as I have been in remission for a decade due, I believe, to taking a low dose NSAID and eating an anti inflammatory diet.

Take care ladies.

K.

Marchlove

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 05:56:36 PM »

Did you ever try low dose naltrexone Kathleen for your ulcerative colitis or zinc l carnosine?

This particular zinc has worked amazingly for my Gerd (took a few months) and I take the low dose naltrexone for something else but I know it’s also used for UC.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5845217/

X

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 10:15:19 AM »

Hello again Marchlove

I have never taken Naltrexone or Zinc for my UC.
I was diagnosed in 2010 the same month I had my last period infact ( what are the chances lol). I was prescribed steroids for two months and then went into remission. In 2013 I had a minor flare which didn't require steroids and instead I was given a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug which I still take.
As I said I believe my long term remission is due to this medication and the diet that I have followed ever since.

Thank you for your interest and I will check out the article that you have highlighted. I am always open to learning more!

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Marchlove

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2022, 11:28:50 AM »

So pleased to hear that you are staying in remission Kathleen, one less battle to fight at least!

Have a lovely Christmas 🎄

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »

Marchlove.

Thank you for your kind words.

Wishing you a great Christmas and New Year.

Take care.

K.