Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Grey Hair dilemma at 50  (Read 7075 times)

CherrySG

Re: Grey Hair dilemma at 50
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 08:04:09 PM »

I did buy a couple of wigs during the worst of the buzz cut grow-out, as my hair looked so awful! They are the Raquel Welch 'Real Deal' style, Iced Cappuccino and Iced Mocha!!! They are brown with blonde highlights. And also a couple of others, a blonde Bob and a shoulder lengtj wavy brown. They alleviated the lockdown boredom a bit...  ;D

My own hair is just light brown as cannot do my own highlights. My neighbour has just dyed hers a fabulous violet colour, it looks great.

There are some Youtubers with beautiful grey hair. Monique Parent springs to mind but she's stunning with any colour.

Katejo

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 10:47:21 PM »

Grey hair looks ok when styled but if not it can look unflattering.  It's hard work maintaining appearances when you get older, and lockdown makes it worse.  Then the " oh I can't be bothered" feeling starts and it's a slippery slope!  Can't wait to have my hair done, booked in already!
I have booked mine too. My hair is grey and looks much better when shirt and well shaped. Now it looks terrible because I so badly need a cut. I'm going to get some highlights this time to soften the grey.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »

I read that as 'alleviated the lockdown bedroom a bit '  ;D

Ms Peak

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »

Hi folks.
I was a beautiful auburn colour in my younger tears. At 35 I lost my step dad suddenly and became almost grey overnight, dyeing it then began for many years.
Well 12 years ago when I was 46,I'm 58 on Friday I called time on the dyed hair. I sport a beautiful graduated bob in a nice shade of grey and get lots of compliments for my look.
Yep, lockdown got me too so I am groeing my hair to donate to charity for natural hair wigs following cancer treatment. I felt it fitting to make good use of what I have.
Embrace grey its ok
Ms Peaks xx

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 10:19:30 AM »

I think that Trevor Sorbie, the Hairdresser makes real hair wigs Ms Peak.  R U donating yours locally?

Happy birthday for Friday  :cake:

shrosphirelass

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »

When I had my hair cut, there was someone else there having hers cut to donate and my hairdresser said no one would want your thick course hair! The floor was absolutely covered as there was so much of it.

CherrySG

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 11:33:21 AM »

I read that as 'alleviated the lockdown bedroom a bit '  ;D

Ooh er, missus  ;D

CherrySG

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 11:35:22 AM »

When I had my hair cut, there was someone else there having hers cut to donate and my hairdresser said no one would want your thick course hair! The floor was absolutely covered as there was so much of it.

Well, there goes her tip  ;)

Ms Peak

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:45 AM »

Hi folks.
I researched a cancer charity to donate too.
My dear best friend died 10 years ago to breast cancer and paid a fortune for a real hair wig in her time of need. My hair is beautifully soft and a great colour admired by many so tis the right thing to give ot to someone else.
No coarse strands here CKLD only softness and style.....
Ms Peaks

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 12:21:44 PM »

Laziness on the part of the stylist then  >:(.  It has to be cut in a certain way to make it useable anyway.

Hinari hot flush

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2021, 05:08:41 PM »

Hi ladies sorry for the lateness in my reply. Thank you for all your lovely replies.

After thinking about it going grey and short might be a bit much in one go as an insecure hormonal mess so thinking I will hold off going grey at the moment. But as soon as the hairdressers open I will go for a shorter cut to ease the sweaty hair.

Was talking to a few friends on a zoom call and out of the 6 of us the hot flushes have got so bad about half of us are contemplating a short cut. Least having a hot flush on zoom is less embarrassing than in a restaurant lol

On the subject of wigs a lady I knew had chemo and found she was too hot with hot flashes to cope with a wig

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2021, 06:38:46 PM »

Was that a real hair wig?

I washed my mop this morning and it's full of grey which will come off once the stylist gets her scissors on it  ;)

racjen

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »

Having started to go grey in my 20s and dyeing it all that time, I promised myself I'd let it go natural by the time I was 50. By then I actually had very short hair anyway so it wasn't hard to make the transition. By then I was exetremely grey, but people were very complimentary and I was so relieved to be out of the constant tyranny of dyeing I stayed with it. Then within a year I got breast cancer, and lost all my hair anyway! Obviously it grew back grey, but to be honest I was so happy to have hair again I really didn't care. Now, 5 years later and aged 54, I have very long thick grey hair and I love it! Don't let anyone tell you you can't have long hair after a certain age - says who? x

Hinari hot flush

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2021, 07:56:03 PM »

Was that a real hair wig?

I washed my mop this morning and it's full of grey which will come off once the stylist gets her scissors on it  ;)

Oh I don't know, would that make a big difference?

Haha hopefully not long till she can attack the greys

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2021, 07:59:34 PM »

It should make a huge difference.  NHS wigs are not made to measure.  Where as those that are involved with human hair wigs, will make adjustments for the various conditions. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3